8 replies to this topic

#1 Robm89

Robm89

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi.
As many of you will have seen, the Uk has been swept with snow and ice. Judging by the news, you'd think it was Ragnarok.
Still, a question needs answering, and you may be able to help. For work i need to walk around and have been issued two typed of grips.
So, the question is,
Which boot attachments are better for snow and ice?
A ] Spike grips,
Or
B ]Spring Grips.

I have attached a picture.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have a fair bit of experience with both types and each have their pros and cons. I think in general the spring grips were my preferred in regards to grip ability, however, they break pretty easily. Most of the spike types seem to be of a bit more sturdy construction, but I always felt they were less effective if you were encountering a variety of surfaces, as well as the spike ones always seemed to be a bit less easy to pot on and take off. So if you job has you moving from outside to inside regularly than it can be a bit of a pain.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Removal is very important as once you hit a smooth tiled or finished concrete floor similar to those in stores the spikes in particular on a wet floor is worse than a skating rink and you'll end up on your back pretty quick.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 Robm89

Robm89

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks people, your advice has been greatly appreciated.
I think i will go with the springs, just because they are easier to get on and off, and i will be on a variety of surfaces.

Thanks again guys
Posted Image

#5 Vlad308

Vlad308

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I know when I was in Afghanistan last winter the soldiers all wore the spike kind. My thought process is the spikes would grip much better as they dig into the ice.
There are countless ways of achieving greatness, but any road to achieving one's maximum potential must be built on a bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity.

#6 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

This is what we use in Canada. rofl
Posted Image
Photo c/o: bauer.com

Edited by j.k.chan24, 26 February 2013 - 09:57 PM.

• Davis likes this
Posted Image

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

This is what we use in Canada. rofl

That gave me a good chuckle when I saw your pic!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#8 Paul Collier

Paul Collier

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Here in alaska, I use these: http://m.rei.com/mt/...traction-system

I find them easy to use and they bring the best of both spikes and the spring style. However I dont use them walking around stores or usially around town. That could be a deciding factor...

#9 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

That gave me a good chuckle when I saw your pic!

Have to have some fun, right?

But to the OP - from what I recall, I've seen retailers selling the spike ones. I have seen a style that has the spikes, but the sides have springs to make them easier to put on and off. I personally have never needed them so I have no personal experience with them. I would say though, I would look at what is used to combat ice where you will be. Most places around in the city I'm from use road salt which is killer for metals and leather unless you clean it after use every day. I basically had a pair of brand new Magnum boots that got destroyed by the road salt. I got lazy and didn't clean the leather for two days and when I cleaned it, the leather bubbled etc.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users