11 replies to this topic

#1 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

What is everyone's favorite way to store emergency food and water at their house?

I ask because I've had problems.  I bought a few of the gallon water jugs from Walmart for a buck. The containers started to leak before they even expired.  The leaked water actually caused damage to some other food in my stash, and even caused mold to form.   Another time, a rat had chewed through a plastic container that I had a few granola bars in (and left his droppings everywhere).

So, how do you store your stash, and why?  Thanks!

• sliestfish likes this

#2 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

I have the Mormon #10 can stuff. Seems to be pretty impervious. I’m skeptical of long term water storage in any type of receptacle that isn’t glass. Plastics are greasy and all but given time, they break down and leech chemicals into the water.
  • Koopa and sliestfish like this

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#3 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

I second @Spartan24 on the glass. I have found that mason jars work well for food. Here are some resources that got me started on canning.

https://www.offgridw...eo-canning-101/ 

https://www.offgridw...e-canning-tips/

For water I would think some form of barrel would be best considering any prepacked method of water storage is going to be made cheaply with plastics that give off BPA. I would also think the big white food safe buckets would work too but I am not certain on that. 

Of course BPA in a survival situation is an argument in itself because is a little plastic particulate going to be that big a deal when trying to stay alive?

ZCxCkIx.png

#4 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:46 PM

Aha! I hadn't thought of glass. That sounds like it could work (albeit heavier and fragiler than plastic). I don't have space for a barrel, so I might just use a few jars of water for now. Thanks guys. Any other ideas out there?
  • sliestfish likes this

#5 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

I use WaterBricks for my water storage and rotate it out every 3 months or so.

1LtuBMc.png?2

#6 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

I have some water, food, and ammo bricks.  They aren't the cheapest, but I do like how they stack like Lego.  I also have a WaterBOB for each of my bathtubs for just-in-time water storage.  You can't beat these for insurance, cost, and capacity.

• ducttapedave likes this

While I breathe I shall defend.

#7 billybogota

billybogota

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

I have some water, food, and ammo bricks.  They aren't the cheapest, but I do like how they stack like Lego.  I also have a WaterBOB for each of my bathtubs for just-in-time water storage.  You can't beat these for insurance, cost, and capacity.

Ah yes -- almost forgot about the WaterBOB. Have one for our tub as well. Pretty neat concept.

1LtuBMc.png?2

#8 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:54 AM

You could also put together a filter system fairly easily and use runoff from the gutter system on your house. This could be easily turned over regularly by using it for other uses around the house. Depending on rainfall in your area this might help to alleviate the need to store as much water.

• Koopa likes this

#9 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

As an update, I experimented with some mason jars. I have about 15 jars that I filled with water and boiled and sealed. Seems to be working ok, but heavy. Will keep you updated.
  • sliestfish likes this

#10 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Mason jars should work is canned. I've stored preserves in them for years. If the pickle brine is still good I would think the water would be fine. I have had some of the snap lids corrode over the years, but I think that would be greatly reduced by not opening the jars for delicious pickles all of the time. I wouldn't be doing the same with water.

As noted, weight would be a big concern. Also bulk storage, since storing water 1 liter at a time may not be ideal .

#11 ksc83

ksc83

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

Here's an idea for you. Water is indeed heavy. Especially when you have it in large containers. In my previous home, the bed was simply a mattress on a platform with drawers on either side. In the middle section under the mattress was a giant empty area. It just so happen to be the perfect size for a waterbob. There was also enough space that I didn't have to move the mattress to get access to it. I had a similar setup behind my fridge. My fridge was angled in the corner of the kitchen which left huge voids on either side. Big enough for a narrow rain barrel on each side. I was able to run hoses from each of those and into the cabinets. I try to use the empty space for water storage. Of course, you need to make sure that whatever you store it in won't leak. I'm not overly concerned about BPA issues, if its a survival situation, that would be the last of my concerns. I do have a Big Berkey, not sure if that would help though.

• Koopa likes this

#12 Refleks

Refleks

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

I used to store water in empty 2 liter soda bottles, since it's quick and light.  You can find carriers that hold 8 at a time and can stack.  Unfortunately these leaked and I found several empty and shriveled up after some months in the closet...

Now, I use 3 and 5 gallon water jugs (like for office water dispensers), keep them unopened, and just swap them out at the store every couple years.

WaterBOB is a great idea IMO for short notice, short duration bulk water storage such as adverse weather or flooding,  but would need some warning to give time to fill it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, food, storage, emergency, cache

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users