• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 IdahoMike

IdahoMike

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

I just rock normal clothes I don't have any problem packing a mid/full size pistol I think that's because I am at that size where a large is just a tad big but a medium is completely to small.  As for tactical type cargo pantalones, yes I have a few pairs, mostly I wear them when I am lounging around the house, doing yard work, or running around in the Tetons.  Very rarely do I wear them in public primarily because I don't want to look like some wannabe mall cop, and I haven't found a pair within my price range that look semi normal and fit just as good.  Even when I do wear them, I never have a ton of stuff packed in the pockets.  I am kind of a spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch, cell, and Glock kinda guy, no more no less.  I guess I feel like If I have worked my way into a situation where I need more than 15 rounds, I have officially screwed the pooch and got myself into a mess I probably can't get out of anyways.  

Edited by IdahoMike, 14 January 2012 - 05:11 AM.

"The hair on the back of your neck never lies, it never lies"   ~GySgt La Sage

#42 Texas Hooligan

Texas Hooligan

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

I think the less you can look tacticool the better. However this thread made me review my preferred daily apparel and it would appear that I probably draw quite a bit of attention to myself in the winter time. But damnit I wear the stuff cause I like it and its comfy to me. I will outline what I wear most of the time I am out and about with the kiddos in the short Texas winter season (I should preface that if the wifey is out with me the outfit changes to jeans and a pearlsnap/polo as she says I look like I am going to do some yard work in my "preferred" apparel) Mon-Fri I am white collar, slacks and a button down with a jacket/sport coat. Shirt – your basic Soffe t-shirt in black, OD or coyote brown. These are my favorite t-shirts i must have 10 of them.https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d3.scene7.com/is/image/DeltaApparel/M280-3?$Soffe-productView$ Jacket/Vest – my go to cold weather gear is a Ranger Hoodie (one of the older coyote ones) or Stealth jacket OD color, just can't seem to wear anything else. If it isn't cold enough for that but its still chilly I will throw on a Cabelas fleece vest either brown or black.http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/core/media/media.nl?id=15104&c=1126226&h=2654f4eb0176d1851357 Posted Image http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_982411_044_01?rgn=0,0,1398,2000&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=31uZAck6G8EwIXl1AoSdjM Pants/Belt – This is wear I think I draw the most attention to myself. They aren't your standard 5.11 tactical pants but they look a little more "purpose" driven that your standard jeans. They are Columbia Cool Creek Cargo pants and let me tell you, I believe that if you are an active guy or have kids and find yourself bending down all the time these are the best pants money can buy IMO. They are lightweight enough to wear in the summer and get the job done just fine in the winter. I wear them because they stretch, you can hit a catchers stance in an instant and don't have to worry about the crotch ripping out or have your arse hanging out afterwards. They are perfect, save the ghey little belt that is built into them cut that sh!t out first thing. To the belt, to me a good belt is critical and I wear my Ares Gear Cobra belt everywhere, even in the summer. Posted Image Posted Image Shoes – If I am wearing pants I am wearing my Merrell Chameleons. Wouldn't dream of wearing anything else, only took me 10 years to find them. http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is/image/WolverineWorldWide/MRL-W15611-092910?op_usm=0.5,1&wid=1000&hei=1040&qlt=70&fmt=jpg&extend=0,0,0,0 All this being said, I choose this gear because it is what I want to wear not because its tacticool. It took me a long time to find this gear and I have finally found stuff that to me is perfect. This all goes out the window in the summer though its shorts and one of my trusty Soffe Ts or an Under Armor polo with flip flops or a pair of Nikes. I am a serious victim of the tacticool hat though, Larue, TAG, Triad Tactical, MilSpec Monkey you name it I have it. If I am out and about with the wife/kids wearing a hat I generally make a conscious decision to wear my 15yo Carhartt hat as my wife loves it so/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_wink.gif. I would like to add that there is something to be said for the tattered looking coolguy hat with a beat to sh!t IR Flag on the front of it, sort of a "don't eff with me look" to it, just a thought.

Edited by Texas Hooligan, 16 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#43 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

When I'm out and about, I try to keep a low profile. I know that 99% of the people out there pay absolutely zero attention to their surroundings, but I figure if I can blend into the crowd, I'm safer that way. I tend to lean towards polos and button-down shirts with jeans and some form of ball cap. I can easily draw my G19 from concealment if I need to, and I don't have the whole 'tacticool' look. 

#44 Vik

Vik

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

I typically wear Polo's and/or button down shirts but I do wear cargo/5.11/truspec/etc. pants alot. To me its not really about tacticool as it is about comfort and versatility. I have a "high rise" and thus most jeans and khakis tend to rid up alot and are very uncomfortable. I can get a bigger size than I need which solves the problem but then my pants are to big and to baggy.As far as versatility is concerned I have a 2 yr old and I don't like carrying around bags to hold diapers, toys and/or a bottle. I don't always carry that stuff around but if and when I need to its nice to have a pocket just to stuff it in. Thats just my .02 though.

#45 Markus White

Markus White

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Although I do like my 5.11 taclite pro pants, I usually wear some type of non-tactical button up shirt with it. They usually have a very busy pattern, almost hawaiian in style to break up the psudo-tactical look. I want the busy print shirt to help with printing, if and when it happens. I also wear some type of plain brown hikers, and not tac shoes. The 5.11 pants are much more comfortable than jeans, esp. here in Louisiana in summertime, I even wear them as scrub pants for work. I solve the hug issue with always starting the hug at an angle and keep my forearm between my gun and them. It may be a little akward, but they rarely notice the gun. The times that I get that ambush hug and the gun gets grazed, I blame it on "my phone".

