• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Willz

Willz

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Has anyone ever considered the things you can do to 'uparmor' your own car/vehicle? Ive been toying with the idea of buying steel plates and cutting/fitting them to the inside of someF-150 doors. Just to see if I can mange it with out hurting the drivability/utility of the truck. Weight is not an issue in this respect since I have already reinforced the hinges and the frame seems sturdy enough. Only obstical would be trying to roll down the windows…The ideas are still being fleshed out, but with an old F-150, some basic tools, and lots of free time, the prognoses looks good.Related – I had a friend who piled up sandbags behind his driver seat in another F-150 single cab. Was multipurposed, but the protection was sound. Anyone else had any similiar ideas or actual experiences in doing this kind of thing? Just curious to see what other people have come up with.

Edited by Willz, 29 May 2011 - 09:11 PM.

/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.pngAdapt, Improvise, Overcome

#2 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

Your looking at a few aspects to this: One depending on the level of armoring up you might need a license in your state.Second what are you wanting to defeat when uparmoring?Third what type engine are you running? With the extra weight your going to need the power to be able to 1) move the vehicle with this weight and 2) get up and go when you need to get out of the area you are using the armor to defend against. There are companies out there that does this type of work. I can tell you just seeing a 7-series BMW with level 3 armor your looking at about $80k just for the upgrade. Loki

#3 Willz

Willz

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the helpful info. I had the same line of thinking when I cooked this idea up.1) For the amount of up-armoring Im doing, I wont need a license.2) Pistol Calibers, meaning relatively thin steel plating.3) I'm rocking a 5.4L V8 (4x4) on a light weight F-150 work truck. So power is no problem.Oh yeh, that's a lot of money. No doubt its worth it. However, this on the other hand is more of a DIY project being done at the lowest price for fun. In fact I plan to hit some Junk yards for the necessary parts. Obviously I will test out the grade of the steel etc before adding it haphazardly to my vehicle. Still have a lot of brain storming to do.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.pngAdapt, Improvise, Overcome

#4 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

You have to think of the little things. As someone who lifted trucks to fourwheel and beat the hell out of you learn one important fact, upgrading one thing, weakens another. You can pop your door interior off and slap all kinds of steel inside, easy project, fairly cheap and would be effective... until your hinges give out. Welding the hinges would help from keeping the door from sagging a few years down the road, until the sheet metal (either on the A pillar, or the door itself) weakens from repeated opening and closing. It *should* be a fairly simple project to reinforce that also if you found later that it wasn't as strong as first suspected. Depending on how thick you go you may want to stiffen up your shocks also up front to ensure that having the extra weight on the outter vehicle doesn't pose any problems with highway speeds. Not much can be done with the windows without dropping the big bucks on that (and sacrificing how far the window goes down a lot of the time).  You will also have to do some testing to see what glue will hold the metals together the best and glue them inside. Otherwise they will 1) rattle like crazy and 2) may not work when actually shot at (rounds may actually deflect rounds inside if the metal can rattle around) Also, which way are you going to have them deflect? Up, down, or into a "V" that opens out away from the vehicle? If its up, you may catch a round in the noggin while you are driving. If down, you may deflect a round into your foot if you are using it as cover.  I played inside of Steven Segals personal Class 6 armor suburban a while back and I was beyond impressed with the thickness of the windows, doors, and even the tires on that thing. The COMMS inside were also pretty impressive. But then I learned of the six year life of the vehicle, kind of makes it a moot point when the life of the vehicle is nothing anymore as everything else wears out four times faster than a stock vehicle.   I really hope you continue with this project and post how it's going. As I too have thought about this a few times (mostly when I was given stiff kevlar wall panels a few years back to destroy)
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#5 Richard

Richard

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

Another option you might want to consider is using old soft body armor panels.  Old body armor is still very effective at stopping handgun bullets, and offers some advantages over steel:
  • lighter weight
  • less noise
  • can be easily concealed inside door panels
  • can easily be molded/shaped around odd bends and corners
  • actually can deaden road noise to make for a quieter ride
There are a lot of people that install aftermarket sound deadening in door panels.  These sheets are not much thinner than many body armor panels, so I don't expect there would be any issues on installing them inside the door.  That way they are out of your way, and not seen by prying eyes.Also, soft body armor can be incorporated into the seat backs fairly easily.  I would imagine you could sew them in overlapping panels across the entire back of the seat(s) to provide excellent protection.You can sometimes find them through state auctions, but it would probably be easiest via this company:  http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bullet_proof_Vests_Catalog.shtml .  I've never dealt with them, but I have read good things about them on a few forum threads.  You can get 1/2 vests for $50.  You might be able to work a deal if you wanted more than one or two.Just a thought.-Richard
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.pngBlueSheepdog - Police Training

#6 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Richard good call on the body armor, we have an article in the que right now on how you can use your old vest panels. Or you could always do what the cartels are doing.

Edited by CENTCOMSurvivor, 07 June 2011 - 08:11 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

We need to stop selling semis in the US! The Cartels are buying the from dealers and using them to for illegal purposes! What? I thought that argument ALWAYS worked./wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_rolleyes.gif

#8 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

On the cheap, some old bullet proof vests could be aligned on the interior of the vehicle.  Wouldn't look great, but might help out.  I know there is some bullet proof clear panels you can put on the windows of some vehicles such as the chevy tahoe.  Weight and cost are definitely limiting factors for that kind of stuff.  uparmoring is probably a requirement for living in Detroit or some such place.

#9 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

For the health of the forums it is preferable to start new threads rather than revive long dormant ones.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users