• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'd love to take one of his classes and may do it if I can allocate my work training fund for it. Love the magpul DVD's as well, really good.

#22 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, there is no way to do this on the cheap.
I estimate I will have $2,500.00 wrapped up into this class when all is said and done. But in that is a couple cameras (GoPro and Contour) and some misc. things.

Heck I don't even know where the range is. It looks like Southington is a pretty small town there doesn't appear to be much going on but I was unable to find a range on the map. I suppose it could be a private range but it would be nice to know.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#23 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yep that's not cheap at all. If I were to do it at minimum I'd get free ammo from my agency and class registration but sometimes it's hard to convince them it's necessary! Haha

#24 slinkwc2k

slinkwc2k

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Yeah, there is no way to do this on the cheap.
I estimate I will have $2,500.00 wrapped up into this class when all is said and done. But in that is a couple cameras (GoPro and Contour) and some misc. things.

Heck I don't even know where the range is. It looks like Southington is a pretty small town there doesn't appear to be much going on but I was unable to find a range on the map. I suppose it could be a private range but it would be nice to know.

I think its on Silica Sand Road, but when I look at Google maps, its hard to tell where the range would be. I'm eyeing up the Holiday Inn Express Lordstown-Newton Falls Hotel as a potential place to stay.

#25 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

There are some military facilities just south of Silica Sand Road on the opposite side of the turnpike.
That could be a more likely spot but I would hate to commit to a hotel not knowing where the range will be for sure.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#26 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'm also considering a Costa Ludus course. I have a question for anyone that has attended either Haley Strategic or Costa Ludus courses in the past. I've only got a basic familiarity with the M-16/AR-15 platform through military training. I've been hesitant to train too much beyond basic marksmanship to prevent "training scars." Are the level 1 courses suitable for a very basic level of experience or should I pursue some intermediate training first? Thanks!

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#27 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Someone posted in another thread that he felt the 1 course would be a good challenge but not impossible for people such as yourself.
I have been working specifically on speed reloads, weapon transitions and malfuctions in my gear in preparation for this course. I got yelled at enough in the military, I don't want to get yelled at by Chris =D

#28 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info! Getting yelled at by Costa would probably be very instructive. I'll be trying to get to at least 1 handgun and 1 carbine course in 2013. I'd really like to hear your after actions report from the course if you don't mind posting it.

#29 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Not only do I intend to post information on it I will hopefully have 2 cameras rolling... 1 GoPro on my chest rig and a second ContourHD on my rifle.

#30 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Awesome! If it turns out well you might consider writing on the main ITS page as a guest contributor. Here's a link to the guest contributor info. I think that'd be a pretty cool opportunity, and it would give us all a place to view your videos. Have fun at the course.

#31 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Slink, you are correct. The website was updated and it says it's at the Southington Hunt Club at 10321 Silica Sand Road in Garretsville, OH.

Address:
10321 Silica Sand Road
Garretsville, OH 44231

Unfortunately the longest range looks like 100 yard... which is too bad, I really wanted to test out 300 yard just for giggles.

#32 schorched

schorched

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Has anyone else considered taking a course with Costa Ludus, Magpul, or Haley Strategic?

I saw on his site that he is going to be in Tulsa, Oklahoma this coming year in July. I am strongly considering taking the Handgun Employment course. It's just a matter of determining if I will be able to afford it at that time or not. even though I'm on Oklahoma I'm not super close to Tulsa and will need hotel and food on top of course fee plus the 2000 or so rounds of ammo for the class. I plan to do everything I can to try and make it though. it would definitely make my year to train with the beard.

#33 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm also considering a Costa Ludus course. I have a question for anyone that has attended either Haley Strategic or Costa Ludus courses in the past. I've only got a basic familiarity with the M-16/AR-15 platform through military training. I've been hesitant to train too much beyond basic marksmanship to prevent "training scars." Are the level 1 courses suitable for a very basic level of experience or should I pursue some intermediate training first? Thanks!

I can't remember the name of the video.. but I saw one on YouTube, where Chris himself said that Carbine 1 is not for beginners.. that it's more like a 1.5 class. Speed reloads, tac reloads, and proper malfunction assesment should already be something you're pretty good at.

I've never taken a class, although I plan on taking one this year; but I feel with enough practice at home/range CE1 should be pretty fun... challenging but fun.

#34 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Depending on what happens at the end on January I may have to cancel my upcoming class in April and take a hit on my deposit.
If the Military Style weapons ban (I'm done calling it an Assault Rifle because of all the bad press) passes as it seems to really be teetering on the edge I legally won't be able to transport my military style sporting rifle into another state because cross state transportation will require an approved transport request that could take as much as 3 months to complete (based on estimates).

Additionally the cost of Ammo has either doubled or become unavailable, making it more difficult for me to buy another 2k rounds (I have roughly 1500 rounds on hand but need more for the class)

So, though I've wanted to train with Costa for YEARS my dream of training with a legend may be dashed because of the actions of a couple fools.

Edited by DStevenson, 08 January 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#35 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

And because of the impending actions of a government no longer constrained by its own Constitution.

#36 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I'm not sure about Costa, but Haley Strategic is looking into like an ammo package deal. Where you pay for your course and pay extra and they'll cover the ammo for you, so you don't have to pay the inflated prices... or pull your hair out trying to find some. I'm not sure how close this is to becoming a reality, but they did confirm they are trying on their facebook page. I'm not sure if Costa Ludas is looking into this yet, since I haven't seen anything on it.

This doesn't really help your state line problem... or the looming AWB prospect. But at least it's something right?
  • Psybain likes this

#37 slinkwc2k

slinkwc2k

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Depending on what happens at the end on January I may have to cancel my upcoming class in April and take a hit on my deposit.
If the Military Style weapons ban (I'm done calling it an Assault Rifle because of all the bad press) passes as it seems to really be teetering on the edge I legally won't be able to transport my military style sporting rifle into another state because cross state transportation will require an approved transport request that could take as much as 3 months to complete (based on estimates).

Additionally the cost of Ammo has either doubled or become unavailable, making it more difficult for me to buy another 2k rounds (I have roughly 1500 rounds on hand but need more for the class)

So, though I've wanted to train with Costa for YEARS my dream of training with a legend may be dashed because of the actions of a couple fools.

On Costa's facebook page, he said that .22lr are good to go. So if you can get your hands on a cmmg 22 upper or similar, it would really ease the ammo expense. "Laws" or not, I'm going to this class...I'm showing them the same respect they show towards the Constitution.

#38 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

I can't do a 22lr, it's just not the same =D
I don't see as much teeth in Obamas plans as I did just a couple weeks ago so I think everything is still golden for the class... I'm struggling trying to track down an ops-core helmet so I can keep a camera mounted the whole time =D
  • Davis likes this

#39 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

I think Magpul and some other trainers are also going with reduced round requirements to save their students some money.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#40 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I can't do a 22lr, it's just not the same =D
I don't see as much teeth in Obamas plans as I did just a couple weeks ago so I think everything is still golden for the class... I'm struggling trying to track down an ops-core helmet so I can keep a camera mounted the whole time =D

DStevenson: I'm not sure what type of action camera you are using, but even if you cannot track down one of the FAST helmets you may still have some options for body mounted cameras. If you are going to be wearing external armor or even a chest rig, you could pretty easily mount a Contour camera to your shoulder. One nice thing about the Contours is you can also very easily mount them on the rail of your weapon as well.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Costa Ludus, Chris Costa, Training, Enhanced Carbine Employement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users