23 replies to this topic

#1 rancher1school

rancher1school

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Howdy there y'all,

Can anyone recommend a case for the Iphone 5C. I just got one for Xmas and I have not clue as what kind of case I should buy. I am looking for some case that has IP standards, I don't want to drop money on a case from Juggernaut Defense. They make a fantastic product,  but I still want to fit in.

Thanks for your help everyone. Celibate safely tomorrow evening, be sure to spend the night if you have to.

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an Otter Box case, and I've dropped my phone off the wings of 737s numerous times. Case and phone still look great.

So if you can find an Otter Box for the 5, I suggest that.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

I  have the iPhone 5 with both a Magpul case and a case called "Ballistics" and to be honest I think I like the Ballistics case a little more.

The Magpul case for some reason seems cheaper this time around.

• DeathwatchDoc likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have the Magpul case and I like it a lot better than other similar cases. It is not the most protective case but it is minimal and doesn't add a lot of bulk. Sadly, what DStevenson says about it seeming cheaper is absolutely bang on point. I had the same case for my 4 and it seemed a bit better fitted to the phone. Still a reasonable case for the price though, just not as good as they used to be.

I just looked at the case DStevenson mentioned and it looks pretty awesome actually. I may have to try it at some point. Which specific product did you use? (

89BccLb.png

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

One thing I need to mention also with the Magpul case is that I needed to cut some of the case away to fit some of my accessories.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#6 Badgerman

Badgerman

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'm running the Otterbox for my IPhone 5, it protects the phone very well. I just saw a new Otterbox model for the IPhone 5 one crew member on my department got. It's called the Otterbox Wallet case, I think. It has a wallet compartment that you put ID, credit cards, and what have you. It's pretty cool, but that model doesn't have a belt holster for the case.
Posted Image

#7 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Lifeproof. They rock. I kind of wish they did a wallet version too. I had the otterbox but it was too rubbery and would get stuck in my pocket. The other downside was that I would get bored and peel the rubber off and on with the otterbox case. This seriously hurt the case's longevity. Not a ding on the case itself, but if you are figity like me, then it is.
My Ipad mini has the lifeproof case also and I adore it. I get the Fre and not the nuud model.

SOS
Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

#8 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

I have the iPhone 5 with both a Magpul case and a case called "Ballistics" and to be honest I think I like the Ballistics case a little more.
The Magpul case for some reason seems cheaper this time around.

First, I'd like to thank DStevenson for hookin me up with his old iphone 4/4s case! I'm still using it and I'm not getting a new one until I upgrade the phone. Thank you!

Second, has anyone tried lifeproof cases? I've had otterbox cases for iPad and iPhone but stop using them after the silicone wore out.

ok, i see SKD post about Lifeproof. Is the ipad case worth the $130? thats a lot for something i dont know much about.

SKD, how would you say the lifeproof is better than the otterbox? any less bulky? i always have trouble with the silicone grabbing on the inside of my bag and pulling the edges of the silicone off.

thanks

Edited by jgnolen, 31 December 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#9 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

I have had an iPhone since the 3gs and have had many types of cases. The Otterbox does an incredible job of protecting the phone but has three "flaws": 1) bulky (but that's part of what makes it work, I assume), 2) the plastic screen cover can inhibit the touch sensing but I didn't have too many problems with this, 3) it's not waterproof. My favorite case by far is the Lifeprood nuud for my iPhone 5 for three primary reasons: 1) much slimmer form factor, 2) NO plastic screen protector!! [this is good because it eliminates the problem of a screen protector hampering the touch screen; FWIW, the fre has previously had considerable issues with this and that is why the nuud was introduced in the first place], 3) waterproof!! the case comes with a test kit to ensure your case is waterproof. As a Fire Medic, I wanted the best protection I could get for my expensive phone. For me, the nuud is the best option by far.

As a sidenote, my pockets are full with "things" I prefer to carry daily so I require a holster. The Otterbox's only flaw with its side holster is the plastic piece that keeps the belt attachment open for sitting on a table so it can sit upright on its own is easily breakable. I had to replace my holster a couple of times because of this. The Lifeproof side holster has its issues as well though. I am on my third now. The first broke at the tabs that keep the holster from spinning freely. These tabs actually only offer resistance to rotation. The second broke where the belt loop connects at the holster.

What I can say for certain, is that Lifeproof backs their products. I contacted them via their website to get an RMA for these two holsters as they were under warranty. Just from my info I offered in the comments section, they sent me two replacement holsters and told me not to worry about sending the old ones in. This type of customer service alone is worth me purchasing their products!

• iExpresso likes this

#10 RakkFO

RakkFO

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

I will second the Lifeproof option.  I got my wife an 5S and wanted to get another lifeproof case.  At the time Lifeproof did not have a case out yet due to the finger print sensor so she went with the Otterbox.   Otter Box was ok the speakers and front are open to environment and she wanted protection for like a spilled drink, rain, kids.  I went back a couple weeks later and got my self an 5S and they just came out with the 5s case.  The fingerprint sensor works and still retains the waterproof standard.  It is lighter and slimmer than the Otter box but longer and about the same on the width.  The rubber case on the otter box feels better to me but the Lifeproof also has a little bit of grip to it, just enough to keep hold of it but not enough to get stuck in a pocket which is a big deal.  I think you lose a little bit in the audio field since it is a sealed case but you can open the power port and get some of that back or install headphones.  At this time due to money my wife has not switched to lifeproof just because she does not want money in two cases.  I don’t think that will last much longer since her pink rubber is turning gray with use.  I have had great customer service with lifeproof just be careful because there are a lot of counterfeit cases out there and you have to buy from an approved retailer or direct.  call them up and read your S/N and they will tell you if it is real or not. 

