11 replies to this topic

#1 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Okay guys, it is time for me to get a new optic and I am torn between Aimpoint and EOTech. Right now a the top of my list is the Aimpoint Micro T-1 and the EOTech XPS2.

The EOTech is a bit less expensive but as of lately I am becoming more and more of a Costa fan and I always see him running the Aimpoint T-1 on his platforms when he is not using a scope.

So, can you guys that have first hand experience and opinions please speak up and let me know what you think?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I recommend buying my Trijicon TA31ECOS. ($1,300.00)
That way I can put the money toward a T-1 and have a ton of play money left over.

Hope this helps! (sarcasm)

davis, I plan to join the T-1 bandwagon myself. I just need to get off my lazy butt and sell this ACOG. It's a beautiful scope but I'm finding what I really need are 2 scopes. A dedicated red-dot and a dedicated long range. I can get 2MOA at 100 yards with the ACOG which I'm happy with but I'm convinced I can bring that down quite a bit with a more magnified scope (obviously).
Do you intend to get a magnifier for it or run just the red-dot?

I know this didn't help one bit but I just had to throw my .02 in there.
  • Davis likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have a T1 2 MOA. I love it!
If you look for people's opinions online, you're going to find 99% "I love mine"s and almost no one will admit that they don't like theirs.. I previously had the EO Tech 512, which I bought because it was cheaper than all the other well known red dots.. but after a while I realized its.... let's call them "areas of lacking". And switching over to the T1 was definitely a good choice.
I don't have any experience with XPS2, but I've heard good things (but see my statement above).

Feel free to ask anything you want about the T1.. or my experience with my last EO tech.
  • Davis likes this

#4 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I recommend buying my Trijicon TA31ECOS. ($1,300.00)
That way I can put the money toward a T-1 and have a ton of play money left over.

Hope this helps! (sarcasm)

davis, I plan to join the T-1 bandwagon myself. I just need to get off my lazy butt and sell this ACOG. It's a beautiful scope but I'm finding what I really need are 2 scopes. A dedicated red-dot and a dedicated long range. I can get 2MOA at 100 yards with the ACOG which I'm happy with but I'm convinced I can bring that down quite a bit with a more magnified scope (obviously).
Do you intend to get a magnifier for it or run just the red-dot?

I know this didn't help one bit but I just had to throw my .02 in there.

Stevenson: I would like to by your ACOG but that is a bit out of my price range at the moment and also, with my current platform and what I use it for I do not need a scope, just a sight. As for the magnifier... I first want to get the red dot, then in a few months when my fun fund is replenished get the magnifier.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#5 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I have a T1 2 MOA. I love it!
If you look for people's opinions online, you're going to find 99% "I love mine"s and almost no one will admit that they don't like theirs.. I previously had the EO Tech 512, which I bought because it was cheaper than all the other well known red dots.. but after a while I realized its.... let's call them "areas of lacking". And switching over to the T1 was definitely a good choice.
I don't have any experience with XPS2, but I've heard good things (but see my statement above).

Feel free to ask anything you want about the T1.. or my experience with my last EO tech.

Rocket: I think you just put an extra check in the box for the T1 for me. You just reminded me that you get what you pay for, but I guess I just want to make sure that I am choosing a product because it really is the best product and not because it is what all the "cool kids" are doing and thus has a higher price tag.

With the 512 what areas did you find "lacking" as compared to the T1? Also, are you running it on one of the LaRue risers, and if so which one? I was on their site last night and I see they have the "tall" and "absolute" depending on what you want for co-witness. I will be running this with a flip down Magpull rear sight, but I'm thinking the Tall mount would best suit me.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

My ACOG has the red-dot on top but I really wish it was at a 45 degree angle because I can't get a good cheek weld and still use the red-dot =(

