6 replies to this topic

#1 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Im looking at installig another CB/PA into my vehicle. I had one in my old vehicles, and I loved having them when I drove the highway to work. Whats "new" in this old game? Not looking for anything special, but a few miles would be nice. Our hunting groups are out of cell range, and we have had decent luck with CB radios reaching out to the highways. 'Corse, a HAM would be awesome, but 1) I never got certified, and 2) I don't have that kind of coin to drop for something I might use once a month or so.
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

I have a Cobra unit. It's decent. Antenna is the most crucial part though. You could get into ham very inexpensively. License is only $15. You can get a ham rig in your vehicle for about the same as a CB. It will open up your range extensively via the use of repeaters. And your power isn't limited to 4w

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Ham radio gives you so many more options. I am actually studying for my Extra Class test (hope to take it before Christmas... I missed the November testing date).

89BccLb.png

#4 1leg

1leg

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEscondido, ca

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

You can get your tech lic and a radio for under $100.

With that said i run both my ham rig and a CB, Locally i use the CB way more.

#5 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Well damn, now you have my interest peaked again. I'm going to need to find when the next local HAM exam comes to town. Perhaps I'll install a CB to get me rolling, then just go near retard with the cell booster, and HAM in the truck like I always wanted!
  • AaronK likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#6 Austin Powers

Austin Powers

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

PsychoFish I would love to give you some personal insight on this if we can meet at the AZ meet and greet.  I will post some pics of my mobile setup later today and give you an idea of how I roll, literally.  CB is not bad but I highly suggest getting your ham license.  It is not hard, I took the test for technician (lowest class) at 12 years old (thanks boy scouts).  There is a website called QRZ.com and if you go there and register with your e mail you can take practice exams from a pool of tests.  This is exactly how I studied.  Depending on how long it takes you to learn the material (35 question test) the actual test its self was quite similar if I remember correctly.  There are a number of sanctioned FCC test events in the valley through out the year and the cost for the test varies from where you take it but is about $15.  Once  you pass all you have to do is renew every 10 years and that is free! 

I am not sure what type of rig you were looking to go with, for example there are the radio shack CB units that plug into the cigarette lighter and have a magmount antenna that most people either route the antenna cable out a window and give it room (smart) or slam it in the car door ( not smart).  The other way is more dedicated and requires the antenna be mounted to the vehicle and power run from the battery.  This is the ideal way to set up a mobile radio as it allows for power right of the battery especially good for Ham use using high power radio's.  When your only pushing 4 watts on CB that is why you can go through the cig lighter.  Also allows for the antenna cable to be routed to wherever you mount the radio and then the window does not have to be down with a cord coming out of it or the dreaded cable slammed in the door method. 

You had mentioned that your hesitant to spend money on something you would only use once a month or so.  My question is how often do you use your rifle?  Once a month or so?  I use my mobile ham radio every day multiple times a day, you can find me on one of our local 70cm repeaters when I am not at work or at school.  Another great use for Ham is for emergency/ survival communication.  There are a few repeaters in the valley that have emergency backup power if they loose power from the grid.  The city of phoenix just put up a linked repeater system for CERT, and most of the hospitals have a repeater on top of them.  Many great reasons to go ham and lots of great equipment for reasonable prices.  I am a college student working off a college budget just to give you an idea. 

Sorry for the long post.  Will post cool pics and stuff of my setup later.

• PsychoFish, shadowx79 and Davis like this

#7 Austin Powers

Austin Powers

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

My apologizes for the delay.  Here is my mobile Ham setup.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

12114417184_5abb4b7707_c.jpg

Control head mounted below factory AM/FM radio. 

12114674426_7aa400d3e1_c.jpg

Radio Mounted in the rear cubby of my Jeep.

I don't have any pics of the antenna but it is a Diamond NR73BNMO.  The radio is a Yaesu FT-7900.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users