15 replies to this topic

#1 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

A couple of months ago I bought the Arc'teryx Khard 30, and wanted to review it, but for the most part it only carries a handful of EDC items, my lunch, and a change of PT gear.  And it only does that over the short distance from my car to my desk.  So, I decided to risk life and limb and take it into one of the most unforgiving places in America....

The Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range

Attached File  000.jpg   80.68KB   16 downloads

Attached File  001.JPG   90.45KB   9 downloads

Attached File  002.JPG   90.43KB   6 downloads

Attached File  003.JPG   110.69KB   7 downloads

Attached File  004.JPG   118.84KB   6 downloads

Attached File  005 Intro.JPG   91.53KB   6 downloads

Disclaimer: Bombing ranges are dangerous, do not enter them without a trained professional for gear reviews or any other reason. You will die! And don't touch unexploded ordnance either, you will die twice for that!  All photos in this article were taken by me.

Unlike many other reviews, I'm not going to go through all of the technical features, nor will I bore you with rabbit-hole stories about where I got some nifty pouch and what I like to keep in it, or why I like brand X over brand Y.  This will be an in-depth yet down and dirty review.  The idea is to hopefully give you some relevant end-user information as to whether or not this pack is for you.

As mentioned above, I do carry this pack every day, mostly over very short distances without much in it.  Unlike most Prepper/EDC reviewers on the interwebs, I do not believe in keeping every possible piece of kit for every contingency in my pack at all times, JUST IN CASE.  That stuff is heavy.

My pack is not only for carrying the things I have on me, but the useful or interesting things that I may come across along the way.

Pack Design

First things first, the pack and what I carry most days. Are you really interested in my EDC? No! But, I'm going to show you anyway, so that you have a decent understanding of the capacity of the Khard 30.

On the exterior I keep an ITS Trauma Kit with SOF-T Wide Tourniquet. They are attached using a single Molle Stix stick through two accessory loops on the bottom of the pack, and some DIY cargo straps made from ITW G-Hooks and 3/4 inch webbing.  Also, the Arc'teryx comes with a shock cord matrix for even more cargo storage.

Attached File  006.JPG   98.8KB   21 downloads

The Khard 30 doesn't have a huge amount of interior cargo space, so these straps are really handy for strapping large bulky items (like the tail section of a TOW missile) to the outside of the pack. I used about 3 feet of webbing and 30 seconds of time per strap.

Attached File  007.JPG   78.33KB   14 downloads

Next, in the left side pocket I keep a spare mag, some stogies when appropriate, and a book full of handy, work related, quick reference info. This pocket and its twin on the right side are designed to hold a 3 liter hydration bladder each, so there's plenty of room, but hard bulky items will expand more toward the interior of the pack and eat up volume in there as well.

Attached File  008.JPG   118.64KB   15 downloads

The right side has a multi-tool, small tape measure, clear safety glasses, another tourniquet, and a Vortex SOLO R/T monocular (hat tip to SONCanEDC for bringing it to my attention) and a pouch for the monocular.

Attached File  009.JPG   96.61KB   14 downloads

In the top exterior pouch, is a small key fob light, Mio, Metalious Hand repair balm (also works as Chap Stick), a cheap knife, a small laminated map of the ranges and impact areas that I work in, and sometimes I even throw in a sewing kit.  Now, this top pouch is pretty large, and can fit a lot more stuff in it, but then it gets cluttered and heavy, so I try to keep it mostly empty.

Attached File  010.JPG   95.32KB   13 downloads

The interior top pouch is smaller (about the size of a paperback novel) and I mostly just keep admin items like spare pens and batteries.

Attached File  011.JPG   100.11KB   7 downloads

Now for the main compartment, which has Velcro loop on all 4 sides for being organized and attaching pouches. I'm not very organized, and those pouches cost extra. That being said it is incredibly nice to have the ability to reconfigure your pack in seconds based on mission requirements, and also to have things stay where you put them. In the Maxpedition pouch, I keep some spare cables for electronics, phone charger, and digital camera, etc.

Attached File  013.JPG   113.27KB   14 downloads

At the very bottom I keep a Shemagh, and a Boonie hat and work gloves. On top of the soft goods I keep a spool of rope and a 40oz Hydroflask. The Hydroflask is heavy, but having ice cold water all day in August more than makes up for it. On lower left of the pack, I keep my carry pistol with another spare mag. The ITS Holster Insert works wonderfully here, but with my environment and the way I use this pack, dirt can be problematic. Finally, there is a small lock pick set on the upper right side and the notebook slides in behind it all. And there's still plenty of room to spare.

