• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Knytemare

Knytemare

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I work out of town a lot and a GHB would be an awesome idea for me. Can anyone suggest a small bag or pack that would be perfect to keep in my truck for a GHB and what would you consider essential items?
Posted Image

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

I personally like 5.11 bags, but there are many different options out there, it really just depends how much you want to spend.

Some of the essentials should include (in no particular order of importance):
  • Flashlight
  • Headlamp
  • Trauma/Blowout Kit
  • Sidearm
  • Spare Mags
  • Fixed Blade Knife
  • Protean Bars
  • Water/Water Purification System
  • Paracord
  • 1" Tubular Webbing
  • Write In The Rain Notepad
  • Pen/Pencil
  • Sharpie Marker
  • Local Area Land Maps
  • Spare Batteries & Backup charging system for your Cell Phone
  • Fixed Blade Knife
  • Fire Starting Materials (other than lighter/matches, such as steel wool and 9 volt battery)
  • Ligher
  • Hurricane Matches
The list can be substantially longer, but these are some of the items that I personally think are good ideas and starting points. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and what type of scenario you are looking at being geared for. Some people need a GHB to be able to make it 5 miles back to their house and others are looking for a kit to be able to hike 50 miles back to their home.

Good luck with your project and have fun putting together your gear.
  • Chris Anders likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 Knytemare

Knytemare

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thanks. I would be traveling substantially further than 5 miles but this is a good jump off point to get me thinking.
Posted Image

#4 nito

nito

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • Locationmidwest

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

I use a kelty backpack its in a urban color.
Posted Image

#5 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

There are a slew of good websites on exactly this (including, IIANM, a guest post on Art of Manliness about just this). Not to hijack the thread, but perhaps we might see after-action assessments on what *ought* to have been in the bag when someone had to get the hell back to Dodge to rescue the family after a tornado. I recall seeing just such a post, here or somewhere else (I will try to locate) on getting into a tornado strike zone to help out the wife of a close friend who was out of town on business. He needed to get into the area effectively but without carrying too much or appearing to be a bad guy (no weapons entering the zone lest LEO think he was a potential looter).

For my car get-home bag, I'm looking at Maxpedition bags right now, and trying to think about the likely cubic inch need for the gear. It will have to sit in the trunk next to the normal car emergency bag (which is bulky, with two blankets and a bag of kitty litter taking up the most space).

#6 Jon1911

Jon1911

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I currently carry a Triple Aught Design Litespeed. I work about 5 minutes from home, so I don't carry much in the way of tools, so much as I do office stuff, I work for a software company. I carry a 15.6" laptop, charger, mouse, earbuds, point and shoot camera, and a lacrosse ball (works great on sore muscle...Crossfit thing). I have an admin pouch on the outside, I can't remember where I got it. Inside there is a Rite in Rain pad and pen. If I could find them, I'd put some topo maps in the clear map insert, but I can't find topo maps for the life of me. I picked up a Kifaru waistbelt, as the Litespeed does not come with one (a major gripe for that pack) and it works great. I also carry a Sparks 500 lumen headlamp. That's it. I used to carry a lot more, when I traveled for work, but since I can get home in about 30 minutes by foot, I don't see the point. My pistol and spare mag is in the car.

Posted Image

#7 citadelmjt

citadelmjt

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Anyone use a 5.11 rush72? I can't afford a TAD right now but luckily theyre also not in stock, and I checked out a rush72 in US Patriot Tactical today and really liked it. Looking more into it though, I think I'll spring for the TAD fast pack based on how I plan to use it.

Edited by citadelmjt, 10 July 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#8 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Anyone use a 5.11 rush72? I can't afford a TAD right now but luckily they're also not in stock, and I checked out a rush72 in US Patriot Tactical today and really liked it. Looking more into it though, I think I'll spring for the TAD fast pack based on how I plan to use it.

With the exception of the fact that they are not manufactured in the US, I cannot say enough good things about the 5.11 Rush line of packs. I have used just about all of them and have never been disappointed by any of them.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#9 matttactical

matttactical

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'd go with a S. o. Tech bag if you can afford it. I've carried the carried the "go bag" for a couple years and in Afghanistan as an E&E/egress kit.
Im looking into the Mission Go Bag because I need the capability of carrying a laptop for my civilian job now. I have also carried the Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger pack. Any of the gearslinger bags are good ones, the only downside is Max bags are not made in USA. 5.11 makes great gear too for a decent price. Again also not made in USA as also noted by a previous post.

Really it matters on what your mission/goal/task, your philosophy of us for the bag. How much you want to spend, what kind of gear you plan on loading it down with, and if you care where the bag is made.

