15 replies to this topic

#1 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Well I am moving to Oregon this summer looks like I will be there around the 27th of june.  I will be in the Astoria area and was just looking to see who is around the area.  I have heard the brewries in the area are definitely a must see is there anything else I should check out in the area? Also is there anyone that shoots competitively in any of the 'practical' style shooting in the area like IDPA, USPSA, 3 gun, Tactical precision rifle, etc? I enjoy competitive shooting and would love to get into it a bit more if there is anything relatively local.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

Congrats on your orders to move back down to Lower America! I've got some family in Oregon so if I get up that way I will hit you up for beer. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Congrats on your orders to move back down to Lower America! I've got some family in Oregon so if I get up that way I will hit you up for beer. 

Sounds good as I understand it there are quite a few good breweries in the area.

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Keep it in mind that Oregon doesn’t honor any other states CCW license. They have open carry, but if you want to conceal you'll have to get one from the state.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Keep it in mind that Oregon doesn’t honor any other states CCW license. They have open carry, but if you want to conceal you'll have to get one from the state.

Yeah i am aware last time I checked I my Tavor in a tennis racket case isn't a concealed pistol ;-).  I am kidding I intend to get the permit as soon as I have an Oregon address. I also have to get a Washington permit as I am originally from Washington and have family there so I will be crossing the border often.

#6 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Where abouts in WA? I'm in the Tacoma area, maybe we can cross paths sometime

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Where abouts in WA? I'm in the Tacoma area, maybe we can cross paths sometime

I am originally from the Tri-Cities.  I will be getting off the ferry in bellingham and have a day or two in the seattle area.  You can just drop me an email and we will have to grab a beer or something.

#8 Krono34

Krono34

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

B3dlam- there is a ton of stuff around Astoria related to the Lewis & Clark expedition, WW I & II coastal batteries, and just the history of the area in general. I spent much of my life growing up in that area. There are also a few settlement era cemetaries and museums around.

Much of the camping is KOA controlled grounds or state managed sites. That isn't typically how i roll in the mountains but the trade off is there are trails everywhere and you have the beach. The museums were cool when i was a kid, now as an adult it fascinates me to see how the expedition went about their daily lives in uncharted land.

Hope you enjoy it!

(Bring a raincoat!)
'OVER THE LINE! This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules... MARK IT ZERO!'

#9 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

B3dlam- there is a ton of stuff around Astoria related to the Lewis & Clark expedition, WW I & II coastal batteries, and just the history of the area in general. I spent much of my life growing up in that area. There are also a few settlement era cemetaries and museums around.

Much of the camping is KOA controlled grounds or state managed sites. That isn't typically how i roll in the mountains but the trade off is there are trails everywhere and you have the beach. The museums were cool when i was a kid, now as an adult it fascinates me to see how the expedition went about their daily lives in uncharted land.

Hope you enjoy it!

(Bring a raincoat!)

I am coming from kodiak alaska so I have a plethora of rain coats.  Now I just need to find some good long range shooting ranges in the area.

#10 Krono34

Krono34

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

My buddy used to hunt elk down there. I haven't done any shooting in that area. Camp Rilea is located near Warrenton, I don't know if they offer a sportsmans range there but its worth a try.
'OVER THE LINE! This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules... MARK IT ZERO!'

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

No clue hopefully I can find something relatively close that will get me out to at least 1k.

#12 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Late to this thread, but welcome to Oregon! Astoria is a lot more relaxed and less touristy than nearby Seaside or Cannon Beach. As mentioned above, there is plenty of historical stuff to check out. Also, the Columbia River Maritime Museum in town is definitely worth a look. And right up the street from there is Bowpicker's fish and chips -- awesome food. If you're a coffee drinker, there are two companies across the state with drive-through stands: Dutch Bros. and Human Bean. Unfortunately, as far as ranges go, I'm not familiar with anything over there. Hope the move goes well, and if I can help with anything else, just let me know...

#13 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Mmmmm Dutch bros....

#14 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Late to this thread, but welcome to Oregon! Astoria is a lot more relaxed and less touristy than nearby Seaside or Cannon Beach. As mentioned above, there is plenty of historical stuff to check out. Also, the Columbia River Maritime Museum in town is definitely worth a look. And right up the street from there is Bowpicker's fish and chips -- awesome food. If you're a coffee drinker, there are two companies across the state with drive-through stands: Dutch Bros. and Human Bean. Unfortunately, as far as ranges go, I'm not familiar with anything over there. Hope the move goes well, and if I can help with anything else, just let me know...

I do love dutch brothers got coffee there a few times while I was home visiting family in Washington.  I was half confused when the person at the drivethrough just wanted to chat for a while when my coffee was getting made rather then making themselves scarce.

#15 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Sometimes I wonder how many espressos the baristas consume in a day...  :D

#16 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog