13 replies to this topic

#1 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

So I bit the bullet and e-filed with the ATF for my first suppressor yesterday :cool:

I setup a trust and am getting a huntertown arms Kestrel 556.  My next one will be for my 9mm pistols (with hopefully a dedicated one for 22lr after that).  For those of you who have suppressors I have a quick question.  I'm confused if you must have an adjustable gas block to run suppressed?  I have a DDM4 V3 and have only made cosmetic changes to it.  Can I suppress it out of the box or do I need to make some gas block mods while I wait for approval from my mommy government?

Edited by Superman, 23 January 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Awesome! How did the process go for setting up the trust?

As far as I know, the only thing you will want to do is put a heavy buffer in it to slow the bolt due to increased gas pressures. A Spikes Tactical ST-T2 would work great.

Reading up on the specs of the DDM4V3, the barrel is 16" which means the flash suppressor shouldn't be pinned or welded. Have you tried removing it yet? Give that a try and see if it comes off. If it doesn't look and see if you can tell if there's any spots that looks like it was welded. If you can't, and I were in your shoes, I would take the paint off the flash suppressor and check it for any signs of it be permanently attached.

Edited by mangeface, 23 January 2014 - 10:47 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Awesome! How did the process go for setting up the trust?

Fairly straight forward.  The confusing part was the logistical steps I had to go through.  Since this was my first NFA item as well as initial trust setup, I was confused on some of the steps and what information I needed to gather before I executed the trust and when I needed to get the make/model/serial number and all that.  I think it will work great for future transactions though as I'll just be amending the trust from now on instead of setting it up at the same time.

As far as I know, the only thing you will want to do is put a heavy buffer in it to slow the bolt due to increased gas pressures. A Spikes Tactical ST-T2 would work great.

I think it comes with a heavy buffer already (h buffer, same thing right?).

EDIT: After some google-fu, apparently the DD buffer is the Spikes buffer without the Spikes brand on it.

Reading up on the specs of the DDM4V3, the barrel is 16" which means the flash suppressor shouldn't be pinned or welded. Have you tried removing it yet? Give that a try and see if it comes off. If it doesn't look and see if you can tell if there's any spots that looks like it was welded. If you can't, and I were in your shoes, I would take the paint off the flash suppressor and check it for any signs of it be permanently attached.

Yes, the flash suppressor is not pinned or welded and I can take it off easily.  That brings up another question though...There are muzzle attachments that support suppressors on top of them right?  So I don't have to take it off to put on the can?  The info I'm seeing is that they usually have to be made / supported by the suppressor manufacturer.

Edited by Superman, 23 January 2014 - 11:56 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

AAC, gemtech, and one or two other brands have suppressors specifically designed to mount directly onto the a2 birdcage. I think the notch in the dd birdcage is there to help index a suppressor, actually.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

I think it comes with a heavy buffer already (h buffer, same thing right?).

I have not double checked my data in a while but the H buffer is the lightest of the heavy buffers.

But there is a difference in weight between a Rifle Buffer and a Carbine Buffer.

The heavy carbine buffers replace the steel weights with tungsten weights.
There are just approximations but below are the weights.

H (or H1) is 3.8oz

H2 is 4.6oz

H3 is 5.4oz

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

For my first post hopefully I can add some value to those getting into suppressors.

I see the OP intends to get a suppressor for a 9mm next. You may want to consider going for a .45 can and some conversion pistons instead of smaller caliber specific models.

I have an AAC Ti-Rant .45 which I also use on .40 and 9mm.

The same applies for rifle cans. I can use an AAC 762 SDN-6 on 7.62/.308, 300 blk, 6.8, 6.5 and 5.56.

Cans can get pretty pricey so why not try to cover as much as possible.

• Psybain and Superman like this

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

I just saw a review of a multi-caliber can on YouTube (by TwangAndBang) and I found it interesting.  What are some of the limitations of going to a larger can and using a smaller caliber rifle with it?  Let's say I go with your AAC 762 SDN-6... Is the only drawback to using a smaller caliber is I lose some of the effectiveness of the sound suppression?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#8 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

The primary limitations to most will be the initial cost, size and weight. Larger caliber suppressors are usually more expensive, larger and heavier though the weight, size and sound reduction disadvantages when compared to/used on a smaller caliber models are minimal at best. (Some get hung up on a several db reduction loss though outside of subsonic rounds most wont notice any difference.)

Of course all of these are offset by the versatility and cost of any additional suppressors and the $200 tax per.

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Found this very useful PSA video =)

www.youtube.com/embed/nDaSGqkQ4d8

*edit* Why the heck won't the video embed?

Edited by DStevenson, 03 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

• mangeface, DeathwatchDoc and Millertime1103 like this

#10 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

I love how they stylized it like a 1940-50's PSA. 

89BccLb.png

#11 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Found this very useful PSA video =)

www.youtube.com/embed/nDaSGqkQ4d8

*edit* Why the heck won't the video embed?

That was nothing short of awesome! Imagine what would happen if you walked into a gun shop wearing a long coat and hat nowadays...

-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#12 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I run an AAC tiRant on my 9mm

Posted Image

#13 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

So I just got an email saying my tax stamp is in!  Not a bad turnaround time (well, relatively...and yes, I think there should be a turnaround time of zero days).  I submitted electronically on Jan. 22nd.  I'm heading to pick it up tonight!

• iExpresso and DeathwatchDoc like this
Posted Image

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

So I just got an email saying my tax stamp is in!  Not a bad turnaround time (well, relatively...and yes, I think there should be a turnaround time of zero days).  I submitted electronically on Jan. 22nd.  I'm heading to pick it up tonight!

Congrats! Hopefully you'll post some pictures and a good review of your new toy. Some of us must enjoy suppressors vicariously...

89BccLb.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suppressor, nfa, aft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users