Attached File  014.JPG   116.28KB   16 downloads

One of the great things about this pack is its accessibility. If I want my hat, I just run one of the zippers all the way down the side to the bottom, and BAM! I can grab what I want with virtually no digging or fumbling. Likewise, when I want to access to the pistol, I don't have to unpack a bunch of gear that may be in the way. (Note: The pistol is only kept in the pack for transport/storage, not defensive use)

There are also some excellent grab handles on the top and either side of the pack exterior. The handles aren't easily blocked and remain useful should you choose to strap a rifle to the side of the pack.

Attached File  015.JPG   89.95KB   11 downloads

Attached File  016.JPG   98.53KB   10 downloads

Real World Use

My first test of this pack was a relatively short walk on a sunny day in the low 90's over flat terrain in soft sand. In addition to my normal items, I had to toss in half a satchel of C-4 (10 lbs). C-4 is pretty dense stuff, so it's was somewhat akin to throwing in a 10-lb brick for no good reason. All in all, the pack handled it like a champ, the pack stayed nice and close to my back the whole time. The down side is that it holds to your body so well that you end up with a swampy back.

Attached File  017.JPG   147.96KB   19 downloads

The next test of its load bearing abilities was a bit more taxing. In the course sweeping the range, my friends and I found an old 2000-lb bunker buster bomb about 3/4 of a mile out in the hills beyond the target area. After doing some research and making sure the thing was a live bomb and not a concrete filled practice job, we decided to blow it up. So the next day, I threw in a 15-lb shaped charge and away we went to send the bunker buster to Valhalla. The following day we decided to go check out the crater and recover a couple of souvenirs.

In the picture above you'll see 50 lbs worth of razor sharp fragments of shattered steel each at about 2 feet long. Imagine those being red hot and ripping through you at several thousand feet per second.

Anyway, I only carried the frag about 3/4 of a mile, but the terrain consisted of many steep hills and loose rock.  The pack managed the weight very well, keeping the load vertical and very close to the body. After getting to the truck and snapping that picture, I realized that it probably would've been even better had I used the hip belt, but I wasn't about to haul everything back just to tell you about it.

Final Notes

Attached File  018.JPG   99.84KB   16 downloads

First, if you have to carry heavy razor sharp objects the best pack to use is someone else's. That being said the Khard 30 did a fantastic job, but my notebook didn’t fare so well. With just about any other pack you would have to carefully try to steer each jagged edge down through the pack, with a high probability of making a few holes in the process. With the Khard 30 all you have to do is open it all the way up, lay your hazardous cargo down, and zip it all up again. 

Second, this pack makes for a good pillow in the field if you lay a fleece between it and your head. Also, I used it like a dump pouch on several occasions, by zipping open the top flap and tucking it under the exterior shock-cord you can just start tossing goodies over your shoulder and into your pack. The top access is also great for food, as you can access it easily without worrying about stuff squishing your snacks.

Third, I hope that I some of you reading this will see how useful a partly empty pack is and quit stressing the seams on your EDC packs. Perhaps you will take out your 3rd medical kit, or your 12th fixed blade knife and a few of your 15 AR mags. Maybe you'll realize that you've never once used the sleeping bag you've been carrying daily for 6 years.

In all seriousness, the Khard 30 is an outstanding day pack, and is big enough to be a useful during multi-day operations (if you pack light and utilize the exterior cargo loops).  And while I wouldn't classify it as a Hard Use pack, it can certainly be used hard.  The current going price is around $360 but I would hold out until you can find it on sale for less (I snagged mine for $265 at Tactical Distributors).

The following photos are simply your reward for reading this whole review, and don’t have anything to do with the pack.

Attached File  019.JPG   70.91KB   12 downloads

Attached File  020.jpg   80.25KB   9 downloads

Attached File  021.JPG   215.37KB   8 downloads

Attached File  022.JPG   98.5KB   12 downloads

Pervert

• Davis and Peter.C like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

1. Good review, pretty fun way of doing it.

2. Cool guys never watch explosions.

I loved it, I really want one of those packs now... thanks..

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Great review spence. And to go with D, now I want one also.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Was a great review.

