• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

my biggest issue is that my fingers are short, and thin, so I can't stretch width wise enough in the fingers to lose the tip gap. And nothing is worse than gloves that fit like a bad condom. so, stick with half glove, and if it's really cold, slide a pair of the childrens magic stretch gloves under the bike glove. silly? probably. but seems easier than learning to sew.

Have you tried golf gloves? They make cadet sizes for those with shorter fingers. You might be able to find a women's cadet small or a child's glove. The leather gloves will provide some abrasion and heat protection and they also offer pretty good tactile feeling. They will not offer the padding of a mechanic's glove but should provide some protection from the cold.

In really cold weather, you might consider picking up mittens that open at the finger tips to allow the fingers to protrude. The leather golf glove should keep your fingers from sticking to cold metal. I don't live in snow country anymore, but I do see them online from time to time.

#22 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

my biggest issue is that my fingers are short, and thin, so I can't stretch width wise enough in the fingers to lose the tip gap. And nothing is worse than gloves that fit like a bad condom. so, stick with half glove, and if it's really cold, slide a pair of the childrens magic stretch gloves under the bike glove. silly? probably. but seems easier than learning to sew.

Just picked up a set of the OR gear Lumen liners. A small was pretty tight for me, but the fingers were too short. This might be right up your alley. I think this is one of the first gloves that I'll have to bump up to a medium for.

SOS
Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

#23 Mother73

Mother73

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks SKD_Tactical, might look into the Lumen Liner. Price isn't so high I will be irritated if they don't fit. So far, being in North Texas, cold has not been a big concern, but if we make the move to New Mexico, that will change.

#24 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I ended up getting the Mechanix Covert Original (MG-55)

#25 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

I ended up getting the Mechanix Covert Original (MG-55)

I like those! How do they run in size?
Posted Image

#26 TBlood

TBlood

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTeh Internets

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I also have unusually tiny hands for a guy. I use the Wiley-X CAG gloves in a small, and they are still a little big. They're durable, however, and have held up well so far. My issued gloves, on the other hand, are an embarrassing extra-small...
"The unexamind life is not worth living."

#27 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

i have a set of mechanix gloves when i work on my car they seem to fit the same all around so im a medium if you go to a autozone or something like it they usualy have gloves so it should give you a pretty good idea how the mechanix tactical gloves fit

#28 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I used Mechanix M-Pact gloves that they worked pretty well and were fairly inexpensive but the fingertips started wearing through after about a month. After Christmas I plan on upgrading to either a pair of Pig Alpha gloves by SKD or Fury/S.O.L.A.G. gloves with Kevlar by Blackhawk. Doe anyone have any experience with either of the Blackhawks? They are pretty expensive in comparison with Pig and Mechanix and would like to know if the added cost is reflected in quality, comfort, longevity, etc. Also, which closure method do you folks prefer (velcro vs elastic)? I've always used gloves with velcro closure for shooting, bikings, etc. and was wondering if elastic closures tend to be more comfortable or have any probelms keeping the glove in place.

Chris

#29 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Mechanix gloves for me! I've tried the oakley si, found them big in the fingers but a nice glove. I found with the mechanix gloves I can manipulate a weapon very well and have no issue shooting in them, best glove I've found so far

#30 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

The Blackhawk SOLAGs are comfy, but my last pair fell apart super quick. I personally am a big fan of just the simple Nomex flight goves. I use them for everything from shooting to rope rescue. I just wish they made a short cuffed version.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#31 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have a Pair of TAG FR Combat Gloves. They are phenomenal. They are Berry Compliant (Made in USA, the PIGs are Made in Vietnam), they either have soft-padding or hard-protection and are Fire-Retardent. They are the best work-gloves too. They don't have enough dexterity to load .22 LR into bolt-guns, but have more than enough to do standard rifle-manipulation. Another thing I like about them is their breathablity, it's wierd, if they are dry and it's cold, then my hands stay warm, but have a nice-breeze in the hot-weather. They are a little expensive, but they are quality US Made and Fire-Retardent. That being said, they are basically based off of Camelbaks RFI Gloves (Which can be had on Ebay, along withe USMC FROG Version for $12). Hope this helps!
Posted Image

#32 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

The Blackhawk SOLAGs are comfy, but my last pair fell apart super quick. I personally am a big fan of just the simple Nomex flight goves. I use them for everything from shooting to rope rescue. I just wish they made a short cuffed version.

Calico, they do make a short cuffed Nomex flight glove. It is made by Hatch, part number KSG500. Doing a quick search it looks like Midway has them in stock. http://www.midwayusa...ther-and-kevlar
  • CalicoJack likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#33 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

But they're black! Black is so '90s.
  • Davis likes this

#34 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Picky Picky Calico! lol

What color are you looking for? I have a company that makes all my Nomex flight gloves for my company, they are 100% Made in America with 100% Made in America materials. The owner has in the past told me he could do a custom application at my request. If you are interested I can contact him and find out if they would be able to do a custom short cuff pair in a particular color.

Edited by davis.agd, 25 April 2013 - 07:01 PM.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#35 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ooo, custom. Either the standard sage green or desert tan would be awesome.

#36 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hey Calico, I just tried to send you a PM but it did not work, it said you cannot receive Private Messages... I forgot to ask what size you will need? The gloves are sized by number, like 8, 9, 10, 11, etc... I wear size Large in "normal" gloves but in my flight gloves I like them extra tight so I usually get a size 9 because I wear them under my hoist gloves.
Let me know your size and I will try and get in contact and find out if this will be possible or not. I make no promises but it never hurts to ask.

-Davis
  • Lao likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#37 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Still enjoying my PIG Tactical gloves... very nice to shoot in.
Posted Image

#38 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Flat Dark Earth is the new Black =D
  • CalicoJack likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#39 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Ran my Oakley SI Assault gloves hard this weekend and found myself taking them off most of the time I needed more accuracy.
Up close and running hard they are not an issue but the fingers are so padded that I couldn't feel my trigger as much as I liked.
I debated cutting the finger tip off to expose my trigger finger but then I remembered the $80.00 price tag and decided against it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#40 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Ran my Oakley SI Assault gloves hard this weekend and found myself taking them off most of the time I needed more accuracy.
Up close and running hard they are not an issue but the fingers are so padded that I couldn't feel my trigger as much as I liked.
I debated cutting the finger tip off to expose my trigger finger but then I remembered the $80.00 price tag and decided against it.

Are you signed up at us standard issue? Oakleys government le and mil site? The have great deals on those gloves.

Also I agree 100% with your review, I always found myself taking my shooting hand glove off in situations. Had little confidence in my trigger finger with them, not a good sign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users