19 replies to this topic

#1 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Here is the 75% solution on my Lightweight Multi-cam Kit. This kit is designed to be lightweight, slim, and fast, also I finally jumped on the multi-cam bandwagon and needed to accessorize.  I haven’t run it through 5011 training scenarios/classes yet, and I haven't had gorillas try to rip it apart, but everything is from reputable companies (so I don't foresee any equipment failures). Also, I don't use training missions to tell me about gear quality. Training evolutions generally tell me two things about gear: Does the design fit my missions/methods? Do I like it in a particular location? There is a lot of excellent gear out there that I want to love, but just doesn't fit my needs. So, if I don't seem happy with something here, it doesn't mean it's junk.

Also to answer a previous question about why this is in 2nd line, I'm just going with the forum subtitles (1st Line -What you carry on your person dependant on the situation. 2nd Line - Your primary weapon and the load that supports it.)

Attached File  Front.jpg   268.17KB   3 downloads

1. First Spear Mini Admin Pouch – Maybe a little too small, but it’s light and will hold a notebook, pen, mini-chem lights.
  2. SKD STT Plate Carrier w/ PIG shoulder pads– Super lightweight, very clean.
  3. Blue Force Gear SR25 Ten-Speed Pouch – great lightweight pouches, but Tacos are better suited to my needs. If you want these, they will end up in the Trade room soon.
  4. HSGI Sure Grip Belt – Not really lightweight, but it’s a great belt. If I switch to something lighter I’ll give it to my wife.

Attached File  Left.jpg   296.42KB   1 downloads

1. BFG SR25 Ten-Speed Pouch – see above
  2. HSGI Tacos on Raven Concealment Moduloader – Fantastic combo for running on a belt.
  3. Garmin Tactix – Okay, not really part of the kit, but it’s an amazing piece of gear. Unfortunately mine has a weird glitch, in the Hunt and Fish mode, it occasionally says it’s a “poor” day for hunting and fishing… this must be an error, as it is always an excellent day for those activities.

Attached File  Back.jpg   296.56KB   2 downloads

1. ATS Litelock Antidote hydration carrier – Very light, plenty sturdy, but with the STT plate carrier it mounts a little lower than I would like. Also I has no upper molle attachment, so the top can sag and flop around when you’re low on water. That being said it is compatible with the Source 3L WLPS. Out of the box I was kind of disappointed with this pouch, but it has grown on me.
  2. BFG Helium Whisper Dump Pouch – Very light, very compact, great choice if you’re limited on real estate. This probably won’t live here forever, but I’m moving soon and attaching it to my kit is the best way to not lose it.
  3. BFG Helium Whisper Medium Horizontal Utility Pouch – Great utility pouch, not great as an IFAK, I’ll probably replace it with a either an ITS med pouch or something like it.
  4. Tactical Tailor Fight Light Dump Pouch – bigger and heavier than the BFG pouch, but I think I like it more because the fabric is stiffer and holds its shape better when open.

Attached File  Right.jpg   275.98KB   2 downloads

1. TT Fight Light Multi-Purpose Pouch – Pretty good pouch, quiet access, not horribly bulky, not sure if it will meet my needs, but it should do the trick for a while.
  2. Gear Retractor – some no name brand, pretty stout spring, but it does the job.
  3. G-Code XST holster w/ RTI Duty Mount – I really like these holsters, they have the ruggedness and reliability of Safariland without the unnatural thumb movements to work the bale. Also the Duty Mount is great because it drops the pistol a few inches (getting it out of your armpit), and doesn’t require any leg straps.

One thing I would like to take the time to comment on is the use of new light weight fabrics (notably in the Hydration carrier and BFG dump pouch). On the one hand I want to hate them, they feel flimsy and weak. On the other, they are very light. I don’t think they will replace 1000D nylon any time soon in any branch of the military, but they may do the job for the typical user. Military issued gear is reissued over and over and has to survive the abuse of 10+ dudes over the course of 10+ years who don’t necessarily take care of their gear. However, if you’re buying your own gear you’re going to take care of it better. The two concerns of mine are going to be UV resistance and fire/heat resistance. Very thin nylon does not do well around heat sources, and can deteriorate quickly with prolonged sun exposure.  Time will tell, and when it does I’ll write about it.

• tremis, Davis and DirtyTrigger like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Well written brother! I always enjoy seeing what gear people are rolling and most specifically their feelings about it and why they chose it, so this kind of write up really is a joy to read. 

89BccLb.png

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Very nice! I purchased the XST for the same reasons you listed, but I got it on the MULE rig instead. I got an email yesterday saying it should be shipped in a week. I got the bfg helium whisper ten-speed triple m4 pouch for the front of my issue flack because it was very light weight and low profile, but I have subsequently learned that it's a royal kick in the dick if you want to resecure your mags quickly. I'm looking hard at the HSP D3CR as a replacement system for the front of my flack, as a couple 03s that I know highly recommend it, and replacing the issue cumberbund with first spear tubes replacement kit. Let me know how you like the STT, I might want to get it for a personal PC now that  Grey Gear is selling affordable Level IV plates.

I know once I get everything complete and we go to a field op, (esp if it's one where we have to put on our flacks for some reason) I'll either be "that guy" or get yelled at by a 1stSgt or SgtMaj for having a bunch of non-issue shit, but I'd rather that happen for gear that works better than have a bunch of heavy crappy equipment that makes me feel like a turtle or something.

I'd really like to just go all the way and get the PLATEminus2 plate carrier, but I'd have to pick up a couple more rockers to pull off something so radically different from the issued PC I think.

http://www.blueforce...ateminus-2.html

• Jersey0311 likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally wrote a well thought out response to both of you guys and then some how hit the wrong keys to go "back" in my browser and lost it all..... stand by for me to recreate that lost post from my alcohol inhibited memory.

