• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Texas Hooligan

Texas Hooligan

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Ok, I have been looking around for some time now for the "perfect" EDC backpack and I think I have decided on the bag but, I wanted to ask you guys just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Here is the thing though, I am pretty specific about this particular bag so I will give you guys my criteria and see what you think.
  • Black in color
  • MOLLY or PALS on less than 25% of the outside (the less the better but some is useful)
  • Bag should appear somewhat nondescript (no crazy straps everywhere, or something .mil looking)
  • Needs to have laptop storage
  • Must have adequate storage, (nothing HUGE but a nice size bag)
  • Internal storage compartments for small item organization or the ability to add pouches to accomplish the same thing
  • And here is the hard part, MUST be American made
  • Budget is $400-$450 for the whole setup
I have decided on the GR1 with the GR1 Field for additional inside organization. Unless of course you guys have a better idea.Posted Image

Edited by Texas Hooligan, 15 January 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#2 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

The only bad things I've heard about GoRuck are the price and style.  I personally don't have a problem with the style, I think they look low key and pretty cool.  The price is steep, but as I did pony up for the GR2 which should be delivered tomorrow, it wasn't the the only consideration.  I'll give a better idea of how I like it later on in the week after I use it a few days.

#3 IdahoMike

IdahoMike

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Check out some of the offerings from Triple Aught Designs, I think their bags are still American made.  I know some of their clothing is made overseas and they may be phasing out manufacturing in the US but I don't know for sure.
"The hair on the back of your neck never lies, it never lies"   ~GySgt La Sage

#4 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Blue Force Gear is worth looking at IMO. I have a few of their bags waiting for me when I get home and from what I've heard they are the cats ass and I'm dying to try them out. Lifetime warranty, Made in the USA, fully configurable inside. They're discontinuing the bags this year, but you can still find them for pretty decent prices.http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=PA-DAP-PACK-03&Category_Code=DAP http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=PA-DAP&Category_Code=DAP

#5 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

give up now.you're searching for unicorns.You'll end up with a garage full of backpacks if you continue on this quest.
  • nroeber78 and AggieSheepdog like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#6 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

I got my GR2 this morning.  I was actually thinking it would need a signature and that I wouldn't get it today, in the past FedEx has rang the bell and dashed so fast I would have missed them if I wasn't waiting at the door. More than once, I've had to wait days only to pick up my package at their nearby facility.  Then today I was changing my youngest's diaper, a dropped deuce none the less, and as I was finishing up the bell rang. I got to the door as soon as I could, but not as soon as I wanted, just to see the truck driving away.  I looked down to happily see the package on my stoop, I didn't need to sign. Woo-hoo! First thoughts, it's a good size /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_rolleyes.gif, but not too big.  I've been sporting an Oakley Kitchen Sink for the last couple of years, so it wasn't huge in comparison.  Everything is pretty new and stiff, but everything I've read leads me to believe it'll loosen up.  When they say lots of pockets, WOW, there are A LOT of pockets. I didn't even use them all, I'm going to reorganize, but I want it to be organic and not forced.  It does ride high on the back, I don't know if it will sink as it loosens up, but it is pretty comfortable initially. More later in the week.  I'm not going to be using it today, but back to work tomorrow and I'll see how it works.

#7 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

I have the TAD Litespeed in black, and it has easily become my EDC pack.  Their stuff is expensive, but the bags are US made and bomb proof.  It is the perfect size and has a lot of neat features.
Posted Image

#8 Texas Hooligan

Texas Hooligan

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

spenceman said:

give up now.you're searching for unicorns.You'll end up with a garage full of backpacks if you continue on this quest.

This is the current problem, I have 4 bags in the garage now and none of them are quite what I am looking for. I have a TAD FastPack and I like it quite a bit but the one time I took it to work I got a bunch of weird look from people in my office and quite a few comments about it when I took it out visiting customers. It is Foliage so that doesn't help the situation but its a bit to high profile for what I am wanting in an everyday bag. Lots of guys in my office sport backpacks for their work bags but most of them are Swiss Army or Ogio and they look ridiculous to me not to mention they look "cheesy" By far my favorite bag, and it pains me to say this as it is NOT made in America, is my Eberlestock Halftrack. It is my go to ruck for camping, hiking, anything outdoors. So when I decided that I wanted to go with a backpack instead of a briefcase for every day use I set out to find a good American made product and here I am, still looking. It seems that the only bag I have found with all the features I am looking for is the GORUCK bag. Guess I'll order up the GR1 and see how it goes from there.

