Photo

Shellback Tactical Banshee PC and Ares Combat XII pack (A-TACS)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Here are some pics of my Shellback Banshee PC and Ares integrated pack. The Banshee has to be about the best deal around in a USA made PC.  Less than $100 out the door when I drove down to TAG today, and can be found for a little over $100 from Ares.  The pack is their version of a combat sustainment pack with the matching A-TACS webbing.  It's set up to attach to the PC, but comes with very nice shoulder straps as well.  It can carry 6 AR mags in the top plus one or two 3L bladders or on bladder and a radio, etc... Posted Image" alt="Posted Image" /> Posted Image" alt="Posted Image" /> Posted Image" alt="Posted Image" /> Posted Image" alt="Posted Image" />
Posted Image

#2 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

@jinx - how long have you had it and what are the pro's and con's from your perspective? I'm in the market for a PC and have been looking at Mayflower and P.I.G. so far...

#3 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

I have the PIG as well and the PIG is as good as it gets. With that said, the Banshee is 1/3 the price (I paid <$100), very high quality and USA made.  The shoulder straps are not the best design I have seen, but they work.  That can easily be remedied but adding the HSGI shoulder pads.  The carrier is not much bigger than the plate, so there is limited MOLLE space, but that can be a good thing and can help keep things simple.  The cummerbund will not accept soft armor, but you can attach a hard plate carrier.  It is easy to get the plates nice and high where they belong. I just picked up the Banshee, so time will tell overall.  I have a ton of TAG gear (the sewer for Shellback), and it is all high quality. I would say for anyone on a budget, do not even look at overseas made gear when this is out there.
Posted Image

#4 wwade63

wwade63

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Thanks jinx, Like Liles, I have been looking for a new plate carrier and have been looking into the PIG.  Looking at other also such as DBT Fast Attack plate carrier and Blue Force Gear's Light Weight Modular Armor carrier.  Is there a reason you switched from your PIG to the banshee or was it just time to look for other options? Thanks, Stay Safe!
Posted Image

#5 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

I'm not limiting myself to a budget but it does become a factor at a certain point. With respect to the PIG, is it bulky since it has the ribs on the back on the inside to help with air circulation? I have multi-hit plates which will add some bulk in themselves....

#6 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

I did not switch away from the PIG.  It is my primary rig.  The spines in the PIG are not noticeable as far as bulk.  The PIG platform is awesome, period. I am a gear whore, so I picked one of these up to check out.  And, to add to my A-TACS collection.  It is also nice to have a very simple throw and go set up available.  A few mags and a blowout kit.
Posted Image

#7 wwade63

wwade63

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

jinx, Great!  I'm currently running Velocity Systems crematic multi hit plates and level 3 soft armor backing in a low-pro carrier.  Just looking for something more substantial with MOLLE/PALS webbing that will also hold soft armor side inserts as well.  The PIG looks pretty good to me. Thanks for the info. Stay safe!

Edited by wwade63, 19 August 2011 - 07:32 PM.

Posted Image

#8 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

There are a few reviews and pics of the PIG around here if you search.  I have one up as well. Like I said, for anyone on a budget, I would say this Banshee is where it is at.
Posted Image

#9 Irishmanlost

Irishmanlost

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

Looks awesome Jinx ! Quick question, would you be permitted to wear this on a deployment. I realise there is some amendment saying that gear used on a deployment has to be US made ? Irish
"The More you sweat in Peace, The less you bleed in war"- Inscription above the entrance to the Navy SEAL Training Center   "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."- George Orwell

#10 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

The Banshee is US made, but the pattern would prevent me from wearing it.  The units I am likely to deploy with wear CB or MC.
Posted Image

#11 Liles

Liles

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the comments jinx... just ordered a PIG in Ranger Green... figured it would be a versatile base color once limited accessories are added.... I'll post pictures after it arrives.

#12 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Changed up the layout a bit. 
Banshee with HSGI bleeder and EGL Hamhock and low pro M4 mag pouches.[img][img][img]

Posted Image

#13 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Looks good!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif
Posted Image

#14 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have the Banshee too and it is the best Plate Carrier out there for it's intended purposes. When I first opened it up I was actually disappointed with how little MOLLE it had. It is very small, to the point where I could barely MOLLE a 100oz Hydration Carrier, and couldn't fit a large utility pouch on the cummerbund. Another sizing landmark is the fact that it does not accept XL SAPI Plates. If you're a First Responder who wants a carrier for an Active Shooter Situation or you want a lightweight, small Plate Carrier for the range or something, the Banshee is for you. However, if you want a carrier for a 20 klick hump that leads right into a DA mission I'd steer towards a PIG, Eagle PC or MARCIRAS. For the money the Quality and the fact that it is Made in the US, the Banshee can't be beat! P.S. For you Airsofters out there out there, this Carrier rocks for Airsoft! Steer away from that condor china crap, and I don't really like Pantac either.
Posted Image

#15 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

can anyone help with what size to buy. I have been looking for a while and it is very dificult to get support on what size to buy. I am 6 foot tall 205 lbs not fat but no six pack either .
do they all size about the same as i am concidering an eagle or a PIG as well.
I am not sure about a Med or Large as i would like to be able to run it over a combat shirt and also if in a cold enviroment over cold weather gear as well but i dont want it so big it is all over the place either.
Thanks for the help
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#16 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Depends on how broad chested you are. The PIG will suit you well no matter what. If you need XL SAPI plates, then the Banshee will be too small.
Posted Image

#17 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

How does the pig sizing run???
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#18 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

How does the pig sizing run???

One size.
Posted Image

#19 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

oh cool that make it easy. Is SKD the best place to get / look at them
Thanks for all the help but the way..
Posted Image

#20 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

SKD is the only place. PIG is exclusive to them. They are beyond awesome and you will not be disappointed.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users