• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Carter

Brock Carter

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

Hi all. I know this is my first post in the early century club of ITS forum posts, and it's a little harsh to start out without direct priase of an allegedly impending tactical revolution, but I simply do NOT understand what's so good about A-TACS?Fyr: http://www.a-tacs.com/gallery.htmlI've always been a fan of theater-specific camo, but recognizing the need for a suitable universal pattern I'm very much a fan of MultiCam. Why? Because what you see is what you get, or more plainly, what you don't see is what gets you home at night. I've looked at numerous A-TACS photos in an attempt to continuously be abreast (i know, lol for "breast" ) of providing myself with the best possible equipment, but I simply cannot find its wonder in the provided photos. I will say this, though, A-TACS gear on an A-TACS background, incredible! I can't distinquigsh a piece of nylon from 50/50 nyco from a knee pad in those shots… but that seems a little counterproductive unless we're going to parade around with an A-TACS backdrop curtain or A-TACS fluming smoke grenades. And in certain degraded urban pictures I think it does a nice job, but I still find the pattern a lot easier than I find other patterns (including MC). Don't get me wrong, as an engineer I love what A-TACS has used to create their "organically digital" (etc) pattern, i think that's brilliant, but as a multi-environment pattern I'm simply not seeing it, or more correctly, I am seeing it.Anyone have any insight in to what I'm missing? (And mods, if this is in the wrong section please move, thank you)

Edited by Brock Carter, 03 April 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Ray

Ray

Swabbie

• Plank Owner
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hey i'm in the same boat...i do 'see' that it's an excellent pattern, but in diffenent environments...i don't see what the big deal...i guess it just might be pattern break up for the sake of pattern break up.  I thought the most cutting edge camo was Multicam...then all of a sudden A-TACS comes out and now it's a huge deal...maybe for specifica sof units for particular environments but as something universal...i'm not sure either...oh well, we'll just see how it works out and if we'll be seeing more of it.
Posted ImageYou can't volunteer to go to War and then bitch about getting shot at. - COL Ferrando, 1st Recon BN

#3 Badkarma

Badkarma

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

Any camo du jour looks perfect when you tailor the lighting and background images to the pattern.  I agree some camo works better in certain environments but you have to look at your AO.  Is it strictly urban or does it have large open park areas as well?  Is it strictly forest or jungle or will you have to move from there to an urban environment or vise versa?  When in a shootin match with the bad guys your ass better be moving so your environment will ineviatibly change. I agree with Ray, Multicam works damn near everywhere.  A-TACS looks good but let's get some more data.  Perhaps the next time ITS does the testing they can test in multi environments like the desert, scrub, heavy forest, mountain, and urban.  How about at dawn, high noon, and dusk? That's a lot of work.
"Why do you whimper? Why do you dread the calm symmetry of death? Is there no comfort to be drawn from oblivion? The pattern must be complete; birth is but the first preparation for death." "I like you... I’ll kill you last"

#4 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

A-TACS would have been great for the battle at Stalingrad (modern day battlefields just don't have that look).  Other than that I think Multicam has the best pattern going.
Posted Image

#5 Firewalker

Firewalker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

ATACS did well in the ITS camo comparison, IMO. It seemed to fit a decent swatch of environments adequately. If anything it's a lot more universal than UCP and holds its own against MC. I'd say ATACS would be a good alternative to MC (not a replacement, but an alternate camouflage) since MC is becoming a more identifiable uniform element since it will most like be more widely deployed. If I had to have a uniform with an alternate and my choices were limited to patterns made in the US, I'd be picking ATACS and MC. They both did well enough that I'd chose them with little thought. Personally, though, I also like the look of it. It's just a nice pattern ;)
Come forth, Lazarus! And he came fifth and lost the job.Posted Image

#6 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I like it too.  I have a few pieces in it and for my environment here in SoCal (rocks and desert) it works very well.  It seems to do a very good job of breaking up outlines.
Posted Image

#7 Tac Rev

Tac Rev

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

I've talked to several folks throughout the SOF community (because we all already know conventional units aren't using this stuff). Most recently I was talking with buddy at 5th Group S7 about ATACS. He explained that it has absolutely no legs thus far and does not anticipate it getting any. His words: "There's a reason we use Multicam...because it works."
Will

