10 replies to this topic

#1 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Looking to stock up on a few chemlights to stow in the vehicle and in the B.O.B.

Seems like the shelf life is around five years give or take. Any suggestions on a specific brand and site to purchase?
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not always truth.
Posted Image

#2 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

I picked up a few dozen 16" chemlites at my local dollar store. They are plenty bright and last 6-8 ours easy. I keep them in my patrol bag next to me and drop them in intersections when I'm responding to calls on unmarked roads. It helps my guys find me without trying to give complicated directions.

#3 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thinbluelion,
At this past weekend's halloween party, we tried using some older chemlight bands and foam sticks purchased at a garage sale that didn't work. Dollar store purchases might keep costs down. Have you had any issues with buying some that don't work?

Are any colors better than others for your use?

#4 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

They are new manufactured. I have yet to find a defective one...the quality has really surprised me since they are only a buck. I like the yellow or green- ded or blue is just not very bright.

#5 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

They are new manufactured. I have yet to find a defective one...the quality has really surprised me since they are only a buck. I like the yellow or green- ded or blue is just not very bright.

Funny enough, a few months ago, one of the local law enforcement supply shops was selling them for $1/each and they had boxes. I didn't buy any because I thought they would be cheap or duds. I didn't even buy 1 to test. After reading your msg, I have kicked myself in the rear. I'll have to go check them out on Monday to see if they still have some.
Posted Image

#6 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll be off to the mil surplus store before we get hammered by this storm this week to at least pick up some cheap ones, hopefully there will be a variety so i can do some testing.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not always truth.
Posted Image

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Just saw this on SKD Tactical.

10 pack for $14.50. Get what you need and support an ITS sponsor all at the same time!

http://www.skdtac.co...k-p/cya.102.htm

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#8 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Glowsticks ride with me in my car at work, sit in my active shooter bag and make my kids smile when I give one to each of them. I bought a whole bunch of the Hummer Brand from LAPG for .78 each ( i think ) not to long ago. work well for what I paid. I usually wait until after halloween and hit the closeout section at walmart and buy the bulk packs for CHEAP! those have been really reliable.
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 martin bishop

martin bishop

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

I go through probably 20 a month. For actual work the the issue sticks made by Cyalume cannot be matched. They are noticibly brighter, glow longer, and have a accurately stamped shelf life.  But when those arent needed I keep an eye out on amazon actually and every once in a while the price for the knock offs will drop significantly out of nowhere. At which point I buy a bunch.

At the end of the night, without losting a finger if you cut one open and let it drip down the street it looks exactly like blood from the predator, they are non toxic, fun way to mess with people .

Edited by martin bishop, 22 September 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#10 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:47 AM

I usually buy boxes of 10 from SKDtac.com

The prices are usually pretty fair and I keep them around for a couple years in my vehicle, EDC bag and B.o.B. and on my Plate Carrier.

After a couple years I let the kids go nuts with whatever has not been used.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#11 JFergus7

JFergus7

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have a few that I keep in my EDC bag but after reading this and thinking about it I think I will pick up a bunch more so I have some in my truck and my B.O.B.  And now I have to go check the ones that I do have and see that they still work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users