• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

I'm curious to see what you guys say about this. How do you dress when you conceal carry? I see a lot of people at the ranges and gun stores that think they're "concealed," but stick out like a sore thumb to me. My biggest indicator that someone may be concealing a firearm is tactical clothing. The guy walking around wearing BDU pants tucked into his combat boots with a tactical vest on and orange aviators isn't "concealed" to me. I know there's a good chance that he's carrying.When I'm out and about, I never wear any clothing that indicates tactical training or experience, (Major League Doorkicker Shirts....etc) or any firearm experience, (Team Glock Shirt....etc.) While I own this type of clothing, I won't wear it unless I'm at home or maybe heading to the range or a training class. I normally wear EOtech Shorts and a 5.11 polo. The shorts have a good number of pockets, but are very low key and aren't "tactical" looking and the polo's are just standard polos with a pocket on the sleeve for pens. Am I too paranoid? What kind of clothing do you guys wear when you're out and about?
Posted Image

#2 Irishmanlost

Irishmanlost

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Well being young I generally just throw on jeans or cargo shorts, this is also due to no CCW. As for the various "tacticool" shirts, I guarantee 99% of people where I live would have no clue of what they mean lol. I feel if your pockets are full of stuff a good belt is essential, it doesn't have to be a riggers one, but it can help distribute weight. Especially if you have a couple of pouches for stuff in it.When I'm in the countryside I generally wear a pair of Woodland BDU's and a fleece jacket.Nobody could really care less, like who the hell would suspect some lanky, 15 year old, Irish kid is up to anything /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_wink.gif.
"The More you sweat in Peace, The less you bleed in war"- Inscription above the entrance to the Navy SEAL Training Center   "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."- George Orwell

#3 Mike_86

Mike_86

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Well, I favour the normal casual outfit anyone, anywhere can wear without arousing suspicion: Jeans, sneakers and a fairly wide (for my body type) t-shirt in the summer or jeans-like pants, Timberland boots, a turtleneck sweater and -usually- my favourite black leather jacket in winter plus my usual Oakley M-Frames, Luminox 3001 and (depending where I'm going although I have it with me most of the time) my Maxpedition Thermite with the EDC kit.Either way, I can still conceal a KA-BAR TDI, a Benchmade 553 (primary blades - left and right hand side respectively) plus a SOG Visionary II (backup in case one of my primary blades ends up damaged or lost) plus a Victorinox Swiss Champ and two Victorinox Sentinels (one straight and one serrated - none of the Victorinoxes are meant for self-defence by the way) and should I feel the need for it, I can always put something more... "specialized" in the main compartment of the "Thermite". I've done it a few times... No one noticed anything... And the best thing about the "Thermite" is that it already contains everything I need when I leave home and there's still space available should I need it... When I have to go somewhere, I just strap on the "Thermite" and I know that everything is there not to mention that it's more secure than having all kinds on stuff in my pockets... Easier to ditch too if I have to... (my primary blades are on a standard, 1,25" formal-uniform belt without any markings on the buckle)Should I ever wear say... my Blackhawk tactical pants, etc... That means one of three things:1. I'm going to an airsoft game2. I'm going hiking/rafting/etc or3. Something is very, very wrong and/or I expect some very serious trouble. So far, #3 never occurred (and I hope it won't in the future).

#4 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

I hear what you're saying Rob, but Irishman makes a good point.... most people are clueless when it comes to their surroundings.As for clothing when carrying, I don't wear anything different than any other day. The success of not being noticable comes from selecting a proper concealable pistol and a quality holster. Personally, I carry a XD sub-compact in a tuckable holster but I rarely tuck my shirt in which makes concealment easier.Basically it all comes down to mindset and if a person is carrying and doesn't take the necessary steps to not look obvious then maybe they shouldn't be carrying to begin with.

