• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 john090anderson

john090anderson

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

What kind of home alarm systems are you using and what brand of alarm systems are the most reliable? I need to setup alarm systems at home. Please help. Thanks!

#2 Kenhumes

Kenhumes

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:46 AM

Hey John

I am currently using  Hikvision Hik7208dvr-8b15a2-kit Surveillance System which I purchased through IVP..

It is really a great product and of course reliable too..

There are variety of alarm systems that you can get..

But I will suggest you to determine your needs before purchasing one..

It is not essential that the system used by other person is good for you too..but yes..it is good idea to take recommendation from others.

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

Years and years ago, I worked for an alarm company. All the major ones are relatively the same. Motion sensors will cause you huge headaches. Door, window, and glass break sensors are best for a residential structure. Audible alarms usually do the trick, but I'd probably choose to have it monitored if it's in the budget.

One thing I can tell you is to make sure you actually watch the tech delete the service codes. While working there, I twice arrested an employee for residential burglary and they both used the service codes. Even better, read the manual to make sure you know how to do it yourself.

Sevice codes are automatically in these systems so the tech can install and test the system. But they're supposed to delete them after install. I'd say 90% of them are left in. Usually without nefarious intent. Usually the thought is to make it easier for service techs in the future or just forgotten.

Delete those codes
  • spenceman likes this

#4 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

I always struggle with the theory of home security.  The question I think comes down to what your intention is/who you want to stop (obviously everyone but..)

I determined that it's unlikely a highly trained team of infiltrators are going to try to get in... Probably no "Oceans 11" type scenarios either.  

Based on our location etc, for me it seems the biggest risk is the "common burgular" who would be, in general, a bit too lazy for an honest job.

For me the main part of the security content is the yard signs, and I wanted to go with something everyone would recognize, so I just went with ADT.

Of course by going with a "common" system I suppose there's risk that a "professional" would be able to find more information on how to disable it, but again, my assumption is I'm not dealing with highly skilled professionals.

I have been happy with our system so far, as far as functioning like it should etc.  

#5 Jon J

Jon J

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:54 AM

Hey John

I am currently using  Hikvision Hik7208dvr-8b15a2-kit Surveillance System which I purchased through IVP..

It is really a great product and of course reliable too..

There are variety of alarm systems that you can get..

But I will suggest you to determine your needs before purchasing one..

It is not essential that the system used by other person is good for you too..but yes..it is good idea to take recommendation from others.

I am also using Hikvision system now :cool: . Good product and excellent service. I also heard the Dahua is good, you may consider them. 

#6 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Cameras, physical locks, exterior lighting, dogs, armed inhabitants.  All good things for home security.

#7 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

We have been using the "ISmartAlarm" security system. Great system with no monthly fees. I also have security cameras called "blink" on order right now and I'm excited to put those into use. They are wire-free, WIFI cameras... I wanted the security cameras without the hassle of all the wires. Check them out!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alarm, Home security, Security, alarm system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users