#9 the1stshot

the1stshot

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm going to second the Litespeed.  I've been using it for a few years now.  I removed the tail and added a couple of small pouches to the front.  Best addition so far was adding two Kifaru Mini-longs to each side.  I can post pictures if anyone is interested.    
Posted Image

#10 Texas Hooligan

Texas Hooligan

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

the1stshot said:

I'm going to second the Litespeed.  I've been using it for a few years now.  I removed the tail and added a couple of small pouches to the front.  Best addition so far was adding two Kifaru Mini-longs to each side.  I can post pictures if anyone is interested.    

Lets see some pics!

#11 thekidd

thekidd

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Pics would be great - Do it, Do it!  TAD backpacks are never in stock!!!  ITS Discreet Messenger Bag Gen 2 - how good is this thing??  Which ITS and Zulu would make a Backpack!!Kj

#12 Winterspite

Winterspite

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Have you looked at the Kifaru Express? They make a MOLLE Express that it doesn't seem you'd want, but the Express should fit most of your requirements.

#13 the1stshot

the1stshot

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

OK.... quick run down.  (Sorry for the overexposed pictures - iPhone camera) 
Closed the bag has a large Velcro area (4"X15") for whatever patches your heart desires. Small pocket below 
(5"X8" in V shape) is perfect for pens and other small items. Above Velcro is long zipper to access 
inside pockets without having to open flap. This was a big selling point to me.  
There are also two side pockets, each large enough to hold a Nagalene bottle.      

Posted Image
Inside of flap is a large map pocket.  Two large side-by-side pockets have a drawbridge to restrict opening if desired.  
Posted Image
Inside each of the pockets is plenty of storage with pockets of various sizes. 
The right one is supposed to hold a med kit (mine is at work right now - I need a second one). 
Posted Image
There is a large Velcro-lined pocket with included holster.  Pictured is a Glock 22.  
Posted Image
There is a large compartment for books and behind that, a padded area for a laptop.  
Posted Image
Below is the ITS Store page with much better pictures and a youtube video. /store/discreet-messenger-bag-gen-2/

Edited by the1stshot, 18 February 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Posted Image

#14 the1stshot

the1stshot

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Ok, now for the Litespeed.  Decent sized Velcro area for patches.  Small pocket above with organization inside.  Comes with a transporter tail, but I never used it.Posted Image Inside are two mesh pockets on the inside of the flap and a large laptop sleeve on the back wall.  Posted Image I added the three small TAD pockets on the front and the Tactical Tailor hard glasses case.  On each side are Kifaru mini longs.  It is a nice pack.  I used it, then the ITS messenger, back to the Litespeed and now using the messenger, which I think I'll be sticking with for a while.  
Posted Image

#15 coreymol

coreymol

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

Ive been using the 5-11 Covert Carry sling pack I love it. 

#16 Kiva

Kiva

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I sort of switch between a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger, in Foliage and a newer Oakley Icon 2.0 in Multicam. I think the Maxpedition would be relatively discreet if it were in black, and it is very useful in its ability to be swung around to the front and accessed without being removed. The Oakley Icon has quite a bit of space, and I personally think it's quite stylish. The multicam isn't very discreet though...but that's not really a requirement for me at the moment. Good luck with your choice, as I have already been down the "Backpack Path of Doom!", and it can get a little ridiculous.  

#17 Medic715

Medic715

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

I've always been partial to my 5.11 Rush MOAB 10. It's a great bag, plenty of room, and I really like the sling carry. Not to mention the concealed carry compartment for a pistol. Posted Image

#18 Huntsman

Huntsman

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have had my GR1 for over a month now and it has been superb. We went rock climbing this weekend. I was able to comfortably pack my 200ft rope(strapped to the molle on the back), 12 carabiners, harness, shoes, chalk bag, trauma kit, food, and my water bottle( also attached to the outside using the ITS skeletonized bottle holder). I have a SOG Seal PUP mounted to the molle on the inside that I kept for some sort of protection. I left my Glock 19 in the car seeing that I wouldn't have my bag on me or within sight at all times. I didn't want anyone digging through my bag and stumble upon it possibly causing a ND. I have been pleased at how the bag is forming itself to the contours of my back. The more I wear it the better it gets.
Posted Image

#19 tylerdurdn71

tylerdurdn71

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

what about the 511 covrt 18.. it seems to cover all bases

#20 davebcarr

davebcarr

Mate

• Crew Member