• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

So, I am finally going to attend a Costa Ludus Enhanced Carbine Course and I am so geeked that I've started planning it 6 months in advance.
My plan is to attend the Ohio event sponsored by Raven Concealment April 23rd because it would not require a plane flight saving me some money and I won't have the headache involved in transporting 2 AR's 2 Pistols and a couple thousand rounds of ammo and 100lbs of gear.

Has anyone else considered taking a course with Costa Ludus, Magpul, or Haley Strategic? I think because of the names involved you will be spending a little bit more money but for whatever reason I am a Costa fan-boy and he is the main reason I'm taking his course.

Anyone else want to join me at the Ohio event?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 river

river

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

When his 2013 schedule came out, I immediately checked it out to see if he would be close by for a class. Yes I watch the Magpul dvds (at lunc at work) and yes I check the webpages for both Chris Costa and Travis Haley. Reminds me to go check on Mr Haley's web page for the 2013 schedule.
I have heard acoupel people who really enjoyed the Magpul course. There was a Travis Haley class recently nearby...which I found out after the fact. Everyone who I attended that I talk to said they really enjoyed it. Some even go as far as to say it is they are the best classes they have ever attended.

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like a good time and it's always best when things work out like this. Have fun and be sure to share a report on how it went. I know a lot of us would love to hear about it!
  • river likes this

#4 river

river

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

I know from watching the Dynamic Handgun dvds I learned a good amount I had not considered. My shooting has improved. My approach is different. It really made me think over things and re-evaluate my shooting.

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

The DVD collection is top notch and always entertaining... be sure to check out the bloopers when you get bored.

I plan to document the whole trip from my home here in Michigan to the drive down, the whole experience from start to finish and I hope to have 2 video cameras going along with the dSLR.
I will likely buy a ContourHD to supplement the borrowed GoPro2, if someone is selling a used one I may jump on it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#6 HardContact0311

HardContact0311

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

I wanna know how it goes. I've thought about it but I've hear that its a really radical training style from the traditional military training. Have fun man :headbang:
Posted Image
Pain is weakness leaving the body

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

HardContact I think that is what is appealing to me.
The training we had in the service is the tried and true methods of combat that have been utilized for 50 years.... things change, and I think to adapt this new method of weapon employment during a rigorous training course is a whole lot safer than trying it out in an actual event.
Truthfully, based on the DVD series I think the military really should incorporate some of their ideas because even though some of what they do may seem awkward they do make sense.

Now granted, I've been out of the service for a while and maybe things have changed.

#8 klunk

klunk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I took his carbine two course last year. It was great! He is definitely a cool dude that wants to help educate his students. I ran out of ammo at 2k rounds. I would bring at least 2500 if I had to do it again.

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

I'm curious if I should go to the Carbine 2 course myself.
Viewing the requirements and what is expected I could fall into the Carbine 2 course but I fear going into it and missing critical lesson taught in course 1.

I guess that just means I'll have to take the second course next year =D

#10 Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I was planning on doing the NC class earlier this year, but got sick. I'm hoping we will see more classes in the mid-atlantic area - flying with that much gear is just out of the question, but an 8 hour drive is doable.

#11 WolfGrey

WolfGrey

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Sounds like fun take lots of pics man!!
Posted Image

#12 Zeroman

Zeroman

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I would love to take a Costa Ludus course. I am in SE Texas. Right now the only Texas on the schedule is Gainsville.

I have attended HSP's Adaptive Handgun1, Carbine 1, and Carbine 2. Enjoyed every minute of each class, and learned a ton of skills and drills.

I have also taken Defensive Handgun with Aaron Roberts. Great class, too.

I have no Military, or LEO, experience so any class I take is a plus to my skill set.

I think that more important then who teaches a class is that the student takes notes, and applies the drills and lessons to his, or her, sessions at the range on a frequent basis. I have purchased both a .22 cal carbine(setup just like my full caliber carbine) and a .22 cal Advantage Arms Conversion Kit for my Glock so when I am at the range I am not thinking "I just went through 400 rounds of 5.56! Holy Crap!". A couple of boxes of .22LR and I am good to go for hours.

Besides, the Training Budget is kind of shot until HH6 gives me the "go ahead". Training can be, and is, expensive. OUCH!

