#1 BelieverAZ

BelieverAZ

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Posted Image

Like most people, I adapt my EDC for the day's events. Today, I took my family to a large public event in a large, soft target, with about 12k people. The event was located in our metro area's downtown, which is full of homeless folks, street crime, and the like. My concerns were two-fold today: random act of violence at the venue, and a street robbery on the way in or out.
Today I ran with the following:
Glock 19 with Surefire X300 in RCS Phantom LC
2x Glock 17 mags in old school (circa 2000) Blade Tech kydex
Spyderco Waved Endura
Kabar TDI in custom kydex sheath
5.11 ATAC 200 lumen pocket light
SerePick paracord bracelet
Neck badge/ID carrier
folded/clipped cash and debit card
Tuff-tie restraint
Work and personal phones (Nextel and Samsung Galaxy Note)
Pocket "oh-shit" kit in a wallet: 1 pair nitrile gloves, compression wrap, CPR barrier mask, Combat Gauze LE, handcuff shim, mica shim, Bogota set

I stripped it off at the end of the day and thought "hm, I should take a picture", so here we are.

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Nice setup man. How do you like that 5.11 light? I have tried a couple of their other ones but was thinking about picking up one of those.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

I know it won't lighten the load by much, but I did away with carrying any type of CPR barrier mask a while back. The typical person has roughly five minutes worth of oxygen in their blood stream at the time of death (ie heart stops beating). That's why nation CPR standards have changed to giving an immediate two minutes of chest compression before you even worry about providing any rescue breathing. Think of it this way, free divers are able to function under water without O2 for several minutes at a time without any form of supplemental oxygen. Same goes for a person whose heart has stopped. So there far less of a concern about providing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation as there was in years past. Within five minutes someone with aduquate BVM and tank should be on scene in the urban setting you're in. And if it's a loved one that you're trying to resuscitate, you won't be too worries about the barrier in the first place.

Great EDC though. I've got a similar event next weekend with the family. I'll be going straight to the backpack (which I hope to post a full review of at some point).
  • Davis likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#4 Probablytaken

Probablytaken

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Nice setup man. How do you like that 5.11 light? I have tried a couple of their other ones but was thinking about picking up one of those.

I don't know about him, but I personally love my ATAC L2, its especially bright, the activation switch is intuitive and perfectly balanced versus strength and tactile response, a quick 3 half-clicks and you are in strobe mode. Fairly light, runs on a simple 2 CR123A, and has a great clip. Not sure what else you could want from a 200+ lumen pocket light in that size class.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.
It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan
Posted Image

#5 BelieverAZ

BelieverAZ

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

To answer the first question: I have really enjoyed the 5.11 light. At 200 lumens, it will do what I need, with great battery life. The only thing I don't like is having to half-push the tail cap a specific number of times to strobe and it is a little too fine motor oriented in my opinion.

Ref. The CPR barrier, I understood what was said by SWATDawg (I'm a SWAT Medic), but it's moot. I am required by policy to carry one when working so I stashed it in my pocket IFAK. I see no point in taking it out when I'm off. On the topic of barrier masks, one of my coworkers died of an infectious disease he contracted from giving rescue breathing to a child drowning victim. I will keep one handy. Less than five minutes of down time to application of a BVM and O2 by FD in my area is a pipe dream unless they drop in front of the station or while the truck is already en route. The time delay from caller recognizing emergency, calling 911, call-taker contact, call creation, address verification, sending to dispatcher, dispatching/toning the truck, loading into the truck, roll out, where-are-we-going, diesel bolus, arrival, patient contact and general impression/ABCs under five minutes? Maybe some places, but not the way the apathetic firefighters move around here. Hell, they stroll to the trucks for cardiac arrest calls.

#6 daengineer

daengineer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmerkaz, israel

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

interesting set-up, looks clean solid and useful.

#7 Stevequatt51

Stevequatt51

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I just got one of those 5.11 lights for free after buying 2 pairs of pants from an online retailer, I think it was LA Police Gear. Figuring that since it was for free that it would be garbage but the light is great. It has 3 modes, bright, low, and strobe. I will be adding this to a go bag or my EDC jacket or something to get it into use. I think it retails for under $50....well worth the price, and to think I almost gave it away.

Posted Image
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” George Orwell

#8 Stevequatt51

Stevequatt51

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

Like most people, I adapt my EDC for the day's events. Today, I took my family to a large public event in a large, soft target, with about 12k people. The event was located in our metro area's downtown, which is full of homeless folks, street crime, and the like. My concerns were two-fold today: random act of violence at the venue, and a street robbery on the way in or out.
Today I ran with the following:
Glock 19 with Surefire X300 in RCS Phantom LC
2x Glock 17 mags in old school (circa 2000) Blade Tech kydex
Spyderco Waved Endura
Kabar TDI in custom kydex sheath
5.11 ATAC 200 lumen pocket light
SerePick paracord bracelet
Neck badge/ID carrier
folded/clipped cash and debit card
Tuff-tie restraint
Work and personal phones (Nextel and Samsung Galaxy Note)
Pocket "oh-shit" kit in a wallet: 1 pair nitrile gloves, compression wrap, CPR barrier mask, Combat Gauze LE, handcuff shim, mica shim, Bogota set

I stripped it off at the end of the day and thought "hm, I should take a picture", so here we are.

I would recognize that style of badge anywhere...former Orange Deputy. Stay safe brother.
Posted Image
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” George Orwell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users