• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

I've been browsing the various topics and noticed there isn't much discussion regarding food / rations. I was surprised to see how few even mention it as an item in their bug-out bags.I'm currently re-evaluating my food storage plan and options; I originally maintained MRE's but they're starting to reach the end of their shelf-life and need to be replaced soon. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with MRE's as a food source and lord knows I've eaten my share.... as part of my planning process I'm considering other options and I'd be curious to hear other opinions with respect to the following:
  • Food type (MRE, Nitro-Pak, Mountain House, etc)
  • From your perspective, benefits of choosen food type
  • size, weight, cost, calories, water requirements, etc
[*]From your perspective, shortfalls of choosen food type
  • size, weight, cost, calories, water requirements, etc
[*]Primarily for those not using MREs: If you've eaten your food source in the past, how did it compare to other food storage types and did it meet your expectations

#2 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

Personally, I'd still go with MRE's. However, Mountain Houses and Backpackers Pantry are nice to, but require water. Some more military alternatives are the new First-Strike Ration (FSR) the new model Cold Weather MREs and the New model LRPs, the only problem with these is that they are ridiculously hard to find.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users