9 replies to this topic

#1 CanuckTrucker

CanuckTrucker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

Hey all,

I'm a Canadian trucker, that spends a lot of time in the USA driving around. I wouldn't say I'm becoming more paranoid, but after lurking around here and reading a bunch, I realize I'm pretty under-prepared. There's been a couple or three trucker shootings in the last couple months, that I'm not really thrilled to hear about. I had someone vandalize the truck one night while I was sleeping.

I think that's what led me here, was reading up on prepping. I'd say right now I count on my truck as my "bug out bag". It's got food and water, first aid, defense weapons, clothes, shelter, 120v power, microwave, heat and AC. I've trained myself that 1/4 tanks is my new "empty" so theres always 50 or so gallons. That should be 200 plus miles of driving range, which should get me to a safe area. 

But then after re-evaluating things, I havent looked at the first aid kit, ever. I usually run low on water. Having a folding knife doesn't do much sitting down buckled in, in a pants pocket. It's also a stationary target at night, and largely unmanouverable compared to an automobile while driving.

I don't think I can worry about a random drive by shooting. Other than paying attention I don't know how you'd train for that. I don't think at this point I want to carry a firearm, there is a lot of legality involved. From what little I know it's best to carry with it loaded, for ease of use, but when it comes to LEOs, border crossings, DOT officers, etc I feel it adds too much complexity. I think EDC will be a folding knife and an asp, for defense. Im thinking of adding a fixed blade to the truck, easily accessible from the drivers seat. 

So hi. I'm a basket case now but I have a plan to make myself better.  

#2 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:53 PM

First off, welcome! We do have an active Canadian member, and I am honorary Canadian being from northern Minnesota. I also drove truck across the US and Canada. There’s a wealth of knowledge here. Explore the different forums here reading what’s been posted. Don’t be afraid to ask questions there, I know myself and others have experiences that are very similar to yours and could give tips.
  • CanuckTrucker likes this

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#3 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:41 AM

Go Team Canada!

Live in Saskabush and travel between Alberta, Sask and Manitoba for work a lot. Welcome. Just a heads up on the folder. The CBSA recently turned into tight-asses about folders and a preventing a lot of legal knives from crossing the border. Be aware. I can dig up the press release about it if you want.

Welcome and ask lots of questions. There's some great advice to be found around these parts.

#4 CanuckTrucker

CanuckTrucker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

Go Team Canada!

Live in Saskabush and travel between Alberta, Sask and Manitoba for work a lot. Welcome. Just a heads up on the folder. The CBSA recently turned into tight-asses about folders and a preventing a lot of legal knives from crossing the border. Be aware. I can dig up the press release about it if you want.

Welcome and ask lots of questions. There's some great advice to be found around these parts.

My folder isn't Canada legal anyway. Kershaw Ken Onion Blur. I bought my first one off a Snap On tool truck, then had it confiscated by a LEO. How can I buy it in Canada but it's not legal to own in Canada.......

Anyway, thanks for the heads up! I don't usually have issues with CBSA. However that did cross my mind, I had thought to mount a fixed blade for easy access, but I didn't want to attract a border guards attention, either. I'm contemplating somewhere on the seat, versus somewhere on the dash. At the border I want to be a "grey man" for sure, those guys can do whatever they want.

#5 CanuckTrucker

CanuckTrucker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

I guess my first question is am I stupid for worrying about my safety in the USA. I've been driving almost 3 years now, and besides the recent vandalism and trucker shootings, I haven't had any cause to worry. But then again I'm not "street smart" and have stayed overnight in some rough cities without me knowing they were rough.

#6 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

No, not stupid. However, your safety should be a concern where ever you are. The key: situational awareness. Think like Jason Bourne. I say that only half jokingly. Here’s s great article: https://www.artofman...f-jason-bourne/
I drove truck and delivered to rough neighborhoods. We would always time it to where we showed up right as they opened so we weren’t waiting and vulnerable our on the street. Nashville was one where we’d stop at a truck stop about an hour away and shut down. We’d then start up and head in and arrive when they opened.

Edited by Spartan24, 27 February 2018 - 03:39 PM.