#8 Gazmtk

Gazmtk

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

Hey Guys, I will just put in my opinion on the ATACS agenda. ATACS is not a universal camouflage but the pattern is universal, how do I interpret that? ATACS fails in open light coloured area's (ie. Beige Sand) but if you were to change the colours used in the pattern then it would work in lightly coloured surroundings. The Pattern breaks up the edges nicely, kinda what digital camouflage was meant to, MultiCam although is a very effective camouflage its pattern isn't very good, just the colours help mask the poor pattern.IF you were to put MC colours into ATACS universal pattern I would imagine an even better camouflage for the soldiers on the ground /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif This is my personal opinion so feel free to comment and point out anything I may of over looked, Cheers,Gaz /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_wink.gif

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Just as a bit of an update, Soldier Systems made a brief post about the new A-TACS FG which is supposed to be more of a woodland pattern. It's supposed to be officially release in November, but here is a small teaser pic of the pattern:Posted Image

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#10 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

I will say ATACS has grown on me. That new pattern looks like it will be great down here in Florida.
Posted Image

#11 ChrisC60

ChrisC60

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

I use to hate multi-cam when it first came out, after actually seeing it in action and seeing it through night vision, or should I say barley being able to see it made me a total believer. Our whole special response team now made multi-cam our uniform.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 101ABN327

101ABN327

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Multicam is a pretty good all around pattern.  The A-TACS currently on the shelves is a bit brown for my part pf the country.  The new A-TACS FG looks better but I'd like to see it in person. 101

#13 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Is it just me, or was there a lot more green in the original ATACs that came out a long time ago; like back when there were only teaser type pics. For a long time when it was becoming increasingly popular, it seemed like they took the green splotches out completely and it was just shades of brown and tan... a buddy of mine even got a jacket and hat from SORD recently, that had absolutely no green in it.At the time we thought they had taken the green out because their foliage version was coming out soon, and they wanted to make it more for "arid" enviromnts. But since they foliage version has come out, I'm back to seeing green in it again. This makes me VERY apprehensive to get any, because I don't know what I'm actually going to get. I will say that my brother picked up one of the HSGI Sure Grip Padded Belts in ATACs, and it is sweet, the webbing looks awesome, and the TACO pouches he got with it match perfectly. And it has loads of green; which I am a fan of.I still prefer MC, but seeing his new ATACs procurement.. I might be a fan, we just need to see it out in different environments.

#14 muaddib

muaddib

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Gotta love living in the USA - capitalism at its finest! Badkarma has a good point - these pictures are probably photo-shopped to make the pattern more convincingly "universal". I have heard it works well. It looks cool at least. But I also get the feeling that they have really geared the pattern to OEF - dull,dusty tan and brown tones with a gray-greenish color. Seems good for Afghanistan. I'm sure it works well in other areas - but I am a little concerned about light reflection with the lighter tan in low light conditions, especially in a desert - the biggest issue with ACUs IMO (night STX lanes = you don't have the element of surprise because you light up like a christmas tree!).Of course the solution to all this is mud or dirt or sand. That's at least the saving grace for ACUs - they muddy up pretty well. OCP may be more "universal" for some areas than others. It has more green and drab which will make it better for areas with more foliage most likely. But like said nothing will be "universal"

#15 Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

I always figured ATACS was just Coyote Brown with sweat stains

#16 surferoib51

surferoib51

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

ATACS remind me of WWII German camo. I would be willing to give them a try.

#17 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

I might get atacs fg pants this weekend. if I do, I'll post my thoughts on it.

#18 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have all Multicam, from my vest to my skivvies. Ok fine I don't have Multicam skivvies but I wouldn't be opposed to be tactically ready in the bedroom.
Crap.. ignore that last sentence....

Kidding aside I've seen ATAC-S in action 2nd hand, it really does blend well with the villages of Afghanastan but I couldn't say that it is better than Multicam. With everything I've seen, Multicam looks like a better overall solution. Especially when you don't have the ability to change camo patterns based on your job for the day. I just would prefer they settle on something and stop changing it every other weekend. Being that I was Air Force I think the tiger stripes are ridiculous for AF personnel and I think the dark blue ACU's for the Navy are silly.

The woodland version of ATAC-S is equally as good. I think you can buy hats from CostaLudas.com and you'll see the pattern is pretty good for a wooded environment.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#19 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

You can also gets hats in both patterns from HSGI.

I think multicam would be good if you have no idea where you'll end up, but if you know you'll only be in a wooded or an arid environment, then ATACS is a really good option. I'm lookin at getting the FG style for where I live.

#20 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

I, personally, am very excited to see what ATACS and Crye put out in the Army's solicitation for a "family of patterns".. I want to see what Crye can come up with when they have to make patterens specific to different enviroments; and I really want to see what else ATACs has in store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users