108 replies to this topic

#41 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

ssmith3351 said:

Gotta love Maxpedition gear, I've got three of their bags now. Love 'em. I just ordered an EMDOM "TNT" bag, but its a few weeks away before I get it. Looking forward to seeing it. http://prostores2.ca........tail?no=58 ~Steve

The TNT bag came in a few weeks ago. Very pleased with it and its construction. Not quite the perfect bag, but nearly so. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif

/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#42 Jeff.

Jeff.

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:25 AM

The TNT is a very sweet bag. I EDC a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger as a lot of others do, and I must say, Maxpedition makes some fantastic packs.

#43 Sgt. Art

Sgt. Art

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

My favorite edc bags are my Tactical Tailor Urban Operator pack, S.O. Tech Mission Go Bag, and Eagle Courior bag. All are top qualiity and will do the job asa low profile edc bag.

#44 Maverick9110e

Maverick9110e

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

I think my biggest problem is finding a bag that doesn't cost and arm and a leg, lol!

#45 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:02 AM

Sgt. Art said:

My favorite edc bags are my Tactical Tailor Urban Operator pack, S.O. Tech Mission Go Bag, and Eagle Courior bag. All are top qualiity and will do the job asa low profile edc bag.

I agree, Maxpedition gear is fantastic. So far I've found the TNT bag to be *almost* perfect for what I need.  ~Steve /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif

#46 agentofwrath13

agentofwrath13

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern United States

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

ssmith3351 said:

Hi Folks, I'm looking for some recommendations on an EDC bag. I've a rather large backpack, Maxpedition Jumbo, etc., but need something that I can carry a small 13" laptop, EDC stuff so I'm looking for some feedback on what you might carry. I'd like something small, but with lots of pockets, ability to carry a small laptop and isn't too heavy when loaded. I've read that the Maxpedition Mongo is too heavy for a single shoulder carry when loaded. I'd also like something that isn't telegraphing "military" when carrying CCW. ~Steve

As of now I run an HSGI Armordilla V2 and it works great.

#47 JLS

JLS

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

http://www.lapoliceg........utbag.html This is the bag I use for $20 it's not fancy but it gets the job done for me. http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2156_189226416https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2003600332962&set=a.2003599932952.121149.1332233698&type=1https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2003600492966&set=a.2003599932952.121149.1332233698&type=1

Edited by JLS, 28 April 2011 - 01:41 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Phil800101

