• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

I look like I'm going to the beach all the time. Growing up in Hawaii and now living in florida its just the way I dress. Cargo shorts and a tee shirt is about as dressed up as I get. The only time I wear "tacticool" stuff is when I'm going to the range or training. I have no problem with my IWB Glock 26, extra mag, creds, wallet, phone, and keys. If I go to the kids school, church, or other place where things may go awry I carry a full size magazine. Other than that I keep things really simple.Even when I traveled overseas I always looked like I was heading out to film the next Endless Summer. Being low key is the way to go IMO.
Posted Image

#22 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

CENTCOMSurvivor said:

Being low key is the way to go IMO.

/wp-content/forum-smileys/thumbup.gif
Posted Image

#23 John Doe1348699054

John Doe1348699054

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

I agree with many of the sentiments stated previously by other members. Especially in regards to to the level of comfort offered by some of the Tacticool apparel. Specifically shirts. They are designed with movement in mind. I don't know if it's just me; but I hate shirts that come untucked just because I raise my arm above my shoulders. As for "tells" as it pertains to someone carrying, I usually can tell though I've made it a point to look for these individuals in a crowd. Nothing gives away opsec like sporting a tactical vest, otherwise known as the shoot me first vest. I've never understood peoples propensity for wearing these things. It would seem the only time this would blend in, is if you're out fishing. But hey. Some people like to make it known that they are carrying. Others just like to portray the image. For me I'll skip the obvious "tells" that could make me a target.

#24 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

John Doe said:

Nothing gives away opsec like sporting a tactical vest, otherwise known as the shoot me first vest. 

/wp-content/forum-smileys/24.gif
Posted Image

#25 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

OK lets cover the hugging issue-If its a hot chick most love the feel of something hard when they hug and they wont know the difference what it is on your side. Youll get a strange look and maybe a question.--OK bad idea. Have you thought about the tilted hug? Where you hug at an angle where your holster side arm is under their oppposite arm and vise versa. Its friendly and doesnt scream I just squeezed your boobs against me. Most people wouldnt ever think the difference and the plus side it doesnt allow your shirt to ride up and expose anything.  Or do the handshake with the half back tap hug. . Hope this helps some. Clothing-  You dont need 5.11 pants and Tactical Long sleeve shirts to get around. Depending on your size and your AO would determine how you dress Around your Gun. This is key...I myself dress in shorts and either tshirts or short sleeve "hip" style shirts to try to stay young haha. Or I wear dockers and a nice polo. Wearing a size larger for me doesnt really work well since I am inbetween sizes and one fits great and the size up swamps me. So I have a hard time finding clothes that work that doesnt look like the typical 5.11/Woolrich look. I normally wear Oakley shirts or something from Banana Republic. Other times in winter I love my Tweed jacket. I wear and inside the holster from PCH or an OWB from JMC holster. My jacket normally never comes off since where we go is either dinner or out with friends.  If not then its Suits and you can dress around your gun wit properly tailored suits. Your pockets dont need to be weighed down with 3 knives, 5 mags, etc..One knife is all you really need..spare mag is gtg ..(when was the last time you got into a fire fight that required more than 12-15rounds). One spare is really all you need as a civilian in a CCW style enviorment. Also Check what weapon you are using, I carry a Sig 229R .40 and I can easily dress around it along with my G19. Shoes, I wear sandles a lot myself along with regular shoes and I know I can run over 2miles in Sandles if needed ( I did it oneday since I had to).Lastly I would like to say that the ones you can spot are carrying are the ones that constantly try to adjust their shirts or use their arms to move or adjust their holsters or hold their shirts down when sitting etc..They give themselves away since they draw attention to themselves. The ones that fit it and forget it normally are the ones that no one ever knows. There is a lot more but this is a start. Glad we have a topic like this started. Loki
  • tiger-26 likes this

#26 Storm_Trooper

Storm_Trooper

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:55 AM

I usually wear 5.11 pants, polo or t-shirt (NIKE, ADIDAS, Lonsdale etc.) hiking boots (lowa, Salomon etc.) Oakley sunglassesI'm currently testing the appendix carry with my Glock 26, pretty unusual to me, but seems to be pretty low profileand easy to draw....

