9 replies to this topic

#1 hunter_75

hunter_75

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Alright, here's the situation:  I need help with tactics/ routes getting from the Tacoma region to the Bellingham region in a bug out situation.  I understand that these two areas are not ideal but the situation is what it is.  I have stored goods up in the Bellingham region where my SHTF partner lives.  We have a secondary bug out location on the east side of the state.  My modes of available transportation are: Kayaks, Road bikes with trailers, our feet (we are both in very good physical condition), a Subaru Outback, and an 88 diesel F250.  Possible routes are straight up I-5 through the Seattle Metropolitan area (about 200 miles), going east over the mountains then north then west back over the mountains (about 600 miles), or kayak up the Sound then hike to his house (about 200 miles).  Again, I understand that these are not ideal chances for surviving but I cannot change my current living situation at the moment and need to plan accordingly.  

Any advise (besides moving out to the country) would be helpful.  Thanks!

#2 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

I dont know the area up there but look for railroad tracks and power lines.  Both will have service roads, and while they maybe out of the way, the roads should be passable in a stock 4x4 and provide access out.  

• Davis likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#3 hunter_75

hunter_75

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thanks DirtyTrigger, I'll look into getting maps that show powerline routes and figure out where I can implement them into my intended destination.  I used to wheel on the power lines growing up so am pretty comfortable doing so.  Forgot about that though, thanks!  

#4 Greg Barney

Greg Barney

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

You could shoot east and look for forest service road in the foothills and mountains on the west side.  You could find ones that connect to get around the major populated areas.  It would take longer, but it would be safer and provide more cover.  I personally would not go up I-5 because of traffic and I dont think you would get far taking the passes either.  Kayaking is definatly an option, but you would be totally exposed and vulnerable.

Posted Image

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

How much gear do you want to take with you? A boat does sorta seem like a decent possible option as you can get off the main traffic route although I would avoid the kayak due to speed.  Other then that like the other guys said find back woods ways to go and avoid the main roads.  Also consider the likely events that might necessitate a bugout.  A major eruption from say rainier (long said to be overdue as I recall)  would be one that would also likely make transportation over the mountains difficult.  The other likely situation being something like a tsunami perhaps?

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I highly recommend Delorme's Washington Atlas & Gazateer. It has detailed maps of forest service roads. There's enough connecting roads to get you up north. I've run most of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route and it'll get you upstate with little civilized interaction. If you plan to go by water, I'd definitely want a motorized boat. That's a long way to go by hand. Plus you'd have the option to drop anchor and sleep a spell.

#7 hunter_75

hunter_75

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the great feedback guys.  

AaronK, I'll take a look at picking up Delorme's as that could be a great resource.  Don't have a motorized boat yet but that may come into play later on down the road.  I am a former Marine so my feet are more comfortable on the ground than in the water, but as we all know, you must adapt and be ready for different situations.  

B3dlam, I have out typical bug-out bags and get-home bags but the tricky part about going by water would be protecting our weapons from salt corrosion.  We have some dry bags but not any large enough to fit an AR in, even when broken down.   

As for the passes, I don't like the idea of taking them either because the ones I would want to take are usually closed 3-4 months out of the year.  The others, I suspect, would be so clogged from people going east that it would not be ideal.  

Anyways, great discussion!  Since this area is more or less a large metropolitan area for over a hundred miles north/south, it makes it quite a difficult thought experiment.  

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the great feedback guys.  

AaronK, I'll take a look at picking up Delorme's as that could be a great resource.  Don't have a motorized boat yet but that may come into play later on down the road.  I am a former Marine so my feet are more comfortable on the ground than in the water, but as we all know, you must adapt and be ready for different situations.  

B3dlam, I have out typical bug-out bags and get-home bags but the tricky part about going by water would be protecting our weapons from salt corrosion.  We have some dry bags but not any large enough to fit an AR in, even when broken down.   

As for the passes, I don't like the idea of taking them either because the ones I would want to take are usually closed 3-4 months out of the year.  The others, I suspect, would be so clogged from people going east that it would not be ideal.  

Anyways, great discussion!  Since this area is more or less a large metropolitan area for over a hundred miles north/south, it makes it quite a difficult thought experiment.  

You should just be able to keep your gear well oiled it will hold up fine for a few days.  They do also make some firearm specific dry bags that are relatively cheap.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#9 Jamison Wells

Jamison Wells

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

If you back road, make sure you check your route often. Or have multiple options, planned along the route. I've been up on some of those trials and I've seen some pretty hefty road blockages. It would be a shame to get up there and have to abandon a vehicle. 

Stay away from the freeways, your axis of travel runs right through Seattle and/or the Eastside. That area is Crap to try to get through there on a good day.

#10 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Just get one of these
http://gibbsamphitrucks.com/humdinga
  • mangeface and Davis like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shtf, bug out, tactical, bugging out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users