• Spartan24 and CanuckTrucker like this

#7 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

+1 for situational awareness. I live close to Urban reservations and have worked in some dicey areas across the country. Generally speaking gun violence isn't very high on my threat radar, but it's definitely seeing a uptick of late. Edge weapons more often. Ne'er-do-wells and the like. Definitely greeted people at 3 am trying car & house doors.

Traveling is a horse of a different color. As I return to work in the same area I try to stay in the same areas/hotels so I can hope to develop some kind of baseline for reference. When you're moving all the time it can be difficult to do that.

The folder I carry is probably still Canada legal, but not likely CBSA compliant. (Spyderco Matriarch 2) Hell, I carry a Gerber Hinderer (Paramedic knife/tool) for duty/work and I can see an over zealous CBSA guy trying to seize it. With my flying for work I've noticed they've been trying to flex more muscles lately. Which is fantastic when you travel with tools.

#8 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

+1 for situational awareness. I live close to Urban reservations and have worked in some dicey areas across the country. Generally speaking gun violence isn't very high on my threat radar, but it's definitely seeing a uptick of late. Edge weapons more often. Ne'er-do-wells and the like. Definitely greeted people at 3 am trying car & house doors.

Traveling is a horse of a different color. As I return to work in the same area I try to stay in the same areas/hotels so I can hope to develop some kind of baseline for reference. When you're moving all the time it can be difficult to do that.

The folder I carry is probably still Canada legal, but not likely CBSA compliant. (Spyderco Matriarch 2) Hell, I carry a Gerber Hinderer (Paramedic knife/tool) for duty/work and I can see an over zealous CBSA guy trying to seize it. With my flying for work I've noticed they've been trying to flex more muscles lately. Which is fantastic when you travel with tools.

Baseline. So important! Driving truck you have lots of time on your hands. So many I drove with wasted that. I suggest podcasts and audiobooks. I used an app called Audible. What does this have to do with baseline? For your first audiobook I highly suggest a title of “Left of Bang.” It’s about the US Marine Combat Hunter Program. It’s all about situational awareness. Great read with tons of takeaway!

#9 CanuckTrucker

CanuckTrucker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

No, not stupid. However, your safety should be a concern where ever you are. The key: situational awareness. Think like Jason Bourne. I say that only half jokingly. Here’s s great article: https://www.artofman...f-jason-bourne/
I drove truck and delivered to rough neighborhoods. We would always time it to where we showed up right as they opened so we weren’t waiting and vulnerable our on the street. Nashville was one where we’d stop at a truck stop about an hour away and shut down. We’d then start up and head in and arrive when they opened.

Great article!! Looks to be an interesting website, too.

You're right, I wish I knew now what I knew when I was a rookie. The problem with rough neighbourhoods is that there aren't warning signs posted. You don't know when you're in one until it's almost too late. 

#10 CanuckTrucker

CanuckTrucker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:24 PM

+1 for situational awareness. I live close to Urban reservations and have worked in some dicey areas across the country. Generally speaking gun violence isn't very high on my threat radar, but it's definitely seeing a uptick of late. Edge weapons more often. Ne'er-do-wells and the like. Definitely greeted people at 3 am trying car & house doors.

The folder I carry is probably still Canada legal, but not likely CBSA compliant. (Spyderco Matriarch 2) Hell, I carry a Gerber Hinderer (Paramedic knife/tool) for duty/work and I can see an over zealous CBSA guy trying to seize it. With my flying for work I've noticed they've been trying to flex more muscles lately. Which is fantastic when you travel with tools.

My power windows dont work unless you open the door (wiring issue). I got woken up a month ago at 3 am by an OPP officer asking me if my load was legal. Now this was Canada, but in hindsight having to open the door to speak to someone at 3 am is probably not a good defensive move.Thats another one that bugs me is that yes, ok it was an OPP officer. However it could have been a criminal, too.  

And yes you're right. I'm parked in Porter, In for the night. I know theres a huge parking lot here, I have been warned to stay away from Gary IN, so my baseline for the night is on purpose pretty low key. 

It's very hard to have a baseline at a busy truck stop with idiots zooming around all over the place. I prefer nice quiet places to park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users