12 replies to this topic

#1 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

So I am pulling the trigger (literally) on doing an m4 build, likely based off of Aero Precision and magpul components. Before I get too bogged down in it, can anyone offer some good advice (outside of the ITS articles)?

• ducttapedave and sliestfish like this

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Only thing I can offer is to buy the correct tools. There aren't very many, but they make life easier than trying to force a tool to work for you.

Then buy quality components. That's the hard part that's easy. Lol. It's easy because all you gotta do is know what's good and buy it. It's hard because everyone's opinion on quality is different and small wars have been started over who's shit is better.

Personally, I use Colt, BCM, and Daniel Defense parts whenever possible. And I don't mind waiting for stuff to come back in stock if that's what it takes. Do some research into each part, don't rush, and buy once-cry once.
  • sliestfish likes this

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Geissele all the things, or at least alg for the trigger.

Buy once, cry once. Anderson is not your friend.
  • sliestfish likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

By the way, I have to ask why. What's the purpose of this build?

I ask because if you're trying to save money, you usually won't. You can get cheap parts, but in the long run, it'll cost more.

If you're trying to build it for a specific purpose like precision, long range, super short, super lightweight, etc....then we'd need to know for recommending certain parts and whatnot.

If you just want the experience and knowledge that comes with doing it yourself, but still just want typical M4 configuration, then drive on with quality parts and whatnot as already recommend.
  • sliestfish likes this

#5 Spartan24

Spartan24

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern AZ

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

Canadian should be doing a C7A2 build! That’s what I did, or at least was inspired by. I love the 20” with collapsible stock.
That being said, like others have said, buy quality parts. Major upgrade to my build was the trigger. I did a Larue MBT-2S. Awesome trigger. I recommend it. Otherwise, most of my parts were normal manufacturers that are quality. Such as Windham Weaponry, Spikes Tactical, RRA, and PSA Premium.
  • sliestfish likes this

Last wish? I wish... You had... More time.

#6 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

I think Mr. Smarty Pants, Garand Thumb, aka Mike Jones, talks about a lot of elite, custom parts and such for his rifles on his YouTube channel of the same name (GarandThumb). 

I'm quite content with off the shelf stuff.  

• sliestfish likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png​

#7 sliestfish

sliestfish

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

What these guys said ^ 

I have never herd of anything not of quality coming out of Aero's camp and personally I frequent their blemished wares shopping for deals. Brownells is a good spot for tools that will make installing the more difficult pins and springs easier and occasionally you can find good deals on there too. 

I would also get on YouTube in a hurry and clap eyes on either IV8888's build videos or the one from GarandThumb because word on the skreets is that YouTube is gonna be pulling and flagging any content that involves building firearms under their new rules. 

Those video document little tricks that will make installing all the more difficult detents and springs less frustrating. 

ZCxCkIx.png

#8 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

Purpose of the build is to build a gun. I like to tinker, toy with and customize. I'd like to arrive at a rifle that is fun shoot and shoots well. Not looking for long range precision. I'm not there yet. Possibly some 3 gun shooting, moving drills etc.

A big part of it is to learn about the platform. Planning to do a quality build. Not looking to save money. If that was the goal I could find a Norinco it something similar for cheap. I may end up spreading the cost out this way, but that's about it.

On the subject of C7s I just had a long conversation with a sniper friend about that platform. He was not a fan, but when you are issued from the lowest bidder...
  • sliestfish likes this

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

I'm a bit of an AR snob, but my preferences are Sons of Liberty Gun Works, Sionics Weapon Systems, Noveske, Battle Arms Development, and Aero Precision. BCM makes some great stuff too. Also, never forget these words, as they will never steer you wrong:

Geissele All The Things.

• sliestfish likes this

#10 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Hopefully I will get a chance to go to the shop where I am picking up most of the build in person this weekend. I still like the face to face when I deal with a company, especially when I'm looking at this kind of an out lay of money.

They do have some nice looking Giesssele triggers in stock which I may consider.  If I make some progress this weekend I'll post some updates on it.

• sliestfish likes this

#11 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Ordered all the bits and bobs for the build. Downside is my work schedule won't allow me to pick up everything for a couple of weeks. Mix of AeroPrecision, Ballistic Advantage, Ballisitic Advantage, Geiselle, and some MagPul pieces. Should be a fun build. Managed to get some of the major components on sale and already cerakote covered, so it'll be pretty. Which really is the most important part of a build.

• pira114 and sliestfish like this

#12 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

Build list is as follows:

VG6 Gamma Muzzle Break 556

Raptor  LT Charging Handle

M4E1 Upper, Lower & Hand Guard, Urban Tiger Stripe, Aero Precision

Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger

ERGO Enhanced Lower Parts Kit

Ballistic Advantage .223 Wylde Premium Series Barrel, 16" w Gas Block

Aero Carbine Buffer Tube

5.56 BCG, Black Nitride, Aero Precision

Magpul ACS-L Stock, Black

Melonite Gas Tubes, Aero Precision

*** No optics as of yet, no foregrip handle***

optics I will likely do BUIS, 45 offset and an no more than 1-4x Optics, possibly even just a red dot

Work is currently stupid. 1 day of this month only. So the build is behind, but pictures will be forth coming!

#13 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

Build list is as follows:

VG6 Gamma Muzzle Break 556

Raptor  LT Charging Handle

M4E1 Upper, Lower & Hand Guard, Urban Tiger Stripe, Aero Precision

Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger

ERGO Enhanced Lower Parts Kit

Ballistic Advantage .223 Wylde Premium Series Barrel, 16" w Gas Block

Aero Carbine Buffer Tube

5.56 BCG, Black Nitride, Aero Precision

Magpul ACS-L Stock, Black

Melonite Gas Tubes, Aero Precision

*** No optics as of yet, no foregrip handle***

optics I will likely do BUIS, 45 offset and an no more than 1-4x Optics, possibly even just a red dot

Work is currently stupid. 1 day of this month only. So the build is behind, but pictures will be forth coming!

Looks like some solid choices so far. I've got the karve-p and HTP mlok covers from railscales and they feel pretty good so far if you're looking for a grippier surface and handstop for the handguard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users