#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Team,

I change vehicles pretty often. Between moving between my daily driver and my truck, to a shop truck when I'm hauling gear for my companies shows and demos, or a rental, I'm probably in at least two different vehicles a week. i got tired of moving the stuff I like to have in my vehicles when i travel over and over so i put together a pouch with the stuff i like. Over time it's grown and I had to move it out of the pouch i had it in to a small EDC sling type bag. This isn't necessarily EDC, nor is it bug out material, but it has a little bit of both. below is the before and after of this kit.

2014-05-08%2000.18.42.jpg

Car Bag in it's original pouch, a Maxpedition F.A.K.-1 with flashlight in the "Torch Lair"

2014-05-08%2000.21.57.jpg

Original Kit Contents From Bottom Left

BC Headache Powder

Aleve Tablets

Survival Guide from my Bear Grylls Scout Knife

note Book

Wet ones wipes

small DC to AC power inverter

matches in waterproof case

Resolve Multitool - (4" locking knife, #1 and #2 Phillips, 3/16" and 1/4" Flat Screwdriver, 3/16" hex wrench, 1/4" socket driver, scratch-awl, bottle opener, 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm sockets.)

Pen

PowerRox Portable Battery

ITS Mini Survival Kit

Schrade MultiTool

Appalachian Trail Pocket Knife

Small Jewer's Screwdriver With Multiple Tips

Pelican M6 LED Flashlight

Not Shown

Small Roll of Duct Tape

Zip Ties

There were a couple of things I discovered over time i needed. One was Para Cord. The next was some One Wrap.

for those of you not familar with one wrap, it's a strip of velcro with hook on one side and loop on the other. Once you wrap it one time around something it sticks to itself. I can fix almost anything with Duct Tape, Zip Ties, and One Wrap.

I also needed to upgrade my knife. The Appalachian Tool knife was part of a gift set i received a while ago and did its job, but based on the Kershaw love on this board I updated to a Speed Safe Brawler. I'll do a separate review on the Brawler in another post.

I also added a cheap disposable BlueTooth Headset

2014-05-08%2000.23.29.jpg

Kit Additions

The new bag i picked for my car bag was a Maxpedition Fatboy G.T.G.

2014-05-08%2000.25.01.jpg

Maxpedition FatBoy G.T.G.

i picked the FatBoy because i thought it could hold all my kit while giving me some room for growth and let me sling it if i need to carry it.

The first thing that surprised me about the G.T.G. was how relatively small it was. Out of the box I was really worried that it wouldn't have any more room than the F.A.C.-1. Once I started loading it I saw I was very wrong. It had plenty of room for my kit with room to spare.

2014-05-08%2000.26.24.jpg

Pen, Screwdriver, and Schrade tool in the front zipper pouch

2014-05-08%2000.26.49.jpg

Kershaw Brawler and BlueTooth Headset in front pocket under flap

2014-05-08%2000.27.18.jpg

Flashlight in side pocket

2014-05-08%2000.28.51.jpg

Rest of the kit in the main pocket

2014-05-08%2000.28.42.jpg

Kit loaded and ready to go

I still have a couple of things I'd like to add. First is the ITS BooBoo Kit. it's just nice to have a small snivel kit on me when I travel and I don't always have my bigger snivel kit with me.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

La'

On Edit: The Kershaw is a 1990 Brawler, not Barrage.

Edited by redsol1, 19 May 2014 - 09:25 AM.

• mangeface, DieselD, ilart11 and 4 others like this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

That's a nice little kit, my dude. Seems like the quintessential material any preparedness-oriented person would require for work-related travel. A man can never have enough ass-wipe though. I would add another pack of Wet Ones along with a small bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Maybe a space blanket in case one of your vehicles breaks down and you need to drape it against a window for sunlight reflection or if you have to cover a body after witnessing a possible fatal vc. A cheap toothbrush with a travel size tube of toothpaste. Can't have your breath smelling like last night's chow while talking to broads. Chapstick too.

• redsol1, ilart11, mandyhi16 and 3 others like this

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I would also look at a more in depth first aid kit. A tourniquet pressure dressings and such maybe tailored specifically for car crashes as it sounds like you spend a lot of time on the road having the items to help would be a good idea.
  • redsol1, ilart11, timhf16 and 1 other like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

BCV and B3dlam,

good suggestions all around. i had played with the idea of a space blanket, but wasn't sure on the utility of it. Your suggestions sold me. I'm also thinking of adding a visor marker panel in case i need vehicle identification in the case of an accident or other emergency.