And like all Arc'Teryx stuff its a nice pack.

I still like the weight distribution on my HalfTrack but its all preference when it comes to a pack there really is no wrong answer as long as it fits you well and you wear it well over distance.

Posted Image

#5 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Awesome review. I'm pretty sure you could send this to Arc'teryx and get a free or at least severely discounted pack.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Awesome review...

89BccLb.png

#7 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

I'll take free arc'teryx gear any day of the week. Now I've gotta figure out who to beg.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

Nice review, just a couple questions:

1) Was this at the range you did with my friend henry?

2) how big is it compared to the new tan day pack that we're issued?

Thanks dude.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#9 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Henry and I were down at a different range, which has a pretty elaborate city made of various shipping containers. Anyway, according to the information I could dig up, the Khard 30 (~1830cu in) is a bit larger than the old Marpat assault pack (~1500cu in), but smaller than the new coyote brown Assault pack (~2350 cu in without assault pouch). That being said I think the Khard is much more functional than either issued pack, and if you need more space the Khard comes in a 45 liter flavor (~2746cu in). I've never been fond of the older marpat bag, it was just too small and not very useful for me. The new brown pack is actually a pretty good day pack, but things would get disorganized and lost in the bottom.

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

Gtg, thanks. I do like the asymmetric main zipper on the new day pack. It's not as nice as the system on the khard, but a big improvement over the previous "backpack-style" day packs from the days of molle II and the ilbe. Makes it a lot easier to stuff a full set of cammies amd boots in the main pouch with whatever other small gear in the other pouches. If im ever able to justify spending ~$300 on a pack that size, I'll definitely pick one up.

#11 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

It wasn't an easy sell for me either, luckily my wife knew I had been looking for a new pack for a long time. That, and I just had a travel claim go through that covered the cost.

#12 Bodstrup

Bodstrup

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Allow me to add a few thoughts.

I have the Khard 45 - and I find it is small ! I used to carry a Lowa patrol bag with a 90 liter main compartment and two 15 liter side pockets for a total of 120 liters. Now I am trying to get used to 45 liters + external storage for short 1-2 day field exercises or perhaps a slightly longer deployment on a ship.

An internal sleeping bag like my Mountain Equipment Military TDS 1 will occupy about 1/3 of the pack volume, so I am going to mount that externally below the main bag.

The harness and hip belt is working very well for me. I did a short 5 mile fast hike with 45 pounds in the pack. The first mile or so was a bit uncomfortable, getting used to the system, but after that, I did not feel the weight any more and was able to move without any discomfort at all.

The pack is NOT waterproof. It was raining constantly with a fine misty rain, and the inside of the bag and some of the content was damp when I got home. Semi waterproof pouches for electronics or spare clothes is a must.

I love the modular design, adding a JetBoil cooker to the pack is as easy as slapping it on the side panel, making the velcro stick.

The shoulder strap adjustment with pull cords for releasing tension is brilliant, much better than having to twist a tight buckle.

As everyone else, I love the many access points. Getting hold of your stuff in a small tent or bivy is easy compared to digging into a 90 liter top loading pack.

#13 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Awesome review man! I have a whole slew of packs and bags but for EDC stuff I stick with a small Maxpedition man purse I mean messenger bag because it forces me only to carry things that help me out on a day to day basis not the omg shtf sorta stuff which stays in a bag in my truck in the event I ever needed it but I have no intention of carrying it everywhere with me.  

On a side note we had some 'fun' UXO experiences we had a helo land out at san clemente island on a SAR case (boat had sunk and guys were stranded on the beach) and my buddy who was in the door at the time looks out as they land and sees the right main on the 60 sitting on a 40mm.  Needless to say they pulled up as fast and as high as they could and found a...safer landing spot.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#14 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, I hear you on carrying a smaller pack to force you to stick to the basics/true needs. I was carrying a very slim med pack for a while, but it just wasn't enough for me. However, from that I developed the discipline not to fill the pack just because I had the space to do so, and now I think I have found the ideal pack for me.

Anyway, good spot on that 40mm, those little buggers can be wicked sensitive.

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

Fyi fpr all those interested, skd will be doing 15% off the entire site tomorrow and they have khards in mc and crocodile. I think that works out to right around $300 or so for the bag.

#16 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:17 AM

I think you've been the victim of autocorrect.

89BccLb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users