Phil800101

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

I've been using a Blackhawk Advanced Tactical Briefcase (Black) for several months now, and I love it.  http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Advanced-Tactical-Briefcase,135,1394.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sddvvMkcKGE I'll go back to front  on the features. It has padding on the back which is nice to have when the bag is loaded down and banging against your hips. Also, there is a zipper-closed "pull-through" compartment, so you can attach the case to luggage when going through an airport or whatever.If you wanted to though, this compartment could also be used to carry some papers, or a newspaper or magazine.The laptop compartment is thickly padded and waterproofed (even on the zipper), with removable inserts for sizing. I carry a Sony Vaio 15.4" Widescreen in there, which just barely fit at first but now fits snugly. Very secure, no movement at all. If you don't carry a laptop, this compartment would work well for stashing documents, newspapers/magazines, etc.The main pocket is big, and can expand quite a bit. If you have the frontal pockets loaded down, it won't expand as much, but it is still very roomy...I have crammed a 1/2" binder AND several books in there, with one of the books being about 2" thick (900+ page paperback). It's deep as well, and there is a mesh zipper compartment where you could cram some stuff. This entire compartment is lined with waterproof material.The next compartment is a large zippered one. Inside there are two elastic pouches in the back, and an open area in front. This area would probably work well for carrying, as spare mags would fit nicely in the pouches while being accesible. While wearing, this compartment is easily accessed and opened. I keep my laptop charger in here, a Surefire 6P LED (and a spare pack of batteries), as well as some other odds and ends...and there is plenty of room left over.Next up there is a smaller zippered compartment. I have this full of writing utensils, my planner/calendar, and a small legal pad. There are four pen loops in front, and another, smaller zippered compartment off to one side. Next to the pen loops is a panel of loop velcro.The inside of the outer flap is essentially the cover of the main pocket, so it is lined with the same waterproofing. There is also a clear document pocket that closes with velcro. On the outside are three more zippered compartments, as well as four small metal closed D rings, and another patch of loop velcro. There is a removable ID panel with a clear front on the velcro in which you could insert a luggage tag or whatever. The flap closes with two adjustable buckles, so that it can be cinched down based upon how much you're carrying. However, the flap will generally stay closed without buckling, which comes in handy if you need to get at one of the other pockets quickly.The carrying handle is round and sturdy rubber, with reinforced attachment. It's comfortable and doesn't dig into your hand if you're hauling a heavy load. The shoulder strap is reinforced as well, and has a removable rubber piece that is both padded and non-slip. On the left side there is an elasticized pouch, just about the right size for a Nalgene bottle. On the right there are two elasticized mesh pouches, one in back that is longer, and a shorter one on the front. I use this to carry a water bottle, especially since when worn this makes the bottle easy to grab with my right hand while on the move.Overall, the bag is well made and sturdy. I've carried light and heavy loads in it comfortably.  It doesn't look overtly "tactical," so it blends in quite well. At around $150-$160 it's about 2-3x what most laptop bags cost, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

#49 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

I ended up getting a GORUCK GR1 and love it. This thing is extremely well made and looks and functions perfectly. I'm working on an eventual review but here are just two recent pics I took: Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 LAPyroFighter

LAPyroFighter

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:49 AM

I actually just went through the whole "what bag should I carry" and I mean I did about 2 months worth of research before I bought one.  I did buy a Rapid Dominance Mess. bag first because I thought I wanted to use a Mess. Bag, and came to realize that I just didn't like carrying one.  I even was looking at the ITS bag, (which is what brought me here).  I finally was about to purchase a Sitka from Maxpedition but, thought it was too outdoorsy/tactical looking.  I work in an office building where I have to wear ties and slacks and sometimes a jacket.  So I couldn't have anything that stuck out too much. I also have to carry an iPad for work and a dell computer so I needed to be able to carry those items as well and keep an organized bag that could handle my EDC items and a first aid kit.  Came across the 5.11 Covrt 18 bag.  It's typically 130 + Shipping everywhere but Botachtactical had it for 97 + free shipping.  Said what the hey and bought it. Bought it about a 2 weeks ago and so far it's a great bag.  It doesn't scream tactical, it's actually a joy to wear even fully loaded (which I do use on hikes).  and blends well.  The big thing I was looking for was Non-Tac looking and could CCW with ease and quick access, hence the look at the sirka and mess bags.  But I think the covrt 18 meets the needs I wanted. And has a place for my Nalgene which was another big item I wanted on the bag. Posted Image

Edited by LAPyroFighter, 27 July 2011 - 03:50 AM.

#51 belovedveritas

belovedveritas

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:10 AM

I picked up an ANT Industrial Design bag (while working with the disabled at a Goodwill) for $20. Not sure how much they usually run, but I came across mine brand new/never used. Messenger style -It fits a 15" laptop snugly and has great internal pockets for organization. I also like that it has backpack straps stowed inside just in case you need to convert it. Might be worth a look though i don't know when it was made or if they still make the same style.
Posted Image

#52 wwade63

wwade63

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

I have used a great number of packs over the years.  Mostly tactical packs of the Eagle Industries A III variety, Tactical Tailor, SOTEC, etc.  Wanting to blend in a little more and not look so tactical, I have found the Oakley Panel Pack.  It makes a great little EDC bag and is great for airline travel too.  It has an external zipper to access a laptop up to 15 1/2", three outside pockets and several internal pockets for various items.  It has become my EDC bag for the last three years.  It is not as durable as my old tried and true Eagle Industries A III that is bomb proof (literally), but it will serve you well and is relatively inexpensive. They come in black, tan and now MultiCam for those who want the tactical version.  The MultiCam model is a little more expensive however. Stay Safe!

