14 replies to this topic

#1 Peter.C

Peter.C

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Yesterday when I was traveling to work I noticed a man driving quite aggressive behind me. At this point I am going 40 in a 25 with a hard 300 degree angle coming up in the road (I seriously want to meet the guy who designed it like that). He starts riding my rear pretty hard giving me maybe two feet. Since I did not feel like getting into a car accident, I tapped my brakes hard enough to send a message but to get no contact. I do this occasionally as it is one of the cores of the CEVO program I took and it normally works.

This time however; that maneuver backfired on me. I check my rear during this hard turn and see the guys body language go wild as he slows down, still keeping 2 feet from my bumper. At this point I realized I poked a bear with a taser and realize how limited by evasive driving skills are. I continue my way to work hoping he will just get bored and go his own way. He doesn't. I keep checking the rear-view to see if there is anything basic description I can get to relay to law enforcement. Guy had no tags in the front (illegal in NJ, I could only tell it was NJ based on the inspection sticker) in his gold late 90s early 2000s Toyota Camery.

He follows behind me for about 4 mile, putting on his turn signal whenever I put on mine, until I decide to just do my best to lose him. I put my right hand signal on and he does the same. I check the oncoming traffic and note there is none so I make my move. I made a hard left onto the street which he defiantly was not expecting. By the time he can even process this, I already am speeding down the road just .5 miles from work.

My question for you today is, what would you do in this situation? Did I react appropriately? If this had escalated further to confrontation, what would you have done? 

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'd call the cops. Esp if this was in the town you worked in, let 'em know you're one of them and you're being followed. I know around here, I'd have half the cars on the road out headed my way.

• Peter.C likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

If I had somebody doing that to me and they were becoming more aggressive and not backing off after a few turns, I would call the police on my cell phone give them play by play updates and start driving to the nearest police station. I would not stop anyplace that is associated with you (work, home, etc.). Hopefully the PD will dispatch a unit to your location as you are driving, but if they do not then I would not stop until you are at the PD. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'd definitely stay on the move while in contact with local LE. Try to stay on roads with limited stoppages (lights stop signs etc) that could be an opportunity for a physical confrontation

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Definitely calling the cops and definitely staying on major public roads with minimal stopping points but enough traffic to never be alone or unobserved. All in all, glad you made it home safe to ask such questions!

89BccLb.png

#6 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

Breaking checking people is never a good idea. Poking the bear could have been worse, in today's world you never know how crazy someone is.

But that's being said call the cops next time. They can tell you were to go and catch the guy in the act.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#7 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:22 AM

I can't say that brake checking an aggressive driver isn't fun and entertaining. However, experience dictates that It's best just to avoid potentially confrontational situations by simply playing it cool. Believe me, I know it's difficult to suppress the "id" or any other physiological motive to instigate trivial hostility, but sometimes you just have to allow knuckleheads like that to pass you. Please feel free to report erratic drivers to local law enforcement. Don't jeopardize your life or the lives of other living things by attempting to hit evasive maneuvers on public highways -- regardless of any advanced vehicle training you received. Stay safe!

#8 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Sound advice

Edited by mike2468, 09 March 2014 - 07:28 PM.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#9 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

I am all sorts of piss and vinegar when it comes to this. 

1) the correct answer is: Call dispatch (non emergency if there is no imminent threat) inform them of the situation and proceed along your path with them on the line. Likely a cop will show up and intervene, remember though brake checking someone is careless driving and admitting to that will probably land both of you a ticket, him following to close, and you a careless. The situation will probably be handled the best in this manner. 

2) Then there is the hot headed I need to talk to someone about my issues way: Slam on the brakes and give him a wake up, when he follows find a nice place to pull over and pull your car sideways, get out of the vehicle keep your vehicle in between him and you assess the level of threat he is or isnt and proceed with your violent encounter. See I know how this sounds, however this day in age people don't have any clue what consequences are and they need re-taught. However in this situation you may be facing a man with a pistol on him and then your lesson turns into something deadly that you may or not get out of alive. Not only this a gunfight in an urban area has the potential to bring innocent lives into the crossfire or surrounding area also remember even if you prevail in a gunfight and its legit, you still face civil action and psychological torment for the rest of your life. On the flipside if its a non lethal encounter you get to throw a beating on a dipshit that will then go and tell all his buddies what happened and the circle of stupid will get smaller. 

I don't really go looking for violence, but I do believe that the best teacher in the world is pain. This society needs more painful reminders about consequence. But like I said, option one is the best method for what you are describing.

Edited by SteveSOS, 09 March 2014 - 08:49 PM.

• PsychoFish, AaronK, Jersey0311 and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#10 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I don't play games anymore. If I make random turns, and you are following me, and on my butt, I'm calling 911 and leaving the area. Too many AH's that know me, and don't like me.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#11 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

When someone is following too close when I'm already in excess of the speed limit I slow to a crawl until they pass.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#12 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

I keep the non-emergency numbers of the multiple departments/municipalities through which I regularly drive on my cell phone, organized as Police [city] so that I can voice dial it if necessary.  I also keep the highway patrol in there too.  Sounded a little silly at first to my wife, but then  I pointed out that if you're sideswiped on a road by a hit-and-run driver [which has happened before] and you're fine you aren't calling 911 and you aren't going to spend time trying to look up the non-emergency number on a smart phone's browser.

Oh, and never ever stop the car.

1) the correct answer is: Call dispatch (non emergency if there is no imminent threat) inform them of the situation and proceed along your path with them on the line. Likely a cop will show up and intervene, remember though brake checking someone is careless driving and admitting to that will probably land both of you a ticket, him following to close, and you a careless. The situation will probably be handled the best in this manner. 

Edited by Armitage12, 16 March 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#13 victorgolf

victorgolf

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

When someone is following too close when I'm already in excess of the speed limit I slow to a crawl until they pass.

I am the same, depending on how I'm feeling, if I see some chump coming in hot, I normally indicate and pull to the side a bit and let them through, more often than not they fly past without issue.

If they hang in behind regardless of my pulling over, and they start getting agitated by me doing the speed limit, I just take them on a crazy loop until I can pull into a PD carpark, which has thankfully only happened once, he left as soon as he realised where I was heading, not before flipping me the bird and running a red.

Untitled.png

#14 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

People have brake checked me on the highway, usually while in the left lane and going below the speed limit, and have plenty of room to get over to the right.  Brake check has never caused me to mellow out and back off, whoever came up with that is a moron.  My personal request, and advice is to get out of the way.  That person up your tail pipe  could be a doctor trying to get to an emergency surgery, or someone rushing to help a family member with a critical incident, you just don't know.  I'm not so much of a jerk that I get in front of people who are in more of a hurry than me and try to make them conform to what I'm doing. 

#15 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:24 PM

Please don't revive long dormant threads. If a thread has been idle for an extended time (almost 2 years in this case) just start a new topic.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users