• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

"Everything in this room is eatable, even you. But that is called cannibalism, and is frowned upon in most cultures."
-William Wonka, chocolatier extraordinaire

Hat Tip on the classic movie reference... On another, more on topic, note... I have a pair of GT2000s from Asics that I love, though they seem to be degrading a lot faster than I want them to.

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 03 January 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• Psybain likes this

89BccLb.png

#22 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hat Tip on the classic movie reference... On another, more on topic, note... I have a pair of GT2000s from Asics that I love, though they seem to be degrading a lot faster than I want them to.

I seem to of had the same problem with my Asics. They broke down in a couple of months. Holes in the sides and the sole was smooth.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#23 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

If I remember correctly, there was pne variety of asics "go fasters" in boot camp that would literally fall apart within a couple weeks. They would get holes in the upers, and the midsole and bottom would just come off in pieces. It wasnt uncommon to see chunks of tread strewn around the squad bays, the pt field and the pft course. I've never bought any since.
  • spenceman likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#24 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

It makes me sad, I love how these feel to run in... but not their apparent life span problems.

89BccLb.png

#25 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

For everyday out and about I wear Adio Sydney's although I'm usually a Vans guy. 

At work I switch between the Adio's and Merrell Moab Ventilator's. We had a guy we were doing surveillance on spot one of our detectives just by the shoes he was wearing (brand new tennis shoes). While all the "tacticool" kids are wearing hiking boots/shoes theses days, most UC cops still wear new tennis shoes (here in FL anyway). Since I like to dabble in actual tradecraft, I never wear tennis shoes. 

Posted Image

#26 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

For everyday out and about I wear Adio Sydney's although I'm usually a Vans guy. 

At work I switch between the Adio's and Merrell Moab Ventilator's. We had a guy we were doing surveillance on spot one of our detectives just by the shoes he was wearing (brand new tennis shoes). While all the "tacticool" kids are wearing hiking boots/shoes theses days, most UC cops still wear new tennis shoes (here in FL anyway). Since I like to dabble in actual tradecraft, I never wear tennis shoes. 

Good point on staying aware of current fashion trends in your area so you know what might stand out. As for tennis shoes, they have their place in my closet solely as gym equipment.

How do you like the Moab's? I'm thinking of getting something along those lines for summer wear and am really please with my Merrell Perimeter hiking boots.

#27 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

If I remember correctly, there was pne variety of asics "go fasters" in boot camp that would literally fall apart within a couple weeks. They would get holes in the upers, and the midsole and bottom would just come off in pieces. It wasnt uncommon to see chunks of tread strewn around the squad bays, the pt field and the pft course. I've never bought any since.

When I went through recruit training we were issued New Balance. Still junk, cheap NB to equip a lot of people.
  • GJKin likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#28 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

When I went through recruit training we were issued New Balance. Still junk, cheap NB to equip a lot of people.

Want to know why?

MADE IN THE USA.

New Balance is one of the few brands that still has a factory building running shoes in the U.S.A.

I'm willing to bet the reason they keep a facility in the U.S.A. is to keep the U.S. military PE shoe contract =D

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#29 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think its nice to see American made whatever the reason. I have some really subdued black trail running shoes that blend with the community in my area, but it's not something a lot of folks consider when doing undercover work. 

89BccLb.png

#30 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

I should have added at the end of my post that I too don't care why they still have a facility here, I'm just glad they do.

• mangeface likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#31 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

At work, hutning, or camping I only wear Danner boots (huge fan boy for sure) and just last week I picked up a pair of the Salomon XA Pro's holy cow do I love wearing those! I always distanced myself from wearing shoes on my days off, usually electing to wear flip flops or the like. But these have changed that

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#32 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Extreme outfitters is having a pretty ridiculous sale on the Garmont T6 boots right now. Only $60 which is $120 off normal price.

http://www.extremeou...lbootblack.aspx

#33 George Matheis

George Matheis

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationYork County PA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

Lately Merrill Orgionals.  One of the only resolable hiking boots made in the USA.  Got em for the bike but wear em all the time. - George

#34 CaseyCadaver

CaseyCadaver

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:03 AM

$(KGrHqRHJBYE-hOvikZ4BPqUFOIwyw~~60_35.J

Vans all black classics. I've bought one pair a year for the last four years. This is my day to day shoe. Obviously I don't work in these. And I've recently purchased some Merrel hiking boots. I used to always hike in these. I love the thin soles. They give me the feeling of walking barefoot.

“Listening to the average martial artists talk about real world violence is like listening to ten year olds talk about sex.” SGT. Miller

#35 NoahRiot

NoahRiot

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

For work- Gripfast 10 hole boots. Similar to "jump boots"
Laziness, dog park, general kick around: some under armour cross trainers
Running- Adidas running shoes. But I'm switching to made in USA new balances
Besides that- Adidas Sambas are key... Sometimes converse all stars.

Pretty much trying to buy American as much as I can so maybe the next pair of boots will be some USA made redwings or something. Gotta do some research on that.

#36 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

If you want jump boots maded in the us, I think Corcoran makes their 10" jump boots here. They're pretty comfortable and last forever.

#37 Probablytaken

Probablytaken

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Most of the time I continue to wear my work boots on my days off, so for years it was Bates and more recently a pair of 5.11. Occasionally I will wear my newer Red-Wing, just because they seem more appropriate looks-wise for some routes.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.
It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan
Posted Image

#38 CaseyCadaver

CaseyCadaver

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

http://www.511tactic...on-trainer.html

Anyone out there tried these? They're built for training, but I'd wear these everyday honestly. I really like the nod to the old skate look, and the soles appear to have great traction without overdoing it. The only thing I think is off is that they also look like grandpa velcro shoes haha... And I imagine they take in water worse than my vans.

“Listening to the average martial artists talk about real world violence is like listening to ten year olds talk about sex.” SGT. Miller

#39 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Honestly, I hated them. They didn't even make it out of the store. In due disclosure: it could have just been how they fit me... but even the fit and finish seemed off. 

89BccLb.png

#40 SFPD2010

SFPD2010

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • LocationN. IL

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

I rock out Danner Acadia's at work, have a insulated pair for winter and a regular pair for spring-summer. I would like to pick up another regular pair so I can give my ones a break. Normally I have to have them resoled every 12-18 months, but I must walk like a penguin or something, I always wear the outside back of my heels before anything else. Causal wear it have a pair of Merrill's that are like wearing a cloud and a pair of Ariat square toe that are pretty comfortable. I've been looking at the saloman that Tactical distributors has, but don't know yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users