My only reason for not including a TQ or other blow out first aid item is that i don't have the necessary training to properly administer it, but DWDoc's suggestion of having it in case it's needed and someone is on site who IS trained is starting to resonate with me.

Again, thanks all around.

La'

• B3dlam likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

BCV and B3dlam,

good suggestions all around. i had played with the idea of a space blanket, but wasn't sure on the utility of it. Your suggestions sold me. I'm also thinking of adding a visor marker panel in case i need vehicle identification in the case of an accident or other emergency.

My only reason for not including a TQ or other blow out first aid item is that i don't have the necessary training to properly administer it, but DWDoc's suggestion of having it in case it's needed and someone is on site who IS trained is starting to resonate with me.

Again, thanks all around.

La'

I would say with the exception of the decompression needle and the nasal pharyngeal airway there isn't a lot of training required. Plug hole stop bleeding you can find a couple of quick videos online on using a pressure dressing they are pretty simple to use as are tourniquets. If you happen upon a car crash and don't have one where a tourniquet is needed for instance using it wrong might cause an issue but not stopping the bleeding is far more likely to result in death.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Redsol thanks, your post has inspired me. I had a 5.11 Rush Moab 12 laying around my garage with no purpose, and now it has been given new life. and I'm a bit more prepared.

• Jersey0311 and redsol1 like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#7 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Redsol thanks, your post has inspired me. I had a 5.11 Rush Moab 12 laying around my garage with no purpose, and now it has been given new life. and I'm a bit more prepared.

WOW! Thanks Spence!

La'

Posted Image

#8 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Pics or it didn't happen! (new thread?)

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#9 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

I shake my fist at you Jersey!

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow....

:beer:

• Jersey0311 likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#10 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

BCV and B3dlam,

good suggestions all around. i had played with the idea of a space blanket, but wasn't sure on the utility of it. Your suggestions sold me.

My only reason for not including a TQ or other blow out first aid item is that i don't have the necessary training to properly administer it

I'm glad I could help. Also, I think you can obtain free first aid training including tourniquet applications through FEMA's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) instructional and certification program. I went ahead and used your forum location as my terrestrial center point with positive results. 

Here are the links:

http://www.citizenco...?id=43251&cert=

http://www.citizenco...cil.do?id=43193

Edited by Beaucoup VC, 19 May 2014 - 09:42 PM.

• redsol1 likes this

#11 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

Nice! I like the not quite a BOB, not quite an EDC approach. I have something similar that I take with me 90% of the time in the vehicle, and to work every day. Not a lot of survival based goodies, and not a lot of daily items either. Good thread!
  • redsol1 likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#12 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'm glad I could help. Also, I think you can obtain free first aid training including tourniquet applications through FEMA's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) instructional and certification program. I went ahead and used your forum location as my terrestrial center point with positive results. 

Here are the links:

http://www.citizenco...?id=43251&cert=

http://www.citizenco...cil.do?id=43193

Holly Schnikie! Thanks BCV! that's perfect. i was looking to take some of the early paramedic/emergency responder classes, but this looks like it's right in line with what I'm looking for, and it's right in my back yard.

La'

Posted Image

#13 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Nice! I like the not quite a BOB, not quite an EDC approach. I have something similar that I take with me 90% of the time in the vehicle, and to work every day. Not a lot of survival based goodies, and not a lot of daily items either. Good thread!

Thank you sir! So...what's in your bag?

La'

Posted Image

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Thank you sir! So...what's in your bag?

La'

Am I the only one that heard this in the same style as the "What's in your wallet?" Capital One ads?

• PsychoFish and Davis like this

89BccLb.png

#15 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Ok here's my set up. I need to pick up some more baby wipes, AA batteries, and I'll probably whip up a small dopp kit. I might throw in a different multi tool (Redsol's Resolve one looks pretty dang handy).

