Photo

Long time listener, first time caller...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smslavin

smslavin

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Well, hi there. I'm Sean.

As the title says, I've been following ITS for a long time, 7 or 8 years. Maybe longer. I spend a significant amount of time in the backcountry, either on foot, on a bike, or in the truck, and this site has always provided great info and resources for those excursions. Thought I'd make myself official and try to give back a little.

My background is pretty diverse as I'm still trying to figure what I want to be when I grow up. My family and I currently reside in Denver having moved here 6 years ago from San Diego. In SD, I had had my own photography studio. The main income stream came from weddings and family portraits but my fun, creative recharge time came from submitting to Surfer and Surfing magazines as well as running around Anza Borrego in a built out FJ Cruiser.

Prior to the studio, I was a NAUI instructor for a small dive shop in Laguna Beach. The man who trained me as a dive master was an ex-UDT from the Vietnam era. The owner of the shop had run the Canadian Coast Guard rescue swimmer teams. Needless to say, they put me through the wringer when it came to water skills. Skills that served me well during my surf photography and continue to serve me now. I taught almost every weekend, worked as a dive master on shop sponsored boat trips and received my CCR certification on the Prism Topaz. I really enjoyed flying that machine and I was able to meet some incredible people because of it.

As a working photographer, I was also graced to meet some incredible people. A handful were Team guys, active, retired and instructors in Coronado. They are, without a doubt, the best people I have ever met. It was an honor for me to be there to photograph their weddings and their families. Unfortunately, several of them are no longer with us as they were lost with Team 6 back in August of 2011 in Afghanistan.

Here in Denver, photography is no longer a full time gig but I am trying to find a way back to it. I spend my free time outdoors as much as possible. I sold the FJ and replaced it with a Tundra and have built it to be more of a mobile photo studio and backcountry exploration vehicle. Sorry, I can no longer use the term 'overlander'. This winter, I spent quite a bit of time up in RMNP and will now very rarely go there in the summer. Winter up there is special and the people hiking/climbing during that time are of a much different mindset.

I'm here to soak up some more outdoor knowledge both for survival and medical skills. I have some ideas on my photography that would put me in some pretty harsh environments. During my dive days, this was pretty important and I had to use the skills far more than I wanted. Both good and bad results came from it. Currently trying to find time to attend the Wilderness First Responder training from Remote Medical. With 3 daughters going 12 different directions, it's a bit difficult to find a month to go to Seattle but hopefully it'll work out.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

Welcome aboard!

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

Welcome! What part of san diego were you in? I got orders there in Aug 2013 and finally freed myself of socal last november - Lived in PB the entire time I was there.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users