• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,592 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

While doing some random exploring of medical kits I found this one quite unique. It's essentially an IFAK that's packaged in the shape of a SAPI plate and fits right behind one, rither the front or back plate. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I think that it isn't a bad idea if placed behind the back plate, where you're less likely to have trauma from rounds impacting. On the downside, it is placed in a location where it is going to be laid on while in prone or leaned on while sitting. Also, usage of a battle belt may hamper quicker deployment.

At $150 a piece, it's kind of hard to say if it's more beneficiary to a normal style IFAK, like an ITS Fat Boy in the blow out pouch.

http://phokusresearc...ons_trauma_kit/

Edited by mangeface, 07 January 2014 - 11:06 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

I see no advantage over a standard ifak. If your sapis take a few huts, you risk the contents being damaged, or if the casualty is injured in a way that he cant be moved amd its underneath, then youre in a predicament where you may injure him further if you mive him to get his ifak, or possibly kill him in the process. Give me a fatboy or tallboy any day.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

I guess I can see some good things about it, but I don't know that it is the greatest thing since duct tape and WD40 which is what the guy in the video would have you believe. In the end you are still tearing open a plastic bag that has everything packed in it. I would personally rather have a med kit that is in a med kit bag with organization so when you open it up everything has it's place. 

I think the best thing this kit has going for it is that it does not take up any real estate on your PC or belt or where ever else you may carry your med kit. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

I like it. Some of the more progressive units have been doing stuff like that for a while.
I always hated the bulky IFAK pouches we had to lug around on our PCs and the ones in our pockets would get thrashed. The slimline factor is always a plus, and having a nice tight vaccume sealed container keeping everything dry and tight together is always good. The majority of stuff in the IFAK can be laid upon without damaging them, with the exception of the 14ga chest dart, which if it's in a tough enough container wouldn't be an issue either.
Any casualty in a combat situation is going to be rolled onto his back for buddy aid and or corpsman/medic aid, so having it stashed under the front plate is legit. Plus once in the tactical field care portion of care, the pt is going to have his PC removed for Tx anyways, so that's a moot point.
The only major drawback I see is the price. We could crank out an almost identical product with the same supplies from our medical department and an as seen on TV vaccume sealer.
Just my two cents.

#5 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

I like the concept. Especially for self-applying IFAKs, but shouldn't the IFAK pull tab be more visible? Maybe a safety-orange tab that protrudes from the ballistic plate pocket. Unless the "Sons Trauma Kit" is unilaterally adapted among warfighters, how will someone know you're packing the kit? 

#6 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

If everybody in the unit is packing it, then the retrieval of the IFAK would be a trained to SOP, same as the use of all other IFAKs, you would have to train with it.

#7 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

If everybody in the unit is packing it, then the retrieval of the IFAK would be a trained to SOP, same as the use of all other IFAKs, you would have to train with it.

Obviously. Your sentiments are what I implied. Herein lies the problem: assume that there is a TCCC situation and the person attempting to render CLS aid to you is looking for a non-existent MOLLE pouch with a black/red medical cross embedded on it - what then?

#8 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

I see your point. I'm just used to working with my own guys and not having Johnny somecock running up to treat one of us. In that case I suppose a little tab, like you suggested would be a good feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users