Photo

Leatherman Surge: Cap Crimper vs No Cap Crimper?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

I just became the proud owner of a Leatherman Surge :) Unfortunately, it seems that the one I received is not the one with the cap crimper built into the needlenose pliers, though that's the one that I ordered.

I'm debating sending it back, it's so nice to actually have it ;)

This is what I ordered: http://ASIN.cc/VYxzTW

It is pictured with a cap crimper and I believe I matched the model number to the one with the cap crimper.

However, I'm not even sure what a cap crimper is. What does this groove in the pliers give me the ability to do, and, more importantly, is it worth mailing back to Amazon and exchanging?

#2 victorgolf

victorgolf

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

From what I have read, the cap crimper has many uses, from blasting caps to electrical work, but I see a lot of people don't like having the cap crimper as they believe it weakens the pliers.

Untitled.png

#3 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

if you don't actually crimp things with the crimpers regularly, get the normal pliers. I dont know about weakening the jaws, but the crimpers are about the worst pliers you'll ever use. Hell, I actually crimp blasting caps regularly, and I hate those damned pliers. Granted they are better than no pliers at all, but I've actually gone to regular plier multitools and carrying a separate set of crimpers.

Edited by spenceman, 12 June 2014 - 10:43 PM.

• victorgolf likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Scratch that, I've never used the crimpers or pliers on the surge, I was thinking of the gerber. Here Anyway, The surge might be fine, however I wouldn't use it to crimp blasting caps, because it doesn't look remotely close to providing a proper crimp. Depending on what you're doing your results will range from a misfire to serious injury or death. So... yeah, I still recommend keeping the one you have.

• Jersey0311 likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#5 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

But spence, everyone has to have EOD tools and functions bro, necessity be damned.

If I want a spike on my knife to punch holes in C4 for blasting caps, then damnit I'll get it!

LOL

In all seriousness though, it would be interesting to see what sort of cool shit you use for work, tool wise, etc in a different thread. I know that my last pump I got to play with the robot. That thing was badass.

• Davis likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Hey man, I'm all about freedom of choice and capitalism, if people want to sink their money into stuff for the "cool" factor, go for it. I'm just sayin' that as a tool blasting cap crimpers and c-4 punches have a pretty limited usefulness, and when combined with needle-nose pliers, ruin an otherwise useful tool.

I might do up a post about the tools I use in the next week or two.

• PsychoFish and Jersey0311 like this

#7 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm glad with the ones I got :)

Being in IT, I thought that the cap crimper was for ethernet cables or something. If I need to work with C4 or blast caps, I'll be sure to get a tool better-suited for the job :)
  • Jersey0311 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users