#13 Nathan Neff

Nathan Neff

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Just my two cents but check with 21st Century Gunfghter also, his Carbine 1 is designed for a "frugal" shooter. You still go through 500 rounds but the weapons manipulation is all built around repetitions. I just did Costa's Carbine one last weekend and I can't stress enough to go to 1 first!!!! No matter your skill set he starts you from the ground up and addresses any training scars that may be in the way. My feeling if you jump right into two and if there is something in the way what's going to happen? Worse or better?????

21st CG carbine 1 is definitely a entry course but its a great way to start off a rock solid foundation.
  • DStevenson likes this
"I'm a big fan of face shooting, there is nothing on earth human or wild beast that cannot be easily swayed by a well placed face shot."
crew leader.jpg

#14 thefoolofemmaus

thefoolofemmaus

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPacific, MO

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Cruising around the Costa Ludus website, I was really disappointed to note that he has several "Tactical Operations" classes that are open only to LEO/Military. Anyone have thoughts on this?

#15 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Nathan!!!!! EXACTLY what I was questioning in my earlier post, thank you very much!

#16 Nathan Neff

Nathan Neff

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Anytime! Just my opinion. As far as his Tac Ops from what Costa said at his last class they like to keep those classes with a set entry level, his reasoning is he doesn't want to have to slow the class down or God forbid leave somebody behind because they may not be where they need to be. I can see where he is coming from just with the pace of his classes and believe it or not he doesn't want to leave a student behind or the class to suffer because someone isn't to a point where they could keep up. He said he takes it personal trying to keep everyone at the same pace through the course. Pretty cool if you ask me. Like I said I just did Carbine 1 and I would love to take advantage of 2 when it comes around next year and I'm working on fundamentals that need it but more than likely I will take one again next year or in the spring to see where I was and where I'm at before I move on to 2.
"I'm a big fan of face shooting, there is nothing on earth human or wild beast that cannot be easily swayed by a well placed face shot."
crew leader.jpg

#17 halfflash

halfflash

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'd love to attend a Costa, Haley, or Magpul course. But money and time constraints are killer.
But getting my hands on their DVDs have been invaluable. I've improved 10 fold from watching and dry firing in my apartment. I wish I could bring a DVD player and TV on the range with me. Instead I make lists and reference parts of the discs.

Something amazing happened a few weeks ago, I was shooting with some friends, and as the only one with any experience or training I wound up giving lessons all day. One of the guys had never shot, and watching him try on his own, then making sleight changes to his stance and grip, I could really see how a small change translates into a huge difference. It was a great learning experience for me

#18 slinkwc2k

slinkwc2k

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

So, I am finally going to attend a Costa Ludus Enhanced Carbine Course and I am so geeked that I've started planning it 6 months in advance.
My plan is to attend the Ohio event sponsored by Raven Concealment April 23rd because it would not require a plane flight saving me some money and I won't have the headache involved in transporting 2 AR's 2 Pistols and a couple thousand rounds of ammo and 100lbs of gear.

Has anyone else considered taking a course with Costa Ludus, Magpul, or Haley Strategic? I think because of the names involved you will be spending a little bit more money but for whatever reason I am a Costa fan-boy and he is the main reason I'm taking his course.

Anyone else want to join me at the Ohio event?

I'll be there with ya! Just registered yesterday after noticing the January and February classes are sold out already. Coming from Pittsburgh, the Ohio venue is closest to me and since i'm a Costa whore, I figured now's the time. Have you looked into any motels yet?

#19 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

As per the description on the class it said to contact the host for those details. I did that and the host (Raven Concealment) said that we will be getting a packet closer to the date of the event with information about gear, the range and lodging.
I was hoping to find someplace not only close but also with other members of the class. It would be nice to let off some steam afterward with some people in the class.

I picked up 1200 .223 rounds and 500 9mm rounds yesterday from Cabelas and have started getting my stuff in order for the class. I'll nab another 1200 rounds closer to class time.

I want to sell this TA31ECOS before the class and change it over to an Aimpoint w/ magnifier combo... I need to get off my ass.

#20 slinkwc2k

slinkwc2k

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Looks like there's a few motels along the Ohio turnpike that are close by. Blowing off steam afterward would be cool, great opportunity to review the course material while still fresh.

I'm gunning my 5.45x39 AR I put together specifically for classwork and plinking. 1080 rounds for $170 is the only way I can financially afford a class like this. Man, I can't wait!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Costa Ludus, Chris Costa, Training, Enhanced Carbine Employement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users