38 replies to this topic

#1 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hey guys I need a real good pair of boots for everyday work.

I'm on my feet a lot and am super HARD on boot.

I go through a pair every 6 months or less. I am a farmer and diesel mechanic, so you get the idea of what my boot go through. The last pair of red wings only lasted me 5 1/2 months til the soles seperated from the boot;.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

I've heard that Danner boots have a good reputation but don't have any personal experience with them yet. They do offer a number of boots that are made in the U.S. if that is important to you.

#3 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

http://www.extremeou...armntt4gtx.aspx

Given the choice, I'd go back to Afghan wearing those boots.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

I saw this topic and was ready to talk shit about service members that hadn't deployed. Oh the let downs in life. :(

Danner's are very good. But very pricey.

For the type of work you do, which is kind of similar to what I do (mechanic), Bates are good and fairly priced (about 1/3 of Danners). The soles are sewn to the boot, so they should last a good deal longer.

While I was in the Marines working on aircraft, my boots probably lasted about 6 months, but only on the account the leather across the steel toe wore out which made them unserviceable. The soles still had a good deal of tread left and very few seams were worn out

Edited by mangeface, 30 April 2014 - 03:57 PM.

• Jersey0311 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

When I was working in the field as a welder for years and years, I would buy cheap boots and put prescription orthotics in them. The boots would last a few months, but the orthotics lasted about 8 years from one pair to the next. It was easier than finding good boots that would last.

#6 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Spend the money, buy Danners, I personally stick with their made in America boots which you can note by the stitched down soles vs. glued or welded on soles. They are expensive, but well worth the price in my opinion. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#7 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm on my feet and on and off a stand up forklift 45 to 60 hours a week and I swear by Dr Martin's ironbridge boots. However I own a 10 year old pair of Danner frontier boots. They of course are mu hunting boots but I can tell you they are by far the best I've had. They been through hell in swamps ridges and whatever Michigan and Kentucky can throw at it

#8 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Thanks so much for the replies.

I'll be getting a pair of Bates for now and save up for some Danners.

I was looking at the Bates already and was happy to see them come up in the replies.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#9 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Not sure what type of boots you're allowed to wear, but I'm personally a fan of Ariat Boots. i've got a pair of the 8" cascade that i wear and i love them

http://www.ariat.com...ED_BARK#start=1

10002418_3-4_front.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Thanks so much for the replies.

I'll be getting a pair of Bates for now and save up for some Danners.

I was looking at the Bates already and was happy to see them come up in the replies.

I have never had good luck with bates they don't tend to last me that long at all (which is a shame as they sell them at most of our base exchanges)  I have had really good luck with my belleville boots (got 3 years out of my last pair with nearly daily wear).  They are still wearable but they have a split in the sole at the ball of my feet where they flex.  I just ordered a set of their Sabre 333 assualt boots for competition shooting and other tacti-cool uses.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#11 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

I have never had good luck with bates they don't tend to last me that long at all (which is a shame as they sell them at most of our base exchanges)  I have had really good luck with my belleville boots (got 3 years out of my last pair with nearly daily wear).  They are still wearable but they have a split in the sole at the ball of my feet where they flex.  I just ordered a set of their Sabre 333 assualt boots for competition shooting and other tacti-cool uses.

Ah shame on me!

It wasn't Bates we were issued, it was Belleville.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#12 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Belleville boots are the bomb... They have half sizes for those of us with feet, not-standard issue. Being a 12.5 in most shoes and boots, I am just above the cutoff for most peoples half sizes and there is nothing like a boot thats too big or too small to start a blister farm.

89BccLb.png

#13 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, Ariat's never really fit my feet all that well. I will say the sole is very comfortable though.

So Belleville huh..... I'll look into those maybe get those after the Bate's wears out, which I'm guessing will be soon.

I really appreciate all the input guys

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#14 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, Ariat's never really fit my feet all that well. I will say the sole is very comfortable though.

So Belleville huh..... I'll look into those maybe get those after the Bate's wears out, which I'm guessing will be soon.

I really appreciate all the input guys

You shouldnt be disapointed with belleville

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#15 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

cool thanks

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hey guys I need a real good pair of boots for everyday work.

I'm on my feet a lot and am super HARD on boot.

I go through a pair every 6 months or less. I am a farmer and diesel mechanic, so you get the idea of what my boot go through. The last pair of red wings only lasted me 5 1/2 months til the soles seperated from the boot;.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you taken back your RedWings to them? Lifetime warranty is rockin mine.  I've got a decade old daily wear pair that is currently being re-stitched, I got in for the free oil-ings on all of mine and free laces for life too. You have to pay when you re-sole them but that's a wear item like break pads so no biggie there.

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#17 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Yeah they told me that being as I wear them around cattle the manure voids the warranty.

I wouldn't mind if they'd last for even a year, but like I said I'm real hard on boots

Thanks though

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#18 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yeah they told me that being as I wear them around cattle the manure voids the warranty.

Sounds like crap to me...

Sorry, I just had to :D Still, it's good to know what might void a warranty; I wonder if other boot manufacturers have similar policies relating to farm-based factors.

• LongHaul and DieselD like this

#19 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Sounds like crap to me...

Sorry, I just had to :D Still, it's good to know what might void a warranty; I wonder if other boot manufacturers have similar policies relating to farm-based factors.

Definitely sounds like crap. I expect my boots to hold together no matter how many "farm-based factors" I step in!

rofl

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#20 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Yeah it is funny, but their reasoning is the acid in the manure is more than the stitching and leather are made to hold up to.

Well just got to mind where ya step ya know

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users