• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

My first post here.  I hoping you guys can point me towards a few options.  I'm looking for a low profile ~3"x5' to 4"x6" utility pouch that I can mount to my 1 1/2" instructor belt for hiking or as 3rd line gear. I want to carry basic survival kit: minor first aid, fire starter, mini flashlight, duct tape, ear plugs, pen/pencil and notepad, a food bar, emergency water straw, water collection baggie, emergency blanket, snare wire, small compass and maybe a swiss army knife.  The stuff of last resort when I've ditched or lost my other gear. I want it small and tightly packed so I can't carry too much and it doesn't bounce around when running/moving.  Let's assume that I won't have pants with bellows pockets to store this stuff either.  I will probably carry it at the small of my back (maybe horizontally), when carrying a holster and mag holders.

#2 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

try armysuplusworld.com and search for "pouches."  I bought one from them a few years ago called the BDU wallet.  I wear it on my belt when working on the ambulance.  It is low profile, but it can hold all kinds of goodies. 

#3 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have a few Pouch recommendations for you, first of all for the type of Equipment you're talking about I recommend both the Tactical Tailor 1V and Tactical Tailor 1H Pouches. These are the same pouch but with different orientations (V-for vertical, H-for horizontal), To give you a size reference, I can fit a Small Add-On Emergency Medical Kit containing an EPI-PEN, a SAM Finger Splint, Multiple CERA Sport Rehydration Mixes, A Homemade Combat Pill Pack, a Tac Med Cravat, a 4-inch ACE Wrap and a NAR S-Rolled Gauze into it nice and snug. I use the 1V Pouch for this purpose while I use the 1H Pouch to house my Level 1 First Aid Kit. Both of them are very basic Pouches with MALICE Clips as connectors (you can attach these to your belt), they come in Black, Ranger Green, Olive Drab (OD), Multi-Cam, Coyote Brown and ACU, and retail for about $17.75 on the Tactical Tailor Website. They are made of 1000 Denier Cordura in the USA by Tactical Tailor (a renowned brand) and have YKK zippers and Paracord Pulls. Another Pouch I recommend is the Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) Small Utility Pouch, I don't know if these pass your dimension specs but they are great, especially if you need something bigger. These are made in the USA of 500 Denier Cordura, retail for about $31.95 and are available in Ranger Green, Black, A-TACS, Multi-Cam, Army Combat (ACU), Coyote Tan and ABU (Airman's Battle Uniform). One Pouch I do not have (Yet), but can see it fitting your rig is the TAG Mini Utility Pouch which retails for $19.95, and has all the previous attributes and colors as the above TAG Product. I hope this helps, give feedback if you choose them and be safe.
Posted Image

#4 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thank you much gentlemen.  I will check out these suggestions.  Good to know about the malice clip use for a belt.I will report back on the pouch that makes the cut.

#5 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Just wanted to provide follow up and thank everyone for their suggestions. I finally bought the Tailor Tactical E&E horizontal pouch for a small-of-the-back belted pouch for use as a last ditch kit on a Wilderness Instructor belt when in the backcountry.  I can also mount it to a MOLLE belt or carrier as necessary.  I plan to fill it with a compass, water purification tabs, freezer plastic bags for water collection/transport, square of heavy aluminum foil, fire starter, Leatherman, aspirin (pain, fever, heart attack), Imodium, compressed gauze, TQ, mini-flashlight, antiseptic wipes, assorted bandaids, duct tape, 10ft paracord, fish hooks?, sewing needle, safety pin, Sharpie, zip ties, etc.   I carry a small backpack when hiking and don't yet know if the pouch will interfere with the backpack's hip belt.http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouches/utility/e-and-e-pouch-horizontalPosted Image

#6 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Just wanted to provide follow up and thank everyone for their suggestions. I finally bought the Tailor Tactical E&E horizontal pouch for a small-of-the-back belted pouch for use as a last ditch kit on a Wilderness Instructor belt when in the backcountry.  I can also mount it to a MOLLE belt or carrier as necessary.  I plan to fill it with a compass, water purification tabs, freezer plastic bags for water collection/transport, square of heavy aluminum foil, fire starter, Leatherman, aspirin (pain, fever, heart attack), Imodium, compressed gauze, TQ, mini-flashlight, antiseptic wipes, assorted bandaids, duct tape, 10ft paracord, fish hooks?, sewing needle, safety pin, Sharpie, zip ties, etc.   I carry a small backpack when hiking and don't yet know if the pouch will interfere with the backpack's hip belt.http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouches/utility/e-and-e-pouch-horizontalPosted Image

#7 twebster

twebster

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

If you are looking for a small pouch, about wallet sized, you might take a look at Tarinco's SOB (Survival Options Belt-Pouch).  I haven;t picked one up yet, but it's an interesting niche pouch with a velcro fast release. http://www.tareinco.com/tareinco-sob-pouch-all-colors/

#8 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Tom Webster said:

If you are looking for a small pouch, about wallet sized, you might take a look at Tarinco's SOB (Survival Options Belt-Pouch).  I haven;t picked one up yet, but it's an interesting niche pouch with a velcro fast release. http://www.tareinco.com/tareinco-sob-pouch-all-colors/

Looks like a neat little pouch.  My goal is to keep the last ditch kit compact and lightweight, for that awe-S#!T moment.  If the Tailor Tactical E&E doesn't work out (it may be too large), I will consider it.   Thanks for the heads up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users