14 replies to this topic

#1 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHolly Ridge, NC

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

Good morning from the Gulf... Arabian. So I have new orders. I'll be reporting to Camp LeJune, NC.

Ok, I know what your thinking... and NO! No USMC here. No offense, just not me.

I'll be reporting to the Coast Guard's Special Missions Training Center (SMTC). The plan is report into the armory and work on my Armorers and Instructors Quals and eventually be a Special Weapons Instructor.

I'm really excited about this assignment, I mean hell... this was my Number 1 pick out of this special assignment. I'm looking for some info really.

I'm coming from Oregon (Last Year), and looking for some area info. And range info. I plan on getting some quality time in for a change. I'm not quite sure how it is in NC as far as shooting goes, but Oregon if there's open land... You can shoot! I plan on finishing my second AR, and converting my current AR to an SPR Type rifle. I also need to finish my Mosin, and shotgun. So i'd like to find a place I can shoot pistol, rifle, 12ga and possibly 100yd plus to sight in all my weapons and possible get some run-and-guns in. Also, maybe some gunsmiths? Or decent gun shops?

Let's be honest, i'm looking for any info really. Shooting, offroading, camping, dog parks (lol), shopping (wife), eating (Love Mexican food haha). Maybe a decent area to live? 2 bed, garage, fenced yard??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
FreeStyle 1138

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

Ok, it's been 2 years since I've been in that area, so here we go. There's a couple of ranges. One is Flatwoods which is an outdoor range. I equate it to shooting on a military range. Slow and painful. 20 minutes of everyone prepping and placing targets for 5 minutes of shooting. The range goes up to 200 yards, and they also have a pistol and trap range (on the same line as the rifle range).

The other is Sportsman Lodge, which has an indoor range. I don't remember much, I just shot my pistol there once.

The majority of my shooting was done at Catfish Lake north of Jacksonville. I couldn't tell you if it's still allowed or not. A lot of service members get killed driving like stupid fucks up there doing 80mph on a gravel road that has drainage ditches with 3 feet of water on both sides of the road. Easy to guess, they loose control, flip over into one and drown.

Now as far as open land in North Carolina, truth be told there isn't any. EVERYTHING is owned by someone. So meet people and see who may have land nearby.

As far as gun shops, there's Flatwoods Outfitters, Sportsman Lodge and Eastern Outfitters. Eastern is the best one for FFL shipping from my last occurance.

As far as gunsmiths I really don't know. I didn't ever require any work but you'll be able to find some via word of mouth around there.

Camping. Hmm...well I campes at Catfish Lake and I also went up to the Croatan Forest near the Neuse River. Basically, the options for camping are limited by the land. If you feel like traveling you can go out the the Appalachian and camp there.

Where to live is best dependant on which base you'll be working on. If you can figure out I can help you out better here.

As for shopping for the wife, there's some but not a whole lot. But an hour's drive south and you're in Wilmington which is a pretty good sized city.
  • FreeStyle1138 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Oh, forgot to add if you run an AR and don't mind the aluminum mags, Camp Geiger, which is located within MCAS New River off Highway 17 near Camp Lejeune, has aluminum AR mags in the MCT exchange for like $7 a piece. Last my buddy told me is you're restricted on how many you can buy at once. Something like 2, but they're the military issued ones, so after a quick follower swap they're nice.

Also, check out Extreme Outfitters. They have a camping store and a tactical store. They give discounts and have a lot of awesome stuff there. A majority of my camping gear was purchased from them.

I'm sure Jersey0311 will be along shortly and can give more information, he was stationed at Camp Lejeune at the same time I was at MCAS New River.

Edited by mangeface, 13 March 2014 - 11:02 AM.

• FreeStyle1138 and Jersey0311 like this

VQz5Nwz.png

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

The SMTC is located in the Courthouse Bay section of Lejeune, which is out by the back gate, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. I'm jealous, I know that's a good ass gig, with some fantastic training going on at the school house.

In the Courthouse Bay section, it's sort of self sufficient as far as local conveniences go. There's a little 7 Day Store (convenience type thing), chow hall, and the other misc bullshit. The Marine Corps Engineer School and associated facilities are located there as well, and there is a rather large amount of students milling around at all times. It also has an ID card center, which at the time of my enlistment (08-12) was one of the best kept secrets on base as you didn't have to wait that long for an ID if you needed a new one, as no one ever knew about it/

Stay the hell out of Jacksonville. Jacksonville is the armpit of the Carolinas. JPD are Nazis (I would be too if 90% of my population was military who acted like assholes), and Onslow County Sheriffs don't fuck around either. Hell, LE in NC write each other tickets, so definitely obey the speed limit. Also Jacksonville has a city tax you have to pay as well. It's a military town, so it has the usual suspects. A Wal-Mart, tons of dining establishments, hotels, strip clubs, bars, and car dealerships for days. Jacksonville isn't exactly family friendly, IMO

I recommend checking out the communities of Topsail Island, Holly Ridge, and Sneads Ferry, which are all just outside the back gate. Wilmington is less than an hour's drive south on Route 17, and Myrtle Beach isn't much further.

If you don't mind a longer commute, check out Burgaw, and Richlands. I knew lots of Marines who lived in Richlands. Also check out Hubert, which is just outside the other side of the base.

Gunsmithing I used Flatwoods when I needed work on my AR. Nothing bad to say about them, but if you're looking for open bays to run drills and 'Merica, there's nothing in Jacksonville.

