• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Alright, after reading the recent car bag thread, I am ready to have a dedicated car bag to contain all the things I already carry in the back of my vehicles in a much more man portable fashion. I have decided on the 5.11 Rush 24, but I want to see if there is some other bag I am overlooking out there. I know opinions on 5.11 are divided, so if anyone has constructive criticism of my choice, go for it. I have not yet pushed the purchase button.

89BccLb.png

#2 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

http://www.lapoliceg...-backpack1.html

Personally as a cheap SOB this is what I would go for. I have one or two of these bags floating around and they are still running strong after much abuse. They have tons of space and molle to attach anything else you could need.

#3 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

London Bridge Trading is having their annual Memorial Day Sale this weekend. They have their 3 day assault pack for $99.00. A buddy of mine picked one up last year and it is one Hell of a bag. Might fit the bill for you.

http://lbtinc.com/md14.html

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#4 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

I have a 24. Single best feature I like it about is that it opens up completely and you can dig through it like a trunk. Even open it up and work out of it, Vs the style where the top opens and you have to dig down through it. Handy as you don't need to unload the whole bag to the item you need out when it's on the bottom.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'm totally sold on the Vertx Gamut (or Gamut Plus... still can't decide).

A wee bit more than the LBT bags that I also like but more civilized.

• DeathwatchDoc likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

I'm totally sold on the Vertx Gamut (or Gamut Plus... still can't decide).

A wee bit more than the LBT bags that I also like but more civilized.

If I needed a new laptop bag... this would SOOO be it. I love that, thanks for the tip man!

89BccLb.png

#7 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Alright, after reading the recent car bag thread, I am ready to have a dedicated car bag to contain all the things I already carry in the back of my vehicles in a much more man portable fashion. I have decided on the 5.11 Rush 24, but I want to see if there is some other bag I am overlooking out there. I know opinions on 5.11 are divided, so if anyone has constructive criticism of my choice, go for it. I have not yet pushed the purchase button.

PM SteveSOS. He's put the 5.11 RUSH series through it's paces and had generally negative results.

I will say this though. I have a 5.11 RUSH 12 w/ 2 of the H2O pouches on the outside that I used as my EDC bag for awhile. For the simple task of carrying stuff to and from work, it worked well. It was organized and was small enough that I wasn't able to overpack it. That being said, I didn't rely on it to carry essential life saving equipment or trust my life to the bag. When I get into LE, I plan on using it as a daypack for the vehicle or as an assault pack to supplement the active shooter vest.

I recently bought another Camelbak Motherlode (old version) from a member here that I will be replacing the GHB in the truck with. The contents will be transferred and the current bag will be repurposed. Camelbak's bags are absolutely bullet proof. My other Motherlode is a veteran of 3 deployments (two to Iraq w/ one of my old team leaders, and my second Afghan tour) and is still holding strong. My Camelbak HAWG is also a veteran of 3 deployments (same as above) and is still going strong as well.

I'm making it a habit not to skimp on bags that I'm entrusting to hold up when I need them to. Having my $30 LA Police Gear pack fail on me when SHTF would be a potentially fatal mishap. YMMV. It is quite a bit of coin to drop on a pack that 99.9% of the time just sits there doing nothing, but it's worth all that and then some when the 1.1% of the time happens. The same logic is applied to our guns. Most of the time they don't do anything and just lay around. Expensive paperweights. But when you need them and they work, it's priceless.

Food for thought.

Edited by Jersey0311, 24 May 2014 - 10:57 PM.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#8 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

I use a 5.11 all hazards as a duty bag/edc bag and it has held up phenomenally. 

#9 Time Bandit

Time Bandit

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

I did a search for the car bag thread and was unable to find it. Can anyone help me locate it?
My camelback hawg and mule have my car bags with an elite first aid trauma kit 1 attached to them. I am now considering the LA Police gear pack mentioned as a larger kit option.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

It was a massive hijacking of this thread: http://itstactical.c...dsol1s-car-bag/

Redsol1 was a really good sport about it and it became an amazing discussion thread and got a lot of us thinking. Hope that helps.

• mangeface and redsol1 like this

89BccLb.png

#11 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I did a search for the car bag thread and was unable to find it. Can anyone help me locate it?
My camelback hawg and mule have my car bags with an elite first aid trauma kit 1 attached to them. I am now considering the LA Police gear pack mentioned as a larger kit option.

Negative on the LAPG pack. The first time I loaded the pack down, part of the seams that attached the strap to the body of the pack ripped. The pack was still useable, but in a compromised state. it only stayed as the car bag because I didn't have another to replace it at the time.

• DeathwatchDoc likes this

TBL-2.png

#12 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Negative on the LAPG pack. The first time I loaded the pack down, part of the seams that attached the strap to the body of the pack ripped. The pack was still useable, but in a compromised state. it only stayed as the car bag because I didn't have another to replace it at the time.

Roger that, I had a bad feeling bout it being quality at that price but it has a lot of positive reviews. Do you know how much you had in it weight wise?

89BccLb.png

#13 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

I only get LAPG bags when they throw 'em in as a freebie. Then they're a great value ;)

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#14 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Roger that, I had a bad feeling bout it being quality at that price but it has a lot of positive reviews. Do you know how much you had in it weight wise?

I think I was just tugging on the strap really hard while adjusting something else when I heard the seams rip a little. There wasn't anything in it. It supported the load fine, of about 20-25lbs or so, but still.

It's been relegated to hauling a change of clothes when I go to my TC3 instructor gig and gym bag.

I'll rephrase. The pack is certainly better than nothing. Really, it is. If you can use it to get you started in the right direction and get shit organized, then yeah I'd bite the bullet. But use it as a place holder til you can get something better. But faced with the option of lugging shit in my hands or in that pack, I'd take the pack in a heartbeat.

LAPG quality is hit or miss, much like PSA's PTAC line of ARs. My first pump we had a few guys who used the 3 day bag with amazing results. So it's hit or miss. You might get a gem, or a lemon. What's your life to bet on those kinds of odds?

Edited by Jersey0311, 25 May 2014 - 10:07 PM.

TBL-2.png

#15 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

It was a massive hijacking of this thread: http://itstactical.c...dsol1s-car-bag/

Redsol1 was a really good sport about it and it became an amazing discussion thread and got a lot of us thinking. Hope that helps.

It was worth the hijack. That turned into a really good discussion.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#16 sas099

sas099

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Check out Vanquest bags.  They will be releasing their backpacks any day now.  http://www.vanquest.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users