5 replies to this topic

#1 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

I have been planning a AR style 9mm carbine build for a few months. For the most part I know where I want the build to go parts wise.

With that said, I have never really tuned the recoil impulse on a rifle and to my embarrassment the reading and watching I have done concerning tuning the recoil impulse of a 9mm carbine seems totally intimidating.  

Additionally, I have herd that the average bolt has a pretty short service life. 

Does anyone know a good tuning recipe for making a smooth shooter? Also does anyone recommend particular brand of 9mm bolt over others? 

For reference I was going to go with a shorter 1:10 twist barrel and I am planning on running it with Lehigh Extreme Defender Rounds. 

Thanks in advance.  

ZCxCkIx.png

#2 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 173 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

This not ay all an answer to your particular question, but why not go with a different platform that is more 9mm friendly? Like a CZ Scorpion or Kriss Vector? The word around the campfire is that PSA will be releasing an MP5 clone sometime this year too.
  • sliestfish likes this

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#3 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

The thought had crossed my mind (I even threw B&T and that Roni Glock carbine doohickey into the mix), but there were a couple of considerations I worked out in my head. 

1) I am planning on going with one of those Stern Defense AD9 magwell adapters for AR lowers. That way I can keep things adaptable and not have a lower that only works with one caliber. So, I guess I am leaning more towards a level of adaptability versus being 9mm friendly.

2) I am a lefty, and I have always been a student of that being a detriment to me as a shooter (In addition to me being 5'6"ish battle gnome lol). I could go ahead and go ambi everything but, if I ever have to fight with a weapon that isn't mine my fine motor skills are gonna be crap. I realize that sounds counter-intuitive with me looking for advice on tuning recoil impulse but I am looking for a level of familiarity across various sub platforms. In this case a common platform like the AR. 

ZCxCkIx.png

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,667 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

As a fellow shirt-ish (5'7"-8") lefty here's what I'm currently looking at in the PCC realm:

1) The new 10mm noveske PCC - looks pretty sweet and is allegedly due to come out soon. My only concern about it the potential cost of magazines and the system itself.

2) Sig MPX - AR ergonomics like the noveske, unfortunately the mags are really pricey and I'm kind of sketchy on Sigs as a whole at the moment because of the recent issues with the P320 and the M17/18 which I believe are indicative of overall QC problems within the company.

3) CZ Scoprion: I really liked MACs review of this gun, and the price point is pretty affordable as are the magazines. The main issue I'm aware of is the mags dont drop free when released.

• sliestfish likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#5 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

1) The new 10mm noveske PCC - looks pretty sweet and is allegedly due to come out soon. My only concern about it the potential cost of magazines and the system itself.

Your reluctance with the Noveske PCC  system is the exact reason I wrote off the idea of the CMMG 9mm Guard. Word is the 9mm Guard is proprietary.

I really like the idea of cross compatibility with Glock mags which is why I really like the idea of using the Stern AD9. 

@Psybain What keeps you from pulling the trigger on a 9mm AR?

ZCxCkIx.png

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,667 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

Higher priority big ticket purchases coming up, and living in CA for the last 4 yrs before I moved to AZ in Nov.

Your reluctance with the Noveske PCC  system is the exact reason I wrote off the idea of the CMMG 9mm Guard. Word is the 9mm Guard is proprietary.

I really like the idea of cross compatibility with Glock mags which is why I really like the idea of using the Stern AD9. 

@Psybain What keeps you from pulling the trigger on a 9mm AR?

• sliestfish likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users