Photo

Best way to carry duct tape in a low profile EDC. Best solution I've found...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderGod

ThunderGod

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

Morning all, while perusing the site, I came across a very help ful article on the best way to carry duct tape. The author suggested wrapping 18" of tape around paracord and attaching it to a key chain. Brilliant, but, I don't know about you, but I have more than enough crap on my keychain, lol. So I've been devising ways to keep a good chunk of my EDC in my wallet. Bandages, wet naps, Tool Logic card (recently replaced by the Iain Sinclair Cardsharp2), pre threaded needle secure in a coffe straw, etc. But duct tape ? Heres my solution: You ever go into a little corner burger joint and they have the sticker machine right when you walk in ? You know the one, bunch of small, goofy stickers, about 50 cents a piece ? Right next to the gumballs ? Well, shell out your 50 cents and grab one. Take it home and remove the sticker and keep the non stick backing. Cut the backing down to just about credit card size and get yourself about 3 feet of duct tape. slowly and carefully wrap the duct tape lengthwise around the card. Duct tape will easily peel away from itself and this non stick piece of thin plastic. Now you have a quick easy solution to always carrying duct tape on your person, without haveing to lug around a huge roll of the stuff when you dont need it. slap it in your wallet and forget about it until needed. If someone has already had and posted this idea, I apologize, but I haven't seen anyone use this type of solution. Either way, enjoy, and have a safe EDC day !

#2 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

That is a great idea! I carry mine wrapped around one of those fake credit cards that come with new wallets, but it seems a little bulky. I will definitely try this out. Thanks for the tip!

#3 ThunderGod

ThunderGod

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

I've tried the fake cards too, a bit bulkier. The plastic ones Amex send work well, but the paper ones not so much, the duct tape in contact with the paper is rendered useless. Sure its only 4 or 5 inches, but hey, you never know, those could be the 4 or 5 inches you need.

#4 ThunderGod

ThunderGod

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Quick note: I have noticed, over time, the duct tape will get a bit gummy from.... well, butt heat, i suppose Posted Image, so I change mine out every four months or so.

#5 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

I've noticed that "gummy" effect too. I use a specific type of duct tape, I got from an audio/ visual company, that doesn't leave that typical white gluey gunk when you take it off. It's easier to tear, and easier to take off yet it still holds like regular silver tape...  but it doesn't last nearly as long in your pocket/wallet.

#6 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Is that gaffers tape? A guy I knew in high school was in love with gaffers tape. Its the mat black stuff.

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

gaff tape is amazing! my friends and I were all obsessed with it in high school. The maintenance guys at my job when I was in school always used it, so I had a free supply whenever I needed a roll.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#8 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Great job, on exploring new ways to carry EDC duct-tape. Sure helped alot for future EDC. My EDC 100MPH Duct-Tape Roll rides nicely in my North Face, and wont leave my house without it. Good job, and thanks alot!

Edited by Crooks, 23 February 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Omer Baker said:

Is that gaffers tape?  I have a roll of gaffers tape also, but since its more expensive, I only carry that in my camping/ survival gear. Great stuff. The tape in my wallet is another type of duct tape, used for taping  A/V cables to the floor. Essentially the same as gaffers, but not matte black or as durable. 

#10 Luke Counterman

Luke Counterman

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Gaffers tape is amazing stuff for sure. I carry mine on an old cut down gift card.

#11 DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

I watched a youtube video the other day that brought up an interesting point. Wrap duct tape or Gorilla tape (my preference)  By using an old card with your name on it (AAA or college ID) it will serve an additional purpose of IDing you in case of disaster or loss of wallet etc. By using an old card the ID numbers wouldn't work. Thoughts? 

#12 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

ThunderGod said:

Quick note: I have noticed, over time, the duct tape will get a bit gummy from.... well, butt heat, i suppose /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_smile.gif, so I change mine out every four months or so.

You mean you haven't used that duct tape up within four months?!  My wallet flat pack rarely lasts more than three weeks before I need a refill.

#13 Zepoll

Zepoll

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I carry a small maxpedition anenome in my backpack that has all my edc stuff in it. I roll duct tape around one of those membership/rewards cards that I got from some place (I think radio shack) that I trimmed down to fit inside an altoids tin. I have another one that I've wrapped with medical tape as well. Two strips side by side. Both wrapped cards fit inside the tin along with various bandages, burn gels, pain killers and allergy pills. Then the tin goes in the anenome along with misc other stuff. works great.

#14 surfandsummit

surfandsummit

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNewport, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

I carry about 6' wrapped around a regular bic lighter. It leaves enough room for a few feet of electrical tape as well.

#15 Mother73

Mother73

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

How funny, I looked at that DIY, and thought about trying to work it into a bracelet. Maybe alternate between duct and the colored gaffers tape. Mainly because I often don't have my keys on me.

#16 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Great ideas! I'd never thought of carrying tape wrapped around a card or sticker sheet, but that will work great. Looks like I've got a new project for tonight. I like the altoids tin idea too. I'm going to modify my EDC to include the duct tape around a card/sticker sheet in my wallet and then throw an altoids tin in my backpack with duct tape and medical tape set up the same way but in larger quantities.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#17 Beth

Beth

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

I cut a piece of thin, clear plastic report cover to the wanted size and flat wrap GorillaTape in the chosen amount. Report cover is available at any office supply store. Mostly I cut to smaller than credit card size to make it useful (wrapped) in a wallet.

I also EDC A dry hot ironed orange/ yellow bandana, folding it down to pocket size as I iron. Then I slide the ironed bandana into a sterile Gerber Breast Milk Bag, press out the air with a book and seal it. It's at least aseptic. Reinforce the sides, middle & corners with 1" Gorilla tape. Finally, I tape about 40" of flat rolled Gorilla Tape to the bag. This "kit" is carried under my front pocket wallet. Good to foil pickpockets too. The "kit" gives me a bandage , chest wound seal, smoke mask, towel,signal flag and handkerchief. Cheap, easy capable insurance.

#18 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Topic Locked, Please do not Necropost... If something is a multiple year old discussion, start a new topic. 

89BccLb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users