#1 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

NJ guys (and anyone else reading in the area),

Is there interest in a get together for some medical training? In NJ it's hard to do any sort of shooting, but medical should be relatively easy to do, provided we have a suitable place for it.

If someone has a decent sized yard, or even a basement where an informal class can be held, that'd be good enough. I'd host but I lack the appropriate facilities. I don't mind traveling however.

After having to use a CAT TQ at work the other night and being sent to 2 GSW victims a few nights later, I more than ever see the need for everyone, not just .mil or first responder types have this training.

I wouldn't charge for the class. The only cost I could see is if each individual participant goes to the store and buys a cheap cut of meat to practice wound packing on. I can supply the other training items such as TQs, gauze, bandages, airway adjuncts, and possibly mannequins. Hopefully I'd have enough to have everyone leave with a TQ.

I would bring examples of IFAKs, med bags, and other medical items for discussion purposes.

I already have an outline as I've done this class before for EMS providers. It was conducted over the course of 2 nights (classroom/prac app) and it was well received. It can easily be tailored to regular folks with no medical training as well. I encourage medical providers to attend as well, as this is nothing like what's taught in school I've been an NJ EMT for a number of years and can honestly say that TCCC type training is sorely needed in today's world.

I currently teach TCCC down at JBMDL as well, but unfortunately those classes are restricted (contract stipulations). So I'm doing what I can to get the knowledge out to the general populace, because everyone needs it.

Have knowledge, will teach/travel. Let me know guys. This shit is important.
  • Psybain likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#2 Peter.C

Peter.C

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

My ambulance corps responded to GSP and the idea of getting TCCC has come up. Would you be willing to come up to Northwest NJ and teach a class? We could provide you with all the equipment needed to teach. Also, there might be some LEOs who would be interested in attending too.

#3 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

My ambulance corps responded to GSP and the idea of getting TCCC has come up. Would you be willing to come up to Northwest NJ and teach a class? We could provide you with all the equipment needed to teach. Also, there might be some LEOs who would be interested in attending too.

Absofuckinglutely. What's your email? Shoot me one at [email protected]

From there, I'll give you a call and we'll set this up.

TBL-2.png

#4 Peter.C

Peter.C

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Email sent.

#5 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Yo Jersey, I just saw your email. Sounds awesome, and I'd totally be up for it. I think we can definitely throw a PA-NJ-NY-CT Muster. ITS ought to get behind us on this. Plenty of high-speed folks here looking to get together and share skills.
  • Psybain likes this

#6 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

I would be up for this. I haven't had any medical training since exiting the Guard, so I could definitely stand for some continued education.

#7 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

If anyone can come up with a suitable area, we could make this work.

TBL-2.png

#8 ty26

ty26

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I have a large heated garage at my office that we could have the event at.The building is in Alpha NJ right outside of Phillipsburg NJ. I am busy till after the new year but we could have it on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in January

#9 ty26

ty26

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have a large heated garage at my office that we could have the event at.The building is in Alpha NJ right outside of Phillipsburg NJ. I am busy till after the new year but we could have it on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in January

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

I'm down to work something out. Shoot me an email at [email protected]

TBL-2.png

#11 ty26

ty26

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

message sent earlier today. thanks

#12 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Myself and ty26 have laid out a rough plan for the class. It will be hosted by him on his property in Warren County, NJ. Once details are finalized, I'll post them here. Class will most likely either be a Friday night from 1800-2200 (classroom portion) and Saturday from 0800-1600 (skill lab/prac app/live-fire) or a Sat/Sun depending on my work schedule sometime in January. Limit is 15 students. I'll begin accepting RSVPs after I nail down a course date.

The class will be FREE. There's no charge. I'll bring all the training aids. The only cost to students would be to provide their own cut of meat (something cheap like a shoulder at the local supermarket close to the property). We'll be shooting them on the range w/ various types of ammo, and students will pack wounds in their own cut of meat. Students will also rotate into patient roles throughout the scenarios. Not everyone will get to be a patient, but everyone will get to treat one. I also recommend wearing clothing you don't mind getting permanently stained or destroyed. This includes shoes/boots.

There will be liability waivers that have to be signed as well. I don't expect anyone that gets hurt to sue me or ty26, but you just never know.

This is not the official TCCC course that gets you the NAEMT card. For those of you who aren't first responders, that isn't a big deal. This is more to impart the knowledge and skills to those who need it. Below is a rough course outline (subject to change)

Intro to TCCC

Student Pre-Requisites: Students need to have a working knowledge of the safe operation and manipulation of whatever weapon system they bring to class (if they bring one). No previous medical knowledge/training is necessary.
Gear Requirements:
  • An open mind
  • Notebook, writing utensil
  • Appropriate range clothing (that you don’t mind getting destroyed/stained permanently)
  • ALL associated gear [Armor, belts, chest rigs, active shooter bags, whatever you run for SHTF/work]
  • ANYTHING remotely tactical in nature you would like to bring [see above]
  • Personal IFAK/Medkit/Trauma Bags for review
  • Tourniquets if available
  • NJ LEGAL firearms/mags for final exercise
  • Eye/ear protection
  • A cheap cut of meat from the supermarket (like a shoulder, for wound packing training, this can be purchased close to the training site)
  • Food/water
Course Description: This class aims to provide a BRIEF overview of tactical medicine and to let students gain insight into what kind of training is necessary to successfully provide care in austere conditions. This is NOT a basic first aid class. Also, proper layperson interaction w/ first responders will be discussed. This class is for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. There will be a live-fire final exercise.

Course Outline:
  • Intro to Tactical Medicine
  • MARCH instead of ABC
  • Individual First Aid Kit [IFAK] Considerations
  • Jump/Aid/Med Bag Considerations
  • Gear Selection/Placement/Recommendations
  • Bleeding Control
  • Airway Management
  • Sucking Chest Wounds
  • Patient Movement
  • Self-Aid/Buddy-Aid
  • Tourniquet Application
  • Tourniquet Drills [with ALL gear on as per student occupation]
  • What to do before EMS gets there
DISCLAIMER: This course is NOT meant to turn personnel into a JSOC Jedi or Delta/SEAL lovechild. This is a MEDICAL course with SOME shooting, not the other way around.

Edited by Jersey0311, 08 December 2013 - 05:41 PM.

• CENTCOMSurvivor, iExpresso and Psybain like this

TBL-2.png

#13 ty26

ty26

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

We should post this on the pa forum as well. There are a few guys from the Lehigh valley and Philly area.

#14 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

We should post this on the pa forum as well. There are a few guys from the Lehigh valley and Philly area.

By all means go for it.

TBL-2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users