Being a military town, there's a few places to shop for gear. One of the only things I miss was easy access to surplus and outdoors shopping. Saigon Sams (AKA Saigon Scams), Extreme Outfitters (tactical store and outdoors/camping store are right next to each other), and this one place called Operator's Warehouse (Tactical Assault Gear vendor) were decent places, and there's a bunch of other smaller thrift stores that can have some real gems.

Your wife is going to be sorely disappointed w/ Jacksonville's lack of shopping options. The mall sucks, don't bother. Just full of asshole Marines. I recommend going to Wilmington or Raleigh for better options.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

I'm one that lived in Richlands. I lived there and Maple Hill. Both were nice areas, but I would definitely suggest Maple Hill. It's a little secret. Everyone moves out to Richlands to get away, not a whole lot move south.

VQz5Nwz.png

#6 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I've been hearing a lot of the same locations to live. That's reassuring, makes it easier for my wife and I to find places to live. I spent a week out there at the school I'll now be teaching prior to deploying, so i've kinda of "seen" the area. But you don't learn an area very well in a week. And even though it's a huge change for a West Coast boy. I'm looking forward to trying out the Left Coast.

Might be trying a few gun schools. I did Academi for my deployment training, but i'm sure there are more around there to try out.

#7 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

So, been a few months since my last post on this.

We are living in Holly Ridge, a small little community off 17. Really not to bad, and as far as work. I thought Navy rules were bad... No offense to you Marines but you guys can F' the Fun out of a Coloring book!

Heading up to Croatan Forest for a shooting trip next weekend. I checked out and apparently it's legal. Just frowned upon lol. Haven't had time to check out gun shops yet... but I will.

Kinda chill out here, a lot of bugs... but oh well.

#8 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

We are living in Holly Ridge, a small little community off 17. Really not to bad, and as far as work. I thought Navy rules were bad... No offense to you Marines but you guys can F' the Fun out of a Coloring book!

Heading up to Croatan Forest for a shooting trip next weekend. I checked out and apparently it's legal. Just frowned upon lol. Haven't had time to check out gun shops yet... but I will.

Holly Ridge isn't too bad of an area. Especially for where you are working.

And yes, I know we can take the fun out of a coloring book. Because, well, it's the Marine Corps and there really isn't much of an explanation. One asshole after another made rules.

I figured Croatan would still be open for shooting. Last I had checked with the Game Warden, it's what he had said. They're just...wimps. I'll draw up some maps of where I shot at. Who knows, maybe you'll find some of my old 5.45 out there.

VQz5Nwz.png

#9 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Here's my quick map making skill (legit). Anyways, follow 17 north until you hit Maysville. You'll turn right on Highway 58 (should be at a light) and follow it down to 1105 (road). There may be a sign that says Catfish Lake. From there, it'll be unmarked for the most part. STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT. 35-40 mph, no faster. Both sides of the roads are usually lined with ditches, and they're usually full of water. I can't even recall how many guys flipped vehicles into them and drowned. If anyone asks why you're up there, tell them. Other wise law enforcement can report you to your unit and you can get into some deep shit if you don't have a reason to be there.

The room you have to fire will be about 30 yards or so. Not a whole lot, but enough for some M&F if it's what you're wanting. If you're feeling frisky, the road right beyond that gate is a good distance, you could probably set a target up 300+ yards away.

taJ7MLm.png

bsGJX3J.png

NDWNKTM.png

V8JpgOc.png

Edited by mangeface, 29 June 2014 - 08:06 PM.

VQz5Nwz.png

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

Check out guerrilla armament in jacksonville, and eastern outfitters which has stores near ellis airport and I think one in Wilmington. Both companies are legit, buy the guys at the gun counter at the Jacksonville eastern outfitters can get swamped sometimes. If you need tactical gear, extreme outfitters is pretty good too. You should have some good sales at guerrilla and extreme outfitters this weekend.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#11 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Here's my quick map making skill (legit). Anyways, follow 17 north until you hit Maysville. You'll turn right on Highway 58 (should be at a light) and follow it down to 1105 (road). There may be a sign that says Catfish Lake. From there, it'll be unmarked for the most part. STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT. 35-40 mph, no faster. Both sides of the roads are usually lined with ditches, and they're usually full of water. I can't even recall how many guys flipped vehicles into them and drowned. If anyone asks why you're up there, tell them. Other wise law enforcement can report you to your unit and you can get into some deep shit if you don't have a reason to be there.

The room you have to fire will be about 30 yards or so. Not a whole lot, but enough for some M&F if it's what you're wanting. If you're feeling frisky, the road right beyond that gate is a good distance, you could probably set a target up 300+ yards away.

Thanks! I'm figuring this out right now. I'm gunna try and get this to my buddy. this looks like a good set up!

#12 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

And when you say tell them why your're there? You mean, i'm going shooting right?

#13 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

And when you say tell them why your're there? You mean, i'm going shooting right?

Yeah, cause Catfish Lake Road (1105) runs from Maysville to New Bern and a lot of Marines used it to go from Camp Lejeune to Cherry Point. Now it's off limits to passage (by military order) unless you're out there for an activity (like shooting, camping or hunting).

VQz5Nwz.png

#14 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

#15 mlp2147

mlp2147

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just posting as another in the area.... lived in Holly Ridge since '08. Retired here this year.... 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users