#5 belovedveritas

belovedveritas

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

I agree that when people have "tactical" clothing on that those of us who follow such things immediately notice, however I think that a Doorkicker or Infidel shirt probably won't raise to many eyebrows in regard to concealed carry. They might think you're a right-winger but most people probably won't think T-shirt = Gun. I wear jeans 90% of the time and shirts that button and hang a little loose around my waist or polo shirts. I carry a 3" Kimber in a SuperTuck holster and she hides pretty well. That being said - if you notice the guy in tacitcal clothing - there's a good chance he would recognize and think the same of you if your apparel is similar. So why not err on the side of caution and stay truly "concealed?"  
Posted Image

#6 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

Good points beloved.... I guess one of the questions I tend to ask myself is unless their job requires it or they are enroute to an activity that necessitates it, why does a person wear tactical clothing as everyday wear? I've deployed more than once down range where my tactical clothing consisted of blue jeans, polo shirt and some form of low cut or 3/4 cut footwear.As for the people I sometimes see wearing "cool guy" clothes... I look at the whole package... case-in-point, not too long ago I was at an outdoor range and a few benches down were a couple of guys tac'd out to the max with shirts, hats and accessories. Both were shooting nice AR's, one with a Nikon the other an Acog. During a cease fire to check targets after about an hour of shooting (100 yrd) I noticed that both of their targets looked like a shotgun pattern.Just because you give a guy a power saw it doesn't make him a carpenter.... it just might make him more efficient at producing sawdust....

#7 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

Liles said:

Just because you give a guy a power saw it doesn't make him a carpenter.... it just might make him more efficient at producing sawdust....

Exactly...I think some people like to look tacticool!
  • LMTGUNNER likes this
Posted Image

#8 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

But just to be fair... some of the clothing can be more comfortable and for that reason I'm sure there are people who wear it for purely that reason.

#9 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Liles said:

But just to be fair... some of the clothing can be more comfortable and for that reason I'm sure there are people who wear it for purely that reason.

That's very true. Some of most comfortable clothes would be considered "tacticool." I guess it all depends on the situation. I agree that most people are not observant of their surroundings and wouldn't notice tactical clothing, but I still feel like I don't want to advertise it to those that do. I think the phrase "Concealed means concealed" means a lot. I agree with your statement about mindset. I think maybe I feel like people are watching me closer when I'm carrying...nothing like a little dose of paranoia eh?
Posted Image

#10 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Rob Henderson said:

I think maybe I feel like people are watching me closer when I'm carrying...nothing like a little dose of paranoia eh?

You bring up an interesting aspect... do you think you behave or carry yourself differently when you do carry?I don't carry all the time but when I do I pay more attention to how I interact with my kids (girls)... they are very much "Daddy's Girls" and it's not uncommon for them to want to hug me for no reason. When we're in public and they go to do that I position myself so as not to silhouett the fact I'm carrying when they hug me.Other than that, sometimes I'll almost make a game of it and will actually pay more attention to the people around me to see if they might even suspect I'm carrying or something might be 'unusual'... and as we've already acknowledged, a majority of the people seem to be completely oblivious of their surroundings.

#11 LAPyroFighter

LAPyroFighter

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

All - I agree with most of the comments above.  I do believe most people don't see "tactical" gear as "hey this guy's carrying a gun".  However if you walk in with BDU's, Rigger belt, a Tan tucked in t-shirt, combat boots, and a bulge on your side or back might show some suspension. We can typically call out most people in a crowd and say if they are carrying because we carry ourselves, and we are (hopefully) trained and pay attention to everything around us...normal america is usually in la la land. I typically wear cargo shorts of various brands, nike shocks, and a polo (5.11/Eotac/LAPG)  that's a little bigger on me to conceal my G26 IWB and a Ball Cap.  That's typical for me in the summer.  Winter is usually jeans, long sleeve polo, and a half zip sweatshirt baggy carrying my G26.  I never saw the point of carrying different weapons based on season. I do on occasion wear my eotac discreet khaki's and a polo while i'm out with a pair of boots, but I don't tuck my shirt in.  I think we are so concerned if others notice we are carrying that we build this elaborate system to ensure no one "thinks" we are carrying when most people don't.  I don't wear my CCW or Gun shirts when I'm out unless I have to run to Wally World or Target for something. But I always just dress comfortable and if someone sees my gun then oh well...that was my fault for not bending at the knees or me accidently resting my hand on it when I'm carrying at 3o'clock./wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_stick.gif 
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 deltakilo

deltakilo

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:23 AM

i generally dress pretty normal. jeans, boots, tshirt, and button-up over top. 
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

#13 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

Liles said:

You bring up an interesting aspect... do you think you behave or carry yourself differently when you do carry? 

