51 replies to this topic

#41 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

All my smart-assedness aside, I agree that this post brings into perspective a lot of the simplest things that we may overlook in our kit. The commercial water key is genius, and I wouldn't have ever even fathomed it. I've always had a smashed roll of TP for both ma'butt and kindling in addition to a small can of MonkeyButt, but never thought of the ass wipes. 

Davis, I'll have to meet up with you guys for a class because that patch is the beez-nuts.

Edited by Millertime1103, 22 May 2014 - 09:55 AM.

• Davis likes this
-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#42 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

All my smart-assedness aside, I agree that this post brings into perspective a lot of the simplest things that we may overlook in our kit. The commercial water key is genius, and I wouldn't have ever even fathomed it. I've always had a smashed roll of TP for both ma'butt and kindling in addition to a small can of MonkeyButt, but never thought of the ass wipes. 

Davis, I'll have to meet up with you guys for a class because that patch is the beez-nuts.

The new GFT patch will be out at the end of this month and it is really cool. As soon as I get it I will start rocking that one, but I'm sure if you came out for a class we could get Dirty to dig up one of the originals as well. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#43 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'll post pics of my setup when I get a break, but every time I try to unpack it today someone calls me and I am off again. I really don't have a dedicated car bag, but I do IT consulting and digital services work and always have my laptop with me... so over time my laptop bag seems to have been slowly evolving into a bit of a get home/car/work kit.

Incase its a while before I get a chance to unload it: 

Bag: Swissgear Ibex Backpack

Computer: Retina Mac Book Pro and iPad

Primary Accessories pouch: Various cables and adapters necessary for the pesky day job, power brick for mac, HDMI cable.

Main pouch: Day dependent, usually a meal bar or 2 and some other random bits of kit.

Admin Pouch: Parker Jotter with Fisher Space Pen Ink, Mechanical Pencil, Wiha Precision screwdriver roll, multitool, electricians shears (These are the bomb, you can cut damn near anything short of heavy gauge wire), write in the rain notebooks. 

I am working on getting a dedicated bag set up, but I am having trouble picking the pack on which to base it. Thats why I am following this thread with interest. I have a lot of survival supplies in the trunks of both my vehicles but they are usually just in a rubbermaid bin, trying to convert over to something I can haul if need be. 

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 22 May 2014 - 01:20 PM.

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#44 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

I work on a scalable philosophy, so basically the further I am going to be from home, the more I add to the back of my truck. 

Internet gold right here. I'm the same way, and people should take note of that, as it makes plenty of sense.

I carry the same shit all the time because with multiple jobs, I'm all over the state, and soon hopefully out of state as far as commuting goes. I've got extra food/water in the other bags, and room in the GHB posted earlier to stuff all the extra items in, just in case I really do need to hoof it home via the shoe leather express.

• mangeface, Davis and DieselD like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#45 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Internet gold right here. I'm the same way, and people should take note of that, as it makes plenty of sense

That's no lie. You should've seen all the stuff he brought with him when he came to Oklahoma for 2 days. You would've thought he was moving here.
  • Davis and Jersey0311 like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#46 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

I think my wife thinks I am the same, I read her this thread and her reply to the comment in question was simple: "Oh, so like you pack when we go out of town?"

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#47 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

That's no lie. You should've seen all the stuff he brought with him when he came to Oklahoma for 2 days. You would've thought he was moving here.

Gotta practice what I preach.

This mostly involved carefully packed cases of beer and a cooler dedicated to having ice cold beers ready upon arrival in the new area of operations. Everything else was just snivel gear.

• mangeface, Davis and DeathwatchDoc like this

TBL-2.png

#48 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Top-notch thread hijack, boys :-P
  • PsychoFish likes this

#49 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Just want to say thanks!

I've got a whole new perspective on things I should have with me in my bag.

And some good laughs too

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#50 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Top-notch thread hijack, boys :-P

Haha, true story. I've noticed just about every thread on this forum ends up off the original topic.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#51 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Often times they evolve into something amazing and then quietly die off as everyone has spoken their mind. 

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 22 May 2014 - 07:03 PM.

• mangeface and Jersey0311 like this

89BccLb.png

#52 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

Standby to receive, an update is due. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned that I have a bag that travels with me to work (one of two), so pictures will be uploaded soon.

If I remember, when I get home I'll upload pics of my other bag that I use when I bring a laptop to work.

EDIT: So I got conned into picking up a few extra hours at one of my cushy jobs, and I took the opportunity to snap a few pics. Mostly updates to bags I've got in there already, and updated pics of my two more streamlined med bags.

Edited by Jersey0311, 27 July 2014 - 01:44 PM.

TBL-2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users