#46 uspopo

uspopo

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

For me, I usually go jeans and my Rocky 6" Alpha or Danner boots and a sterile or non-firearms themed tshirt or polo. I will occasionally wear my 5.11 Jean-cut tac-lite pants for warmer temps...Stan
"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#47 Fred Best

Fred Best

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well what we wear for EDC.  Is what we call West coast camo 511 shorts flip flops and a Hawaii shirt nobody would ever supect!!

#48 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

I steer clear of the clothing sold as tactical apperal. Thats just me. I dress business casual. Usually jeans, boots and logo'd polo style shirt. I am a taller and bigger guy. I carry at 4 o'clock OWB in a PSS Kydex. Do i print? Possibly sometimes....but I don't overly concern myself with being, travel  completely CCW. I live in Ga, but travel all over US and sometimes international ( of course not with firearm). When I am regional to my home, its not completely unusual to see a non LEO carrying.  Its also hot a good portion of the year, but I have found a vest that DOES NOT look tactical, but has proven to be completely useful in not only CCW but travel as well. Over a dozen pockets ( even my Ipad), designed for travel and usefulness. I have just recently aquired this vest, but I am assuming I will be able to get away with wearing approx 8 months a year ( depending on where I am).   http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Travel_Vest.shtml I am in no way associated with this company, just appreciating the thoughtfulness put into the garment. The founder was actually recently on Shark Tank. Pretty funny to see. I hope this post was relevant and helpful.  Klark 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#49 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'm still waiting for my CCW, but in the summer I wear my SJ Sharks hat and typically go with the West Coast camo that Fred Best was mentioning (but I usually wear a polo or t-shirt with or without an unbuttoned short sleeve collared shirt). If it's stormy in the summer, or during the other cooler 3/4 of the year, I wear jeans, a hoodie or leather jacket if necessary, and either shies, flipflops, or my black corcoran jump boots depending on how lazy I feel with my footwear that day.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#50 Packet Boy Perseus

Packet Boy Perseus

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Even when I traveled overseas I always looked like I was heading out to film the next Endless Summer. Being low key is the way to go IMO. +1.  I wear Old Navy Cargo Pants (Slim-fit Twill Cargos /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif), Eddie Bauer OD ball cap, and Chetco II Trail Running Shoes OD by Under Armour, its a beauty:http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/Underarmour/1227559-390?fmt=jpg&qlt=30&fit=stretch%2C1&op_sharpen=1&cropN=-0.125%2C-0.125%2C1.25%2C1.25&wid=1025&hei=490

#51 Fred.P

Fred.P

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

My style of clothing is pretty much always jeans/chinos plus a t-shirt (un-tucked) and a long sleeve button-down shirt unbuttoned and un-tucked (usually with sleeves rolled 2 - 3 lengths of the cuff).  Hiking shoes round things out. It is a comfortable get-up, and nobody really notices me at all.  Just the way I like it.

#52 TomS

TomS

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I dress comfortably, and use a good holster. No big deal to me.

#53 WolfGrey

WolfGrey

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

if its cold i usually rock my TAD Gear Ranger hoodie in UE Grey which seems to blend pretty well not to tacticool, a pair of jeans, hiking shoes (i.e. Merell), tshirt.I apendix carry a M&P 9C in a galco IWB holster very minimal printing. 
Posted Image

#54 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I wear jeans and usually a Heavy Metal band t shirt of some sort and my Danner TFX boots.  what else is on my is more of a mystery to everyone but me and my family.   I try to look absolutely the opposite of my profession.
Posted Image Posted Image

#55 Cripes A'Mighty

Cripes A'Mighty

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

I agree with the opinion that the "tackle berry" types who think they are concealing well and aren't sticking out, truly are the sore thumbs in the crowd. You gotta cover your gear, but it still helps to look the part of who you are.
I typically dress in the skater/BMX style clothes, (jeans, chuck T's shoes and a band T-shirt or beat up button down shirt) but I am big into mountain biking and the punk rock style so it makes sense.
Nothing too baggy and none of the oversized tommy Bahamas shirts to cover all my gear.
I carry every day, all day and I just had to experiment with my rig for my gear and how to carry to get the concealment to work for me, and I pack a full size Sig + spare mags.
I agree too that flip flops/sandals are poor choices for tactical purposes, it's true, if you gotta go, you'll go.
There's a company called survival sheath and they make great holsters for deep concealment, that helps with not sticking out and printing like crazy

That's my $.02...,there's lots of good insight in this thread

#56 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

My normal everyday clothes consists of a t-shirt, jeans and Adidis Sambas during the summer. Winter is the same, except with a jacket or long sleeved flannel shirt.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#57 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Shoes – If I am wearing pants I am wearing my Merrell Chameleons. Wouldn't dream of wearing anything else, only took me 10 years to find them.  All this being said, I choose this gear because it is what I want to wear not because its tacticool. It took me a long time to find this gear and I have finally found stuff that to me is perfect. This all goes out the window in the summer though its shorts and one of my trusty Soffe Ts or an Under Armor polo with flip flops or a pair of Nikes. I am a serious victim of the tacticool hat though, Larue, TAG, Triad Tactical, MilSpec Monkey you name it I have it. If I am out and about with the wife/kids wearing a hat I generally make a conscious decision to wear my 15yo Carhartt hat as my wife loves it so/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_wink.gif. I would like to add that there is something to be said for the tattered looking coolguy hat with a beat to sh!t IR Flag on the front of it, sort of a "don't eff with me look" to it, just a thought.

I LOVE MINE!!! Best pair of shoes I've ever bought. They fit like a glove and have been 110% comfortable since the first day I put them on my piggies.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users