#27 RobTheBlob

RobTheBlob

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

I wear the "normal" type of clothing anyone in their 20's would wear. I don't feel the need to let the world know what type of firearms I own or the training I have received. But like someone else mentioned "different strokes for different folks"
"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

#28 nickb512

nickb512

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I usually stick with simple things.  Jeans with a leather belt and a t-shirt.  Depending on the weather I am usually wearing a jacket with several pockets.  Now my style will probably have to change soon since Wisconsin will finally have a CCW law.  I know I will probably avoid the vests or obvious jacket.  Maybe a columbia shirt or something else that hangs loose and light.

#29 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

I save my 5.11 and Woolrich pants for on duty use or training schools.  Yes they are comfy as heck and super practical, but we call them "shoot me first" pants for a reason.  They make you look like a cop.  While most civilians would not pay them any attention an experienced criminal will spot them from 50 yards off.  Do yourself a favor and keep element of surprise on your side.  That being said, almost every pair of pants I own are casual- non tactical-cargo pants.  I gotta have my pockets Posted Image

#30 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

thinbluelion said:

I save my 5.11 and Woolrich pants for on duty use or training schools.  Yes they are comfy as heck and super practical, but we call them "shoot me first" pants for a reason.  They make you look like a cop.  While most civilians would not pay them any attention an experienced criminal will spot them from 50 yards off.  Do yourself a favor and keep element of surprise on your side.  That being said, almost every pair of pants I own are casual- non tactical-cargo pants.  I gotta have my pockets /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_smile.gif

Which 5.11 pants and which Woolrich pants do you have? I have a couple pairs of the 5.11 Tactical Cotton Canvas pants (74251) and I like the fit. I am thinking about trying the Woolrich Elite 4429 pants and was wondering how they compare as far as fit.  Also, for anyone in The 'Plex (DFW metroplex) is there anyplace to buy either of these pants locally?
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

#31 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

I have the Woolrich 4429.  They fit great and allow for a full range of motion without any type of constriction.  I wish I was allowed to wear on patrol instead of just on special operations.  For 5.11 I have a pair of the TDUs.  I prefer the fit of the Woolrich over the 5.11,  it seems cut just a bit looser.

#32 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

I live down in the Houston area.  I don't buy my pants locally as they are quite proud of their prices.  I usually keep an eye of lapolicegear.com or botachtactical.com for when they have sales.If your near Dallas I would recommend GT distributors.  I've had nothing but great service from them.

#33 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

thinbluelion said:

I live down in the Houston area.  I don't buy my pants locally as they are quite proud of their prices.  I usually keep an eye of lapolicegear.com or botachtactical.com for when they have sales.If your near Dallas I would recommend GT distributors.  I've had nothing but great service from them.

Are they LEO/First Responder only or do they sell to civilians?
Posted Image

#34 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

open to the public except for certain LE only firearms and ammo.

#35 louis

louis

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

In a couple previous posts, it sounded like there are tactical and non-tactical cargo pants.   If this is the case, whats the difference.  I wear cargo pants when I run out of clean blue jeans, but have never really considered them a tactical look.  But, I have been wearing cargo pants for 30 years.

#36 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

The tactical pants just have more of a militaristic look to them as opposed to non-tactical cargo pants.  Most non-tac cargo pants only have the two extra thigh pockets, not a dozen different little pockets all over.  Tac pants usually also have reinforced knees and seats.  Plus, like I said in my earlier post, the bad guys know what 5.11s look like.

#37 DirtyHandsRob

DirtyHandsRob

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

this reminds me i need a new pair of cargo type pants........

#38 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

I typically wear just plain regular clothing, no tactical stuff for me expect my ITS shirt.  I am starting to have a problem when I have to dress a little nicer.  I've been working out and slimming down a bit and now I like to wear nice, form fitting clothing and that does make it a lot harder to conceal.  Once I finish school and start my new job I'll have a blazer on most of the time, which should make it a lot easier to hide.  Still not sure what to do with my Clinch Pick when I have to tuck in my shirts.

#39 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

brockb said:

Still not sure what to do with my Clinch Pick when I have to tuck in my shirts.

Ankle holster? If you have to wear a blazer you may consider strapping it to your forearm.

#40 LaevusLevus

LaevusLevus

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Just a pair of Old Navy cargos for me. Short or long. Untucked polo or henley. My XD sub compact in a mtac (iwb) has no problem being hidden. Ive carried for years and only feel uncomfortable when Im unarmed. Which is only when I cant legally carry. Which brings me to Centcoms post above. I havent checked the Fl laws, but in IN carrying at a school is a big NoNo. I love having the right to arm myself in "most" cases, I'm not going to risk losing it by carrying where Im not allowed to. Dont mean to preach, just dont want anybody gettting into trouble.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users