#10 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

I carry a Maxpedition bag for EDC and love it. Feel like a tool b/c I didnt know they arent made in the US
Protect the flock. Confront the wolf.

#11 citadelmjt

citadelmjt

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

So TAD hasn't had the Fastpack EDC in stock and I'm thinking of going for a cheaper option and using the savings to purchase other items. Also, I've been leaning towards the idea of a more inconspicuous style bag without losing utility. With that being said, I've been looking into Oakley packs since they seem to be a good option without screaming military/LE, etc. Anyone have an oakley pack or have other recommendations?
  • matttactical likes this

#12 matttactical

matttactical

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

http://www.zephyrspo...Sheetmetal.html

I carried the Oakley Flak Pack 2.0 quite a bit in Afghanistan and the back in the states.. it was an awesome durable pack down range and and the Oakley logo itself screams a pretty discreet pack.. stolen out of my truck a week before I left active duty.. so lame!! :(

Oakley makes good stuff!!

-matttactical out

#13 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

That's messed up man. I would love to catch someone in the middle of stealing my shit.
Posted Image

#14 citadelmjt

citadelmjt

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'd go with a S. o. Tech bag if you can afford it. I've carried the carried the "go bag" for a couple years and in Afghanistan as an E&E/egress kit.
Im looking into the Mission Go Bag because I need the capability of carrying a laptop for my civilian job now. I have also carried the Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger pack. Any of the gearslinger bags are good ones, the only downside is Max bags are not made in USA. 5.11 makes great gear too for a decent price. Again also not made in USA as also noted by a previous post.

Really it matters on what your mission/goal/task, your philosophy of us for the bag. How much you want to spend, what kind of gear you plan on loading it down with, and if you care where the bag is made.

I'm looking for a good EDC to store basic essentials (glock, flashlight, knife, tablet, gym clothes, etc) but double as a decent load bearing pack for long hikes/jogs. I was looking at the 5.11 rush 72 because I know it has the padded belt at least around part of the waist. That's the main reason why I was going to spring for the TAD fastpack or even the litespeed.

#15 Backwoods

Backwoods

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Condor products? I've been looking at getting one because the Camelback HAWG I've been using for EDC doesn't fit my gear how I'd like. I had my hands on one in a local store the other day but found it much cheaper online. Just trying to get an idea of the durability as I've not really heard if them before. This is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.co...TU8DZ48LXW&vs=1

#16 tiesonwooten

tiesonwooten

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific NW

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have a Goruck GR2. I took it out on a backcourtry survival trip shortly after I got it because I wanted to be SURE it could take the beating they claimed it could. I was as hard on that blasted rucksack as I could be and the Gifford Pinchot wilderness wasn't very kind either. At the end of the week, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that it was money well spent.

The ruck has a pocket, strap, and webbing for anything and everything you could possibly need to get the hell in or out of Dodge. They're pretty expensive, but I swear, my grandkids will fight over who gets that ruck someday.

There is extensive webbing inside and it has a great spot in the back for a laptop. I use mine for work and play, so it works great to hold all my EDC/GHB gear.

If you're looking for something smaller, the GR1 or Radio ruck would probalby work for you.
"Courage is being scared to death; and saddling up anyway."

#17 Bagrambill

Bagrambill

Landlubber

• Life Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I am planning now for my GHB and would welcome thoughts from all.... My situation is different than some as I travel to and from work by plane (commercial flights) and more often than not, to states that are not 2nd Amendment friendly. I have most of the basics covered and wanted to hear from the group some suggestions for my particular situation.

#18 Reaper Zero Eight

Reaper Zero Eight

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

BagramBill,

Going to states that aren't second amendment friendly, especially by plane, means you just got to get creative. Find a good improvised weapon that is discreet but will get the job done. The basics are what will let you survive and always have enough cash to get you home. Remember the most important things... Water, food, shelter and security.

If you're in an urban environment most of these are easier to come by. Your pack should vary on your destination.

#19 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

http://milspecmonkey...adapt-pack.html looks like a reasonably priced pack
Posted Image

#20 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

I know I am coming into this thread a tad late.. but wanted to comment on the RUSH 72. Its freakin huge. Not sure what exactly your means would be for a EDC but this I would think would be a bit big. Unless, you want the room, then it rocks. I have one and you can lose stuff in it has some many separate compartments for smaller items. I also have a RUSH 24, ( granted I wish it had a waist belt), but it makes a great EDC type pack. Well organized, lots of zippered internal compartments, a nice "lay it down and open it up" design versus the "dig down through it". I have had 1 for 3 years and I have not been kind to it and has held up well.

5.11 Packs seem a bit big compared to other 24 hour/72 hour type bags. Not that it's a bad thing....

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users