I too had an EoTech 512 and it is tough to knock it, my biggest complaint was battery life. From what I hear battery issues are non-existent with the Aimpoint.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I was 'wowed' by the EOTech's ability to run properly even if the lenses were broken (which they often have a demo of that at some gun shops/shows) and the 65 MOA ring around the center dot. I primarily was using it for home defense, with standard practice at the range. I figured in a high stress situation in my own home, if I could get that circle on target it was good enough to get effective hits. That, plus the price for a "well known" company red dot had me sold.
After moving my training from a static line at a conventional range, to more of a dynamic setting, I realized I wasn't a huge fan of the ring around the dot, I found it distracting. And the hood of the EO Techs was kind of intruding on my field of vision adding to the distraction. I noticed that with the hood over the optic I instinctively wanted to close my non-dominate eye, limiting my peripheral vision . Nothing major, just things that I noticed. After about a year or two of having it.. I was starting to get annoyed with the battery life on it. I replaced the batteries (AA) in it 2 or 3 times a year (if not more)
This was annoying because I would make an effort to turn it off every time I was done, and even if I forgot it would turn itself off after a few hours. Something that has a built in shut off, and still needs batteries changed that much.. needs to be reconsidered. Not to mention the constant re-zeroing after I changed the batteries.
BUT, I was still content.. I paid a fair amount of money for it (compared to cheaper optics and knock offs), and it's a brand name so I just kept using it.
That is... until I got to play with a T1. I was instantly sold.
The price of it has always made me think twice about getting one, but after seeing how little of the frame you see with both eyes open, and how clear that dot is... I immediately started saving my pennies. I've had mine since the 2 MOA was released a few months ago, and I haven't turned it off since. I'm still putting it through its paces, but so far I like it WAY more than my 512.
The weight savings alone was worth it...

The XPS2 is obviously a lot smaller than the 512, and runs off of different batteries.. so I know I can't really compare. But after switching to Aimpoint, I don't really see myself ever going back.
I've seen Travis Haley running an XPS2 on a couple of his rifles, and he's always saying "use what works for you, and what you need to accomplish the mission"... so I definitely think there is a time where that might be a little bit better. But for the all around red dot.. the T1 can't be beat. Which is why I think you see more T1s on his rifles than EOtechs...

I am using a LaRue mount, the tall (LT660), lower 1/3 cowittiness. I like that it's a little bit higher, so you don't have to break your neck to see through it... but the cowittnessing with iron sights takes some getting used to. The Absolute mount will sit about as high as an EOTech without a EOTech riser. And will not work completely right with a magnifier. I saw a picture of someone who got the absolute cowittness (because it looked cooler) and it didn't line up with their Aimpoint 3X magnifier... even though the pics on LaRues site say it will.

Edited by Rocketman_87, 25 January 2013 - 01:16 PM.

• Davis likes this

#8 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I too had an EoTech 512 and it is tough to knock it, my biggest complaint was battery life. From what I hear battery issues are non-existent with the Aimpoint.

EXACTLY. It was a great optic.. for what it was. I though battery life wasn't something I needed to be concerned with... I mean, how hard is it to change batteries? But when you have to do it over and over... the battery life of an Aimpoint starts to become more and more appealing.
  • Davis likes this

#9 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Rocket: Thank you for taking the time write that, I think you just helped me make up my mind. Your bit about it being easier to run with both eyes open is important to me.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#10 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Happy to help Davis. You will be happy either way I think.
I was happy with my EOTech for a very long time, and was able to shoot with both eyes open, but when I switched over I understood why everyone seemed to be running a T1. And now I'm happier.
I'd really like to get some time to play with the XPS2, just for the sake of really comparing. I know the 512 is entry level EOtech, so it doesn't seem fair to really compare it to the T1.

#11 SIG383

SIG383

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I have both, an Aimpoint M68 and an EOTech 522. I don't think I will ever get rid of either. Biggest reason is those are the two red dots we use in the military and I like being able to train off duty with what I will use. I would really like to get a T1 though for personal use. But right now, the money is tight so that is not a top priority.

#12 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm trying to remember who said it (I think it was Eric on Soldier Systems), but this quote always sticks out in my mind: "There is no reason not to get an aimpoint."

I really liked the eotech for a long time, I liked the ret better, and it seemed more streamlined than the aimpoints. And then I found out about the battery issues with eotechs. And then the T-1 came out with a 2 moa dot.

I am planning on getting a T-1 very soon for my DDM4. As a bonus, Larry Vickers has abused the hell out of T-1s during his DDM4 tests, and they always keep working, even after the rifle was blown up.
  • Davis likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aimpoint, EOTech, Optic, Sight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users