7 replies to this topic

#1 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Anyone out there using an Ankle first kit to carry supplies discretely? I was moving some kit around today, and thought it would be great to be able to carry some of the more critical supplies in a way that wouldn't

A) require me to shuffle kit about

B) Ensure I always had the most critical first aid kit (ABCS) near by in almost any situation

Doing a little reading I came across Ankle mounted first aid kits, similar to an ankle holster, on designed to keep to red instead of getting the red out.

I've come across a few ones (SFD Responder, Rescue Essientials, US Palm Ankle Cargo Cuff) and wanted to see if anyone out there had any experience with them.

• sliestfish likes this

#2 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Phokus Research Group makes one as well. https://www.phokusre...ant=49464776646

I think they have merit. I don't know of anyone that uses them but I also think they are a newer concept. 

Personally, I worry about how it would do if I had to hoof it or sprint. 

ZCxCkIx.png

#3 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

What I’ve read so far says some do good, depending on the quality of the rig. I’m mostly tired of trying to find places to hide things so I don’t feel naked.

They definitely seem very new to market. I’m leaning towards to SFD responder. Best reviews I’ve seen around yet and is a little more customizeable.

I definitely want to make sure I can stuff a booboo kit of some form in there. I run into those much more often than trauma.
  • sliestfish likes this

#4 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

I dont think you would be going wrong with either of those four options. I personally would scratch off the Rescue Essentials product just because it was really jutting off that fellas ankle and making his leg look lumpy. 

I have a feeling the trick with these is making sure you build it around how you dress. In several of those product pictures the wearers are all in adventure clothing.

Adventure clothing is usually a looser fit and wider legged meaning the concealment is possibly over exaggerated. Might also use caution if you switch between a duty boot, high top, and low top. I could see how going from a one to the other would make the fit different. 

Now you have me debating if I need an ankle kit when I'm not running the man purse lol. 

ZCxCkIx.png

#5 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

This is my exact thought process and issues.

I also forgot I have some US funds in my paypal account sitting there from a sale so I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick up the SFD unit. There a surprising lead time on it. It's almost as if they are fully made to order. Which is weird. I'd figure they would do a run of them. Either way, I'll keep the thread active and post a review.

• sliestfish likes this

#6 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

https://imgur.com/gallery/38aNB
  • sliestfish likes this

#7 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Right on man. Thats pretty impressive that you got it within a week considering the lead time they mentioned.

Are you using the shock cord to attach the gloves?

ZCxCkIx.png

#8 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

I was having a trouble ordering it from SFD in the US with the Canadian border crossing. Ended up at the manufacturer in Italy. Italy to Canada in about a week. I am impressed by that. Worked out to be about the same either way.

Currently I have a SOF TT Tourniquet, 4" Israeli Bandage, Small BooBoo kit (Gloves, CPR Shield, Tape, bandages, gauze pads beno wipes, few odds and ends.) On the end (which is a really, really cool design. I actually picked up a belt mount version of the PALS/MOLLE field thing from the manufacturer in Italy) I have my raptor shears and a Fenix E05 attached to a T-Reign lanyard.

Waiting to add in some chest seals. I may swap out for a SWAT-T to have a smaller foot print. You can get a good amount of the essentials in the thing. Wore it yesterday. Going to use it for a bit, take a bunch of pictures, try it with different pants etc. 

It is really nice knowing I way better prepared walking down the street. I don't ever want to be in  the position where I have to choose not to save a life (I.e. don't have gloves/mask for CPR, can't deal with a bad bleed). I've got that covered now. Moves stuff off the belt/pockets too, which is nice. It doesn't ride in a bag which is great. It's attached to your person and holds on tight. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ankle, First Aid, Carry, EDC, Prepared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users