16 replies to this topic

#1 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

I love my mexpedition sitka dearly... But I really think it's time to go with something a bit less likely to draw attention during daily use. I've been looking at a number of different bags. Has anyone here spent any time with the 5.11 TRIAB? I'm really into the "Covrt" model of that bag. I prefer a sling bag for everyday use because of the fast deployment and ability to draw from the bag while wearing it (as opposed to a backpack). I have found however that a sling bag isn't exactly ideal for long days if you've got it loaded up with any noticeable amount of weight. I think this bag may be a pretty decent compromise.

A couple of the other bags that I've considered are the 5.11 Covrt 18, and the Camelbak Dispatch. Really looking for something that is designed with CCW in mind. I just want to make sure that I've explored all my options before making the leap on yet another bag... Are there any other models that I should look into that are of a similar design?

Edited by SwatDawg335, 18 October 2013 - 02:57 AM.

NoTMZyB.png

#2 Scimitar

Scimitar

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

I had a Triab 18 for a while. I didn't like the way it opens from the "bottom".
Also had a Covrt 18. Didn't care for the organization layout.
I carry a Rush 12. If you want to be stealthy and not draw attention, try it in black. Unfortunately, it does not have a CCW section.
Semper Gumby...Always Flexible

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

I run the non-covert Triab 18 in midnight ash color as my EDC pack right now. My biggest negative against it is, as Lambing mentioned above, that it is slightly awkward in how the main compartments opens from the bottom if you are using this as a "normal" backpack. Their intent in that design feature was that it will be used as a sling pack and if you rotate the back from your back to across your chest you will have rapid access to the CCW pocket but also will be able to easily "rip open" the main compartment with an optional staged rapid pull tab and access either spare mags or potentially your H&K MP5, which it is designed to fit .

I really like the interior pockets, they put a lot of thought into every bit of the design and the back is fully ambidextrous in that if you are using at as a sling pack, no matter left or right handed, you can set it up to be able to pull it around to the front of your chest and access all interior pockets from either size. They also do full velcro and MOLLE on the interior so you can really customize it for EDC items. The CCW pocket on the front is perfect, I can easily fit my G23 in there using the TacTec "holster" and though it's a bit tight I can also fit my full size G22 w/ light in there.

Again, my comments are in regards to the non-covert Triab 18 but as far as I know the covert version is nearly identical on the inside and in features to mine.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 longshot0927

longshot0927

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm currently running the COVRT 18 and while it's adequate I do prefer a slingbag to access my firearm quickly. Also the conceal cary pocket isn't close enough to the back for the right kind of weight distribution. I looked into the TRIAB, but the color scheme and shape weren't "GREY" enough for me. Mil Spec Monkey just came out with a bag similar to the TRIAB you might want to check out. http://milspecmonkey...adapt-pack.html I'm actually considering just buying a Pacsafe sling bag and installing my own velcro for my CCW pistol.
  • SwatDawg335 likes this

#5 Scimitar

Scimitar

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

That MilSpec Monkey bag looks nice. They are here in San Jose, so I will have to stop by and see one in person.
Semper Gumby...Always Flexible

#6 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

Mil Spec Monkey just came out with a bag similar to the TRIAB you might want to check out. http://milspecmonkey...adapt-pack.html

Completely forgot about the Adapt Pack. I was looking at that a while back when it was initially released. I like the Urban color scheme. But I'm not too fond of the prominent velcro and molle webbing on the urban bag. I'm really leaning toward internal molle this time around.

I run the non-covert Triab 18 in midnight ash color as my EDC pack right now. My biggest negative against it is, as Lambing mentioned above, that it is slightly awkward in how the main compartments opens from the bottom if you are using this as a "normal" backpack.

I see what you're saying with regards to the bag splaying open from the bottom in backpack form. How well does it work to access the main compartment from the side rather than opening it all the way up? I'm thinking maybe running both zippers to one of the top corners and just opening one side when it's in backpack form may be an ok compromise.

NoTMZyB.png

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

I see what you're saying with regards to the bag splaying open from the bottom in backpack form. How well does it work to access the main compartment from the side rather than opening it all the way up? I'm thinking maybe running both zippers to one of the top corners and just opening one side when it's in backpack form may be an ok compromise.

That is exactly how I keep it when in backpack form and it works just fine for me. it took me a few days to get use to it but now I've had it for about a year and it works well for me.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#8 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

This is what I'm running at work. So far I'm very pleased with it and the layout works well. We just got issued the 5.11 Covrt 18 but I like the DaKine much better. It is way more low key and the layout isn't as good IMO.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

That's a slick bag Centcom. I don't suppose it's hydration compatible, is it? Though I suppose I could rig an anchor into the laptop compartment and run a hose out through the zipper. Hydration isn't a big sticking point for me, but it's nice to have the option available.

NoTMZyB.png

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

CENTCOM I need to apply to your agency, it seems that your admin (or gear/purchasing guy) has half a brain.