• iExpresso likes this

#11 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

I can't say that the lifeproof case is worth $130 or not worth it. It is the best case out there in my opinion. I use govx.com and the lifeproof cases are about $65 for the Ipad mini. I use the Fre case and have never had any touch screen sensitivity issues at all. I like that when I trash the case I can just replace the front and my phone is still like new. I know different people that have to get the Nuud but touch screens all respond differently to different body temps/ types. We ran into this when designing our PIG FDT-A touch gloves. When we first began inquiring about the need for touch models, a lot of customers actually said the regular FDT-A gloves were thin enough in the finger tips to let them work already.

As for belt clips, I have no idea what is a good one or a bad one. The only thing that goes on my belt is my pistol. If it doesn't fit in my pockets, then I don't carry it.

SOS
  • iExpresso likes this
Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

#12 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

+!!!!! on the Lifeproof. I've used Otterboxes and every other case imaginable and the only case that has prevented my from destroying my phones are the Lifeproof. A little more slim and streamlined and are definitely water/beer proof (drunken night). My only gripe is that you do have to use the adapter in order to utilize most headphone plug options such as headphones, UP, etc. I use bluetooth headphones, so it doesn't bother me, but I've heard that being the foremost reason why people don't go that route other than the price. 

-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#13 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

I've used Otterboxes, Lifeproof and Go Ballistics for the majority of my phones.  

I've used the latter two for my 4S.  No issues with the Lifeproof other than the back plate warping for some unknown reason (maybe heat).  As someone else mentioned, they have amazing customer service.  One thing to note is that they sell it in separate pieces.  So the case is one thing and the holster is another thing. I haven't had many issues with the holster myself except the slide lock is broken so it is pretty much always locked in place now.  My fiancee also got me the BladeTech holster for it; which is also a great holster, you just have to watch where you position it because there is no give.

The Go Ballistic case was on par with the Lifeproof in my opinion except not waterproof  .  It came with a holster and it was not particularly expensive. 

Interestingly enough, Otterbox now owns Lifeproof as well.  

Posted Image

#14 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Just saw this on eBay and thought it looked pretty cool.

I find it hard to believe this cheap Chinese phone case actually has Gorilla Glass in it but what do you expect for 20 bucks from China?

$_3.JPG $_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2056016.l4276

Edited by DStevenson, 05 January 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#15 CaseyCadaver

CaseyCadaver

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

I've had my lifeproof for about a year and a half. I'm a mason and it's survived a lot. I wouldn't call it proof... I wouldn't even test its waterproof capabilities at this point. It's taken a lot of falls. A lot higher than what it claims to do.

“Listening to the average martial artists talk about real world violence is like listening to ten year olds talk about sex.” SGT. Miller

#16 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Lifeproof for sure. I love mine, and I rocked a few cases in the last year for my 5. This one just fits my lifestyle so much better than the others. Wether it be riding ATVs or working in the dust I know its good to go. Launching the boat, and forgetting its in my pocket still, or leaving it in a pocket and sweating my butt off in the 115 degree + heat. My tan one got the screen scratched a bit from a pocket knife that opened up in my pocket while the phone was in there so I'll probably replace it with another one pretty quick.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#17 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

I know this thread was about the iphone 5 case but with all of the endorsements for lifeproof, i found a discounted lifeproof case w/stand for my ipad 3 at REI online for $96. I also scored Two day free shipping from washington to south carolina in exactly two days to my doorstep! It's very a clean design and not as bulky as the otterboxes. I am very happy so far. After completing the waterproof test, i am confident this bad boy will do just fine. Though i am not going out of my way push its limits.
  • PsychoFish likes this

#18 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

No shitting you, I tied mine to a fishing pole, and casted it out into the lake. Reeled it back in, and it was still good to go. Anyone that knows me (DirtyTrigger can vouch) I use my gear hard, and abuse the hell out of it. Anyone who want to call BS, send me PM with your cell number and I'll send you the video the phone shot during all this! LOL

• iExpresso and Davis like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#19 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

I am a big Otterbox person. I have to say I put that face through a lot and it has also been ok. Now I always use the defender however I have a friend how works at Costco and he has the Armor, a bit better but also a good one. He dropped the case from the top of the building, it was an accident, he was trying to take a picture to email out, and the phone and the case was fine.

Over all they make a awesome case and their customer service is great too. Easy to replace a case that breaks.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#20 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

No shitting you, I tied mine to a fishing pole, and casted it out into the lake. Reeled it back in, and it was still good to go. Anyone that knows me (DirtyTrigger can vouch) I use my gear hard, and abuse the hell out of it. Anyone who want to call BS, send me PM with your cell number and I'll send you the video the phone shot during all this! LOL

I can attest to the fact that the LifeProof really is water proof. I don't own one of my own but I was at a helicopter underwater egress training with one of my co-workers and I thought it would be cool to take some under water pics but didn't have a waterproof camera. While no sooner do I say that then my co-worker grabs his iPhone in it's LP case and jumps in the pool head first. I was impressed as hell and sure enough the phone didn't get any moisture in it. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iphone, case, water resistant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users