Photo

GORUCK Training (post everything GORUCK here)

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Driving to the dentist's today, stopping cautiously at a light, watch a dude moving fast along the sidewalk (furious shuffle, not quite a jog, not a walk). Hat looks familiar. Backpack looks familiar. Grimlock. Goruck bag. Arrowhead design on baseball hat and on backpack. Bingo! I know what he's doing. Either earned it or training for it. Chisled calves. I couldn't shout out to him in time, but wanted to. If you were out today, you were noticed. Time for me to get some ITS patches to show the sign to those who know.

Edited by Armitage12, 29 August 2013 - 06:59 PM.

• CENTCOMSurvivor and CFB67 like this

#42 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I am in for Challenge in St. Pete Dec 28, Anyone else in the area doing it?

I like the idea of bubble wrapping the bricks. I have them taped in sections of 3 turned on edge. It works great in my pack (TAD Litespeed).

gonna be fun! Hit me up if anyone wants to train or strategize...
  • CENTCOMSurvivor likes this

#43 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

I am in for Challenge in St. Pete Dec 28, Anyone else in the area doing it?

I like the idea of bubble wrapping the bricks. I have them taped in sections of 3 turned on edge. It works great in my pack (TAD Litespeed).

gonna be fun! Hit me up if anyone wants to train or strategize...

Make sure to check as I thought I saw something about the St Pete one being cancelled. Although I'm looking now and it seems good to go.
Posted Image

#44 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

will do. I was able to register for it. anyone else doing this event?

#45 tiesonwooten

tiesonwooten

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific NW

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

There is a Challenge in Seattle in Oct and Nov. I'd like to do the one here in Portland this month, but I'll be out of town. I have 2 buddies that are training with me. I've never like working out much, but I do love to work, so I've been training by bucking and splitting wood, fence building, and other farm work. I've been adding weight to my ruck every week or 2, depending on how often I can get to it. The good thing is it keeps me from isolating muscle groups and I can get a lot of projects done on the property.

If anybody in the PNW wants to join in Oct/Nov, let me know.
  • https://www.goruck.com/Events/Details?id=790
  • https://www.goruck.com/Events/Details?id=800

"Courage is being scared to death; and saddling up anyway."

#46 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Two days until the Nasty! I know it's not gonna be anywhere near as tough as a Lite or Tough event, but I'm still nervous! Can't wait to hang out with so many like minded people though, and I'm not gonna lie, 25% off all Gear is gonna make me broke as hell! LOL
  • CFB67 likes this
Posted Image

#47 jason10mm

jason10mm

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Wish I could go to the Nasty. Alas, I just did a race in that area last month and I have work issues this weekend so even a commando trip out there is out of the question. VERY interested to see the goruck philosophy in play, I expect lots of team obstacles versus the mostly solo ones many of the other obstacle race events have. Hopefully they do it there on a annual basis, I'll be there next year!

#48 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Wish I could go to the Nasty. Alas, I just did a race in that area last month and I have work issues this weekend so even a commando trip out there is out of the question. VERY interested to see the goruck philosophy in play, I expect lots of team obstacles versus the mostly solo ones many of the other obstacle race events have. Hopefully they do it there on a annual basis, I'll be there next year!

I think you're right about having some team obstacles, I wouldn't be suprised if that's one of the main reasons a Cadre member is running with every wave, to remind people to work together or to help people who are running it alone (like me.)

Hopefully the Beer, S'Mores, and Water I'm bringing will help me make some fast friends at the camp ground! Haha!

Edited by Chorazin, 19 September 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

I would be on that St Pete one if not for nagging injuries that have stopped me from training for 3 months
Posted Image

#50 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Back from the Nasty! It was a fantastic time, filled with fantastic people who were more than willing to lend a literal hand or other body part when you needed help, or just words of encouragement. I'm battered and bruised and sore and scraped but I'd do it all again if I could!

Now I'm going to be signing up for a Light on May 24th in Philly! Got 8 months to work hard so I can kick that thing in the ass. :)

P.S. On the gear side I picked up a Bullet Ruck there, that thing is NICE! Super light, just the right size for 5/10ks and obstable runs or day hikes, and built like a tank. I kicked the shit out of that thing and it held up perfect.

Edited by Chorazin, 24 September 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

#51 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

hey Scot M - There is a light on 12 Oct in Tampa that should be a fun tune up for the challenge.

#52 jason10mm

jason10mm

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

So, how was the Nasty? Can you compare it to possibly similar events like the Spartan? Was it a ball-buster or mostly fun? Focused on endurance, strength, or team-work? Any idea if they are going to do it again (same place, same time, all over?). Very psyched to do one.

#53 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

So, how was the Nasty? Can you compare it to possibly similar events like the Spartan? Was it a ball-buster or mostly fun? Focused on endurance, strength, or team-work? Any idea if they are going to do it again (same place, same time, all over?). Very psyched to do one.

Nasty was awesome, I had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, it was my first event like that so I can't make comparisons. The obstacles varied from really tough to easy as long as you were confident, but you were free to skip any that you simply knew you couldn't do or were worried about injury, since it's more of a "good time, challenge yourself" event. (Some obstsacles were removed or closed after people got hurt, in fact.)

Endurance was definitely key, it was only 6 miles but those miles were up and down a steep Black Diamond ski course, so your legs were put through the wringer. If your legs were strong enough to do that, they were fine for any of the obstacles, which mostly worked upper body, core, and balance.

Team work mainly came from encouragement from the crown at obstalces, but if you needed a hand at any of the obstalces plenty of people were willing to help (like taking up slack on ropes, or being a platform for wall climbs, so on.)

They are definitely doing more Nastys, and have already said they'll be back to the Massanutten Resort next year, they just don't have solid dates yet.
Posted Image

#54 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well they just officially cancelled the GRC in St. Pete on the 28th of Dec. That sucks I was looking forward to a back yard party.

#55 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

On Saturday 11/2/13 I completed my second challenge, class 840, with my cousin and dragged my brother into it.

There were a lot of local LEO's there and one of them had an ITS patch on his ruck.

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#56 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hey there Springfield,

That was me with the ITS patch. I spoke to someone about ITS during the event, maby that was you? I had just gotten back from the muster the previous week.

Oh, and I was with the group of firefighters from NV, not LE! haha!!!

Anyway, allow me to invite you to join our GRT team for the following events!

San Fransico Scavenger, March 8th.
Reno Challenge, May 2nd, to be followed (back-to-back) with a Light on May 3rd.
Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#57 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Yup, that was me. Sorry, wasn't 100% sure who was LEO, FD, etc. I just know www had a lot of people that were in that community.

San Francisco Scavenger could definitely happen, but Reno is out. I'm sure John Maris and his wife will be there, you'll know them when you meet them.

I'm doing Navigator in Tahoe May 17 and don't want to get injured right before.

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#58 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Goruck Navigator in Tahoe? I've not seen this.

Edited by Appattack, 13 November 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#59 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Tahoe Navigator is a custom event being put together for the Goruck NorCal Facebook group by Laurie Maris.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#60 pktranger11a

pktranger11a

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Just signed up for the Challenage in Nashville. Now the training begins anew!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users