The bag:

Attached File  P5200003.JPG   180.11KB   2 downloads

A whipped up med kit:

Attached File  P5200004.JPG   168.57KB   0 downloads

Water w/ canteen cup:

Attached File  P5200005.JPG   160.01KB   0 downloads

Multi-tool w/ AA flashlight:

Attached File  P5200006.JPG   182.29KB   0 downloads

Hand Sanitizer, Pen, Electrical Tape, J-Knife, Free Knife:

Attached File  P5200008.JPG   170.54KB   0 downloads

Pack Interior:

Attached File  P5200009.JPG   165.47KB   0 downloads

Shemagh, Socks, USMC Gardening hat, Carabiners webbing loop, water, 550 cord, ITS branded Water Pouch, super-spork, gloves, notebook:

Attached File  P5200010.JPG   163.26KB   0 downloads

Communications field guide, AA powered GPS, Road Flares, AM/FM/SW Radio, Monocular, Survival tin, Bandages, Glowbelt:

Attached File  P5200011.JPG   143.37KB   0 downloads

Talkabouts also go in the main compartment:

Attached File  P5200013.JPG   131.36KB   3 downloads

Dump/Foraging Pouch:

Attached File  P5200014.JPG   139.71KB   0 downloads

With these photos, I would like to humbly add that Jersey can EAT A DICK!  O_O LOL

• PsychoFish, mangeface, Davis and 2 others like this

#16 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Ok here's my set up. I need to pick up some more baby wipes, AA batteries, and I'll probably whip up a small dopp kit. I might throw in a different multi tool (Redsol's Resolve one looks pretty dang handy).

With these photos, I would like to humbly add that Jersey can EAT A DICK!  O_O LOL

Nice bag Spence. That's a lot more comprehensive than mine.

That Re:solve tool has been VERY handy. I've changed the thermostat on my truck with it and replaced the starter on my van with it (and a couple of other tools). I think it costs less than $20 at Lowes, so you really can't go wrong.

And on that last bit.......WOW, shit just got real!

La'

Edited by redsol1, 20 May 2014 - 07:15 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

attachicon.gifP5200013.JPG

Ok, Spence. I'll be your best friend. It is a crime against humanity to not have a buddy to give the second walkie to. Don't you worry one bit, my dude. 

• spenceman and mangeface like this

#18 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

The bag:

attachicon.gifP5200003.JPG

A whipped up med kit:

attachicon.gifP5200004.JPG

Water w/ canteen cup:

attachicon.gifP5200005.JPG

Multi-tool w/ AA flashlight:

attachicon.gifP5200006.JPG

Hand Sanitizer, Pen, Electrical Tape, J-Knife, Free Knife:

attachicon.gifP5200008.JPG

Pack Interior:

attachicon.gifP5200009.JPG

Shemagh, Socks, USMC Gardening hat, Carabiners webbing loop, water, 550 cord, ITS branded Water Pouch, super-spork, gloves, notebook:

attachicon.gifP5200010.JPG

Communications field guide, AA powered GPS, Road Flares, AM/FM/SW Radio, Monocular, Survival tin, Bandages, Glowbelt:

attachicon.gifP5200011.JPG

attachicon.gifP5200013.JPG

Dump/Foraging Pouch:

attachicon.gifP5200014.JPG

Game on spenceman. Game on.

• spenceman and mangeface like this

TBL-2.png

#19 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

Redsol1, apologies for hijacking the shit out of your thread. No fucks were given nor were any prisoners taken during the hijacking.

I'm left with no choice but to show one of the bags I have in my truck at all times. There are actually 6 plus the underseat storage, but I don't want to make spenceman feel too bad. I do have a little bag that rides w/ me in the ambulance at all times as well, but I don't have any pictures of that set up just yet. After this post I'll snag some pics, just to rub spenceman's nose in the dirt.

This particular bag I have set up as a GHB

IMG_0890.jpg

Redundancy is the name of the game here

IMG_0891.jpg

Admin pouch contents

IMG_0893.jpg

Because 'Merica, that's why

IMG_0894.jpg

I swear everyone has the same glow belt (plus the usual suspects)

IMG_0895.jpg

IFAK

IMG_0896.jpg

Survival stuff

IMG_0899.jpg

The inside

IMG_0900.jpg

spenceman I sense a copycat thing you have going on with my set up. It's ok though because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

IMG_0901.jpg

And more stuff

IMG_0902.jpg

To be continued

TBL-2.png

#20 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yes, that is a full size pack of ass wipe. Because swamp ass is no joke. Neither is monkey butt. I don't do this travel sized BS. Go big or go home.

IMG_0903.jpg

More of the usual suspects, including the always in style "grunt roll"

IMG_0904.jpg

And some more classic items

IMG_0906.jpg

spenceman can go fist himself repeatedly while humming the song Gangnam Style in front of a picture of Joe Biden

• spenceman, mangeface, Davis and 4 others like this

TBL-2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users