#1 Cheap_Seats

Cheap_Seats

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image
stock photo off Kifaru website
If you haven't ever had the pleasure of using Kifaru gear, you are missing out on some of the finest American produced gear available today. Kifaru produces some excellent products to include this Woobie. The Woobie is 66x93 inches and weighs in at about 1.lbs. 8oz.  It is extremely warm. The warmth to weight ratio is incredible.
There is a nice little stuff sack built in, and the entire Woobie packs down to less than the size of a Nalgene bottle. 
I like to use mine as bag liner when it's really cold; Anything 40f and above and the Woobie does fine on it's own. I'm a cold sleeper though, and I'm sure most could use the Woobie in colder temps without issue.
The price is $137 and shipping, which can be a show stopper for some. For me, it replaced my USGI poncho liner and a patrol bag, so I was pleased with the price as I reduced my weight and bulk.
Kifaru is excellent people with first rate customer service. 
The Woobie can be found here
  • SurraKart likes this
Posted Image

#2 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

I've always wanted to pick one up but just haven't had the extra cash to do it.  I've always heard great things from the guys that have them.I agree that Kifaru is top notch gear.  I own a Zulu and its hardcore. 

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

I'll have to check this out.  I can easily see ton's of uses for this!  Heck, I'll put it on my bed!  (My wife may beg to differ...)

#4 Cheap_Seats

Cheap_Seats

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

You wife may steal it from you! It has happened!/wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif
Posted Image

#5 gilligan0211

gilligan0211

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:04 AM

Buy two. My wife and I tried that "share a sleeping bag" number on a camping trip. The other one got wet on the kayak to the island, so guess who was outside by the fire at 2 am trying to get the other bag dried out. This looks like it may solve some of those problems, and reduce bulk. I'll take two! Thanks!9+6? These problems are getting harder!
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

"Its not about living or dying, and its not about failure or success, its about conquering yourself" -George Mallory

#6 Michael Adams

Michael Adams

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

I've had mine for a couple of years and it's been my sleeping bag replacement in Death Valley in early spring and Lake Tahoe in late fall. I'm very happy with it. Definitely buy two, my wife and my daughter both try to steal it...

#7 Ray

Ray

Swabbie

• Plank Owner
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

Best money I've ever spent.  Kept me warm and comfy deployed and still serves me well while in garrison.  I've even convinced three of my buddies to get one and they can't believe they've gone w/o for so long.  the price can be a bit of a showstopper, but it is worth its weight in diamonds. While we're on the subject of Kifaru, you can't go wrong with their stuff sacks either...they can be pricey but they compress all the air out of them and make very large items very small so you have a bit more space in your pack.  Again, i feel they are must owns.if you can't tell, i'm a huge fan of Kifaru's gear.  I own a ZXR and Marauder plus an assortment of accessories.
Posted ImageYou can't volunteer to go to War and then bitch about getting shot at. - COL Ferrando, 1st Recon BN

#8 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

I eyed one of these before starting the deployment and now I'm wishing that I had!  I currently have one of their regulator bags and LOVE it but the smaller size of the woobie would be a plus.  All I need to do is convince the wife to spring for two when I get home!I too love Kifaru gear; their EMR is a great ruck as the duffel bags are indestructible.
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#9 Ray

Ray

Swabbie

• Plank Owner
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

which regulator do you have?  I've been eyeballing them forever now and had i been deployed to OEF with my last unit, i was gonna get one, maybe two.  I am not a fan of the issue stuff so i was looking to get something better.  have you used it alot?  do you use it just at the patrol base or have you used it out on op duty?  if it's an opsec thing, just shoot me a pm if you can.  I haven't used their duffel bags, i've never known anybody who has one but i have used the EMR before...when i was looking to get a bigger pack, i was debating the EMR or MMR but instead i chose to go with the ZXR.My main reasons were the slot pockets and the XTL.  I looked at the volume it could hold and it's just as roomy as a large alice ruck, i didn't want to go too large because at the time, i knew i would never need all that extra space.  I was trying to go with the happy medium.  Nonetheless though, very happy with my zxr and maybe, just maybe i'll upgrade to and EMR just to cover all my bases.
Posted ImageYou can't volunteer to go to War and then bitch about getting shot at. - COL Ferrando, 1st Recon BN

#10 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

I have a Woobie I have been using for years now and multiple trip overseas..They are awesome and Kifaru customer service is awesome..Loki

#11 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

Ray, I have the +20F Long Slick Bag in their compression sack and it has been my constant companion in my S.O. Tech Go Bag Extended where it fits perfectly.  I never would have been able to fit any of the issue sleeping bags in there and had half the temp protection.  It's a little slim in the leg box and shoulders (I'm 6'4'') but that helps keep in the heat and it hasn't had a problem going well below +20 (+2 last use).  I have used it multiple times and the only detractors that I've run across is the crinkle sound (which has mostly gone away after several uses) and the velcro tab that secures the "flaps" doesn't have anywhere to go if you leave the zipper open and it tends to scratch.  These are both very minor and I would tell you to get one since they are light, small-ish when compressed (more so than any issue gear) and retain heat great for those cold desert nights.I love the EMR but it's honestly too big for my applications out here; it can hold my XL 56-P helmet, sleeping bag, extra clothing, etc etc etc but with a gunbearer over armor it's just too much.  Without armor I'd reconsider since it can take the job of three bags but that's not an option for either of us, I'm sure.  I looked at the Marauder, Zulu and ZXR and liked them all and honestly think they would fit my needs better but hindsight is always 20/20.  The S.O. Tech Extended is actually an excellent bag for a quick go-bag  and I would highly recommend it; the vertical styling with handles on both ends plus the messenger-style shoulder strap lets it slip in small places (vertically or horizontally), the two large pockets on the front hold at least 4 .223 magazines each while the interior holds a toiletry kit, sleeping bag, extra set of clothes, flipflops (in the hydration pocket) multiple CLIF bars in the stuff pockets and the MOLLE on the sides let you put whatever you need to hold the gear you get to most often.
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#12 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm thinking about buying the Kifaru Doobie (Double Woobie) pretty soon.
Posted Image

#13 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

I forgot to ask in my last post, but if I buy the Woobie for a much cheaper cost, do you think I'll still be adequately warm in Normal New England Spring Campouts? I would like to know so I can save some money on this phenomenal piece of Kit, and am always on the market for new, fast Snivel Gear. The thing is that it takes a long time for me to get cold, but when I finally get cold it's really bad and I HATE IT!!! Any help would be appreciated.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users