Edited by wwade63, 07 August 2011 - 01:53 AM.

Posted Image

#53 belovedveritas

belovedveritas

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

anyone had any experience with the Hazard 4 bags? http://www.hazard4.com/products_evac_plan_b.html 
Posted Image

#54 LAPyroFighter

LAPyroFighter

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

The Plan B was on my list and I've had the pleasure of actually handling one. It's pretty damn big, I wasn't expecting it to be as big as it was.  I'm 5'8" about 200lbs stocky guy and it actually comes all the way across my back.  Very well made and it does fit a certain need.  But, before you look at purchasing that style, I'd look at CountyComm's SAT Small or XL bag. http://countycomm.com/satcomsmall.html or http://countycomm.com/satcom.html.  Price is decent and Maratac's nylon gear has always impressed me for quality. Not as many "frills and thrills". 

#55 belovedveritas

belovedveritas

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

good to know thanks for the feedback and recommendation! i'll check out countycomm site (finally up and running again!) 
Posted Image

#56 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

I've been using the ITS Discreet Messenger Bag for about 3 months now and I love it. I use it for everyday carry and as a travel bag. The best part about the bag is the medical pouch that holds the ETA kit allowing me to have a kit everywhere I go. The holster insert is great because it allows me to keep a weapon nearby without actually having it on me. After 3 months of everyday usage, the bag still looks brand new with no signs of wear. It's really comfortable and has everything I need in a carry bag.
Posted Image

#57 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

I've been using a Maxpedition Typhoon for a couple of years now and I'm looking for something to replace it.  It's a neat concept and looks cool... but ultimately, the level of functionality has been a letdown for me.  It doesn't do anything a decent messenger bag won't do and the main compartment is an awkward fit for a 15" laptop in a padded sleeve.  I do like the fact that I can sling it and have both hands completely free and my holster (4 o'clock IWB) clear of any straps, but that's not really enough to justify the annoyance of not being able to fit EDC + laptop into it and have room for anything else I want to carry.(The debate over whether to drop down to an iPad and wireless keyboard is another question entirely, but even if I go that route I'll still probably dump the Typhoon in favor of something with more usable interior volume and less hey-look-at-me PALS.)
The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#58 AGENTZ

AGENTZ

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Still in the decision mode on an EDC bag its down to either the ITS DMB  or the TNT bag, both seem to be on backorder? The TNT bag seems to have everything i need/want in an EDC except the discrete part it looks more like a BOB which isn't a bad thing!  The DMB appears to be less tactical in appearance and blends with the sea of messenger bags out there. Does anyone know when either bag will be available? The thing I would like to see on a 3rd gen DMB is what the TNT bag has, which is the different color interior and exterior which makes finding things in low light easier. The TNT bag looks like an excellent bag ,but it has a tactical look about it which is not bad but its not going to be discrete bag to be seen with.

#59 Packetknife

Packetknife

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

The TNT seems to be on fairly regular cycles of availability with another order due to drop in the next week or so. It's backorders filled first but if you email them with a particular need related to official duty, they try to make accomodations.My current two messengers are on their last legs and I'd like an ITS DMB but will likely fallback to the TNT based on availability/responsiveness. What did you decide on / get? -Pk

#60 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

We are working as fast as we can to get the DMB's back in stock, but at this time, we don't have a solid ETA for getting them back in stock. @Packet, if you've sent an email inquiring about the DMB I apologize for not getting back to you sooner! I'll be sure to update this thread and the rest of the forum whenever we get a better time frame for their production!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users