Photo

GORUCK Training (post everything GORUCK here)

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Tuneno

Tuneno

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Doing Goruck Light in Austin June 15th, just hope my shoulders don't fall off before and during the event.

#22 Tuneno

Tuneno

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced ruck for one of these events. I need to purchase two, one for myself and one for my brother-in-law and the wife has clamped down on my gear spending, so a higher end pack is out of the question. Any suggestions of something of decent quality that will hold the bricks and last would be appreciated

#23 CFB67

CFB67

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced ruck for one of these events. I need to purchase two, one for myself and one for my brother-in-law and the wife has clamped down on my gear spending, so a higher end pack is out of the question. Any suggestions of something of decent quality that will hold the bricks and last would be appreciated

You can buy a Military Alice Pack on Ebay for short money, new or used.
Posted Image

#24 Tuneno

Tuneno

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

The good and the bad....I will start out with the bad. On Saturday June 15th I did my first Goruck event, Goruck Light, in Austin. I am a big boy and where I do run weekly in preparation for half an full marathons, I do very little upper body workouts outside of Judo.

The bad: We had Cadre Patrick, and during the initial smoke session of bear crawls, crab walks and pushups the torn/frayed ligament in my right arm was making my right arm all but useful. My dumb ass also managed to be in the front of the line which gave me even more personal attention right off the bat from Patrick, which from what I remember from Marine Corps bootcamp was something that I tried to stay away from. Going into self preservation mode I had a moment of weakness, got up and went up to Patrick regarding my arm. Pretty much the conversation consisted of, you're not quitting, get the F&$k back. So I went back. It was the push that I needed to keep going and suffered just like everyone else through the beginning.

The good: after we moved on from the original smoke session and buddy carries we started to ruck it to a park. I found this as a welcome break since I can physically go a decent amount of distance at a nice steady pace. My feet were more hardened from Carry the Load so I had no issues with blisters and my walking stride is longer than most people shuffle. So we got to the park, found the downed aircraft which consisted of two large logs and two smaller logs. From one park, to Zilker, which we then got wet and sandy, then onto Clark field I felt somewhat redeemed from my lack of performance at the beginning because I turned out to be a pretty good log carrier.

The bad again: more bear crawls which I found to be the bane of my existence. I got somewhat lucky this time and didn't kill myself, and did a decent job going backwards down a hill.

The semi ok: the ruck back to the capital, the pace was faster than what my legs were able to handle so I was in the back. People were asking, and pissing me off, telling me to give them my ruck, which I said NO, I wasn't going to hand off my ruck and just wanted to be left alone to get into a rhythm. I caught up, we got done and it was finally over.

They are still figuring out the final mileage but it is close to 10 miles.

In the end....I did it but my personal level of self satisfaction is very low because I wasn't as prepared as I should of been. Sure I can haul logs which was a major portion of the event, but I was disappointed in myself for allowing my mind to try to quit at the beginning and for not having enough upper body strength to get through the initial smoke session. I also kick myself in the ass for allowing my right shoulder to go on this long without having the surgery. Because of that I did not bond like other team members have done because I felt like I let them down at the beginning.

I got my ass kicked this Saturday, glad I did it and am planning on doing more but if you aren't training at all and think you are just going to get by with the minimum, you might but you will hate yourself for it.

#25 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

Congrats on getting through it. Getting inside of your own head and doubting yourself can make it near impossible to finish.

I'm doing a full challenge in San Luis Obispo in late August and another in Sacramento in November.

Been rucking and doing a variety of other activities lately. Finally running more, the garmin forerunner is a useful tracking tool and is helping me hold myself accountable.

I'm going to order a bag from military athlete tomorrow and fill it with rubber mulch.

In a few weeks I'm going to start the goruck 6 week prep plan.

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#26 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

What is the goruck 6 week prep plan and where can i find it
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#27 Tuneno

Tuneno

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

It's on the Goruck page under training, on a tab to the right.

Here is the link to the training site.

http://training.goru...ry/6-week-plan/

#28 psyphris

psyphris

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

The 6 week plans seems great for training up for a Light (or maybe even a challenge.) It's nice that GORUCK is taking the initiative to put training material out like that.

#29 Tuneno

Tuneno

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Signed up for a custom challenge in Fort Worth in September......good times!

#30 CFB67

CFB67

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Training for the GORUCK Challenge in Worcester, MA. on 8-9-13
Posted Image

#31 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm signed up for the Nasty next month, I'm pretty excited as I've never done ANY sort of obstacle event, and from how they're decriibing the course they're not looking for anyone to fail and have it be more fun. Well, as fun as 6 miles in the mountains riddled with obstacles can be I guess!

I've been running three miles three times a week and doing You Are Your Own Gym five days a week for the past two months, and I have about 7 more weeks of training to go, I just hope that'll be enough. :)
Posted Image

#32 Flyer47

Flyer47

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Welcome to the family, Tuneno! Light does not equal easy. Enjoy Fort Worth!

#33 CFB67

CFB67

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

I opted to do a GORUCK Challenge instead of Selection this weekend. I realized late that I had set my sites a little too high and that I should just "Crawl-Walk-Run" with all of this. We lucked out and had a former Ranger from 1st Batt as our cadre. We went approximately 20 miles in 12 hours from the City of Worcester to God knows where and back. We started with a grueling smoke session in the center of the City and off we went into the night. We humped a log for about 3-4 miles and there were only nine of us to share the work. I had a great group of teammates that I had to rely on at the end. The last 3.5 miles was a forced road march and we were given 45 minutes to make it back to the start point. We finished as a team and got smoked at the end for being 5 minutes late. I earned my patch and couldn't be more satisfied.
Posted Image

I'm on the far right

https://fbcdn-sphoto...925520100_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphoto...558318584_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a-lg...784435904_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphoto...555199755_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b-lg...551513164_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphoto...671935330_n.jpg

Edited by CFB67, 12 August 2013 - 07:24 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Tuneno

Tuneno

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Congrats CFB67, Nice Forged shirt! I am a month out from my first challenge. Should be fun. I have bad shoulders, meaning that my shoulders pop out of socket, so smoke sessions especially suck for me and I am upper body weak. I can carry a log though.
  • CFB67 likes this

#35 CFB67

CFB67

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Tuneno and good luck with your Challenge...Hooah

Edited by CFB67, 21 August 2013 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Scott Hooten

Scott Hooten

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'm training for the GoRuck Light in San Diego on Oct 19. I also plan to sign up for the next challenge here in February. Has anyone tried either with the Radio Ruck?

#37 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

That's AWESOME CFB67!!!! I really want to train for this, being a grown up sucks... kids, work, wife... LOL I just need to stop being lazy and make the time.
  • CFB67 likes this
Posted Image

#38 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Great job CFB67. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm looking forward to doing a GORUCK Challenge. They've got some coming up in Alaska soon. I'll be shooting for the 5/16/14 challenge. Anyone else in AK?
  • CFB67 likes this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#39 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

My cousin and I completed Class 742 in San Luis Obispo, CA over the weekend and it was awesome. I just have to keep conditioning; I wasn't up to snuff on PT, but did pretty well rucking. We started and finished as a 21 person team and we even humped a big @$$ phone pole 3/4 of a mile.
  • CFB67 likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#40 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

If anyone's interested in hitting up the Nasty, a half off deal popped up on Amazon Local today, good for the new 6 days (or until they sell out): http://local.amazon....357620_32260790
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users