If you tell me I can run a weapon light on my duty gun I'll buy my plane ticket now, lol

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#11 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Wait... You're not allowed to run a weapon light? I feel your pain... Our brain trust won't allow us to carry any "edged weapon" other than the dept issued folding knife. *face-palm*

NoTMZyB.png

#12 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

[hijack]

SwatDawg,

I'm not currently OTJ, but the agency I'm hopefully going to get hired by (good chance) bans patrol officers from having weapon lights. The only officers allowed to run weapon lights are SWAT guys, and only during SWAT operations.

The agency rangemasters and firearms instructors have threaded barrels for their weapons to run suppressors (don't know why, but 'Merica), but nobody else. You have the option to carry a Remington 870 w/ SF light fore end for a long gun, or a DRMO M-16A2 (yes, the A2 handle that doesn't come off) if you qual with it (only offered once per year, you just can't go qual to put another rifle on the road), but not both.

Oh and snipers on the SWAT team aren't allowed to draw out patrol rifles when they're on the road. Only shotguns. Nobody knows why that is the case.

Only 2 officers in the 200+ dept are allowed to have personally owned rifles as patrol rifles, and no rifle is permitted to have an optic. 20 round mags for patrol rifles, only SWAT can run the 30s. Irons only. Single point slings are the only authorized sling. I'm a two point kind of guy myself, but single point is way better than 3 point. Until you have to go hands on w/ someone, then you're getting smacked with the rifle.

Agency duty ammo for the rifle? AE .223 62 gr BALL. BALL AMMO! Yes, my mind was blown as well. Granted, ball ammo out of a rifle barrel still will pack more of a punch than ball ammo out of a handgun, and ball ammo in any case certainly beats nothing, but for fuck's sake man, there's way better choices out there.

Nobody has an active shooter setup, like a bag or a vest. I have both I plan on using, because I'd rather be alive to face the admin, than be dead but within policy. Also have an IFAK I plan on carrying as well. I'm paranoid about being prepared.

I asked if I'd be able to run a Safariland 6280 instead of the Safariland SS III 070 triple retention holster (I call it the widowmaker), but they're set on everyone having the same holster. Equally offensive is the fact that if I were to carry the agency duty weapon while off duty, I'm required to carry it in a godawful SERPA holster. Don't get me started on that nonsense.

All my handguns have lights. My off duty gun will have a light in addition to a handheld light I carry.

The town is 25 miles w/ 100k pop, 24 schools, a shopping mall, dozens of shopping centers, and other target rich environments. It's only a matter of time before an active shooter incident comes to the area. I'm convinced it's a ticking time bomb. I plan on being ready once I'm OTJ. Just gotta wait until then. I currently work EMS full time in the town on the same 4 on 4 off schedule as the cops, so I'm slowly getting the ones I'm friends with to get on the preparedness bandwagon. I've made them IFAKs and got them to submit requests to attend TCCC training. It's a start.

On a side note, is your agency hiring?

[\hijack]

Edited by Jersey0311, 22 October 2013 - 04:14 AM.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#13 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

SwatDawg... Just wondering if you made a choice on a bag yet or discovered any other better options?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#14 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think it's going to be the Covrt Triab. I just got back from the Muster, and need to sit down and get some the checkbook squared away before I make the official purchase though.

NoTMZyB.png

#15 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I wound up ordering the Triab last night. I found a brand new one on ebay for $114 and couldn't pass it up. I'll be sure to post my impressions once I've had time to run with it for a while.
  • Davis likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#16 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

I wound up ordering the Triab last night. I found a brand new one on ebay for $114 and couldn't pass it up. I'll be sure to post my impressions once I've had time to run with it for a while.

That's a really good price. I get 5.11 stuff at cost through my work and cost is only a couple bucks less than your $114 for the Covert Triab.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#17 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well, the bag arrived today (a day or two earlier than I expected). I did the initial setup, but obviously I haven't had time to run with it yet. The first thing I did was rip the little 5.11 tag off the back panel. While it's got a bit of an abnormal shape, I think it goes without saying that this will blend in much better than my Sitka did.

Posted Image

The only exterior pocket is the concealed pocket which can be accessed by pulling the black tab in the upper middle area of the outside panel. It reveals a velcro lined panel which I used to stash a couple spare mags.

Posted Image

Both lower interior corners hold a pull tab which can be affixed to the outside of the bag for tear-away style opening. This works best when the bag is used in the "sling-style" configuration. The tab holds to the outside of the bag with a small velcro strip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a quick look at the inside with how I've got it set up for now. More often than not, the firearm will be concealed on my person, not in the bag. When it's in the bag I've got it held in place with a hazard 4 holster and an anchored raven concealment vangard. Everything else is attached to the molle webbing.

Posted Image

There isn't a lot of room left for general cargo. But that's not a big issue for me. This bag should do a much better job of blending than the bag I was running.
  • Davis likes this

NoTMZyB.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users