Yes I think I do. When I carry, I tend to keep my arm tighter to my body and my situational awareness is even higher. I'm very careful especially in groups of people. Anytime someone hugs me, (which happens more frequently than I would expect...weird,) I usually try to get their arms up higher. Sometimes I'm not successful and they ask me about it. "It's my cell phone," is usually my standard response.
Posted Image

#14 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

Rob Henderson said:

Anytime someone hugs me, (which happens more frequently than I would expect...weird,) I usually try to get their arms up higher.

Maybe it's because you're such a lovable guy?But seriously, other than keeping your arm closer to block your carry side and being more aware, you don't think you visually appear to draw unusual attention though....

#15 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Liles said:

But seriously, other than keeping your arm closer to block your carry side and being more aware, you don't think you visually appear to draw unusual attention though....

I don't believe that I do. I'm used to carrying now and pretty much carry everywhere with me. I'm probably more suspicious looking when I not carrying because I'm nervous. LOL
Posted Image

#16 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

Liles said:

Rob Henderson said:

Anytime someone hugs me, (which happens more frequently than I would expect…weird,) I usually try to get their arms up higher.

Maybe it's because you're such a lovable guy? 

Maybe it's because I wear this shirt all the time…. Posted Image

Edited by Rob Henderson, 26 July 2011 - 08:05 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

Rob Henderson said:

Liles said:

Rob Henderson said:

Anytime someone hugs me, (which happens more frequently than I would expect…weird,) I usually try to get their arms up higher.

Maybe it's because you're such a lovable guy? 

Maybe it's because I wear this shirt all the time…. Posted Image

All while packing heat.... does it also come in a distressed look?

#18 PistoleroJesse

PistoleroJesse

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

Not being from any kind of military background, the only tacticool stuff I have is a Warbelt, and gear bags for getting stuff to the range. I mostly wear Carhartt, Northface, Columbia, that kind of stuff. Generally a polo or buttoned down shirt, rarely a t-shirt unless I'm exercising. I'm an engineer so none of that seems out of place at work or off work.Since I'm not allowed to carry at work, the shirts are tucked in at work, untucked when not at work. I'm guessing most people rationalize the untucking as being more comfortable... and they are right. I'm more comfortable when I'm armed. At least I'm allowed to carry my EDC blade at work though.As far as the tacticool people: yea you can spot them and they can spot each other. But that's part of the 'club' mentality they have. It's no different than any other group or click of people, they search for an identity and a group that fits it. When they fit with a group of their chosen piers they feel more comfortable. Doesn't mean they can shoot, doesn't mean they can't shoot. It's just different strokes for different folks.

#19 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:10 AM

PistoleroJesse said:

It's just different strokes for different folks.

Very true statement right there!
Posted Image

#20 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I just dress comfortably. Typically I wear billabong, hurley, and other casual clothes, with a good sturdy belt ($12 at walmart) and flip-flops, I avoid dressing like every retiree gone contractor that I've met. (Yeah, it's some unspoken mandate that after you serve in the military and land some .gov contracted job whether it's as a plumber instructor or whiz bang widget power-point reader, that you have to shave your head, grow a goatee, and wear 5.11 pants, hiking boots, and a polo shirt). By wearing slightly larger clothes I have no problem concealing a full size 1911 and spare mag. Also I don't fill every pocket with something for every possible contingency, and I don't carry around a batman-esque utility belt full of gerbers, firestarters, signal flares, secret decoder rings, spare deodorant, etc. Hell, I don't even like carrying my keys because they take up too much space in my pockets.From a tactical perspective, sandals are not the best choice of footwear, but if I'm in a situation where i need to run, ftw, I'm gonna run, whether the shoes keep up with my feet or not. Outside of that the knife, pen, lighter, cell phone, and gun are adequate to get me to my backpack which is full of useful stuff. Do I take the backpack with me everywhere? Not usually, but if I leave town it's definitely in my truck with me. Say what you want about shows like Man vs. Wild and Dual Survival, but I like their mindset. You can't take everything with you always, so be mentally prepared to be creative and use what's available in your environment. Also I think it's part of Murphy's law that whatever emergencies you're prepared for are not the ones you'll experience.
  • tiger-26 likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users