• iExpresso, Jersey0311, AggieSheepdog and 1 other like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#5 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

Awesome write up.  Equipment looks good.   You have given me some thoughts.  

Love the shorts by the way.   O_O

:::edit:::

OK, maybe your not wearing shorts...  maybe my imagination took over.  Oh geeze..  

I need another drink.

Edited by DirtyTrigger, 20 June 2014 - 11:22 PM.

• mangeface and DirtyTrigger like this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

Disclaimer: As previously mentioned, alcohol was involved in the writing of this response. Contrary to all better judgment, even more alcohol was used to recover the post that was lost to fat fingers and computer f**kery.

@ Deathwatchdoc. Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad that I was able to successfully get to the meat and potatoes of gear selection. I try to keep my ear to the ground and see what new and exciting things are happening , but am often disappointed in that so many reviews are based on market popularity. While market popularity is very much financially relevant, it isn’t very helpful for mission oriented gear selection….. perhaps I should start a collaborative Youtube channel based on that. In any case I’m glad that I was able to be concise and relevant.

@Psybain. I have a coyote brown XST for the Beretta that I can spare, if you run into any snags before you deploy, let me know and I’ll see if I can’t get it to you in time. The MULE platform is pretty damn good. If I had to decide between having a pistol strapped to my leg or left in the rear, I will leave it in the rear, so the DUTY platform is the best solution for me. Intellectually the MULE style holsters are better at least until you’re humping several miles with it strapped to your leg.

As far as the stars and diamonds go, they’ll never understand. If you have your heart set on the PLATEminus, save up for it and get it. I don’t’ have any experience with that PC, but I am a devout convert to the non-molle yet molle compatible platforms out there. Between the solid third party testing and the reduction in production time and cost, they are the wave of the future. I don’t know which system will win out, but they 6/12 is great and I’m sure the PLATEminus is no joke.

In any case, if you load up your plate carrier with enough pouches it will disguise the fact that there is no molle webbing. Color/pattern options are easy if you’re using it for work, coyote is the way to go. But if you’re mostly personal/civilian use, go with what’s most available/effective in your area.

Again, thanks all for your kind words, it makes taking the time to write this worthwhile. Also it gives me something productive to do when I drink more than necessary and the wife is hanging out with her friends.

@DirtyTrigger, My shorts and I aren’t sure whether to be flattered or creeped out…. We’ll go with flattered. LOL. :beer:

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

As is usually the case after the regulars bake a post, I am suddenly finding myself inspired to spend money and make things better. So for that Spenceman I say thank you and my wallet says you suck! 

But seriously, thanks for a awesome write up manI

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

@Psybain. I have a coyote brown XST for the Beretta that I can spare, if you run into any snags before you deploy, let me know and I’ll see if I can’t get it to you in time. The MULE platform is pretty damn good. If I had to decide between having a pistol strapped to my leg or left in the rear, I will leave it in the rear, so the DUTY platform is the best solution for me. Intellectually the MULE style holsters are better at least until you’re humping several miles with it strapped to your leg.

As far as the stars and diamonds go, they’ll never understand. If you have your heart set on the PLATEminus, save up for it and get it. I don’t’ have any experience with that PC, but I am a devout convert to the non-molle yet molle compatible platforms out there. Between the solid third party testing and the reduction in production time and cost, they are the wave of the future. I don’t know which system will win out, but they 6/12 is great and I’m sure the PLATEminus is no joke.

In any case, if you load up your plate carrier with enough pouches it will disguise the fact that there is no molle webbing. Color/pattern options are easy if you’re using it for work, coyote is the way to go. But if you’re mostly personal/civilian use, go with what’s most available/effective in your area.

Thanks for the insight and the offer. Luckily, we aren't slated to deploy any time soon, but if they decide to send us to save the day in syria or iraq I'll let you know. I made sure to get the RTI version of the holster, so I just may get a duty platform as a back up for retarded humps. Lucky, I live a POG-ish, nerfy kind of life, so I don't typically have to deal with humps or patrols or anything like that. For better or for worse, that kind of precludes my need to have an overly pouchy rig. I've got multicam pants for range use/yardwork/systema training, so I am debating whether to get multicam gear to go with it, or to just stick with coyote stuff so I can easily integrate it with my work gear if need be to save some money. I'm not quite at the point where I can easily budget for an entirely separate plate carrier for personal use, so I have a while to make that decision.

#9 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

Psybain, if it helps, Coyote gear goes well with MC kit. Coyote pretty much goes with just about anything.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Awesome, just what I needed to know. I had suspected that was the case, but thanks for confirming it Jersey.

#11 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Awesome, just what I needed to know. I had suspected that was the case, but thanks for confirming it Jersey.

CB gear looks really good over MC clothes. I've been weighing the idea of joining the Guard unit here since they're not gonna wear the moon camo anymore, and I can get away with wearing a PC of my choosing, just to be able to put some of my gear at home into somewhat regular use.

I've always been one to think that one color everything looks strange. I've always preferred the look of some contrast.

TBL-2.png

#12 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, I hate wearing all pf one color in civvies, and refuse to buy bags or gear in digital camo because it stands out for half the year.

#13 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

CB is the new black.

TBL-2.png

#14 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

CB is the new black.

I thought gray was the new black!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#15 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Grey is the new CB which is the new Black. Its layers man, like really deep. (Hippy/stoner voice in your head would help you read this)

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#16 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Grey is the new CB which is the new Black. Its layers man, like really deep. (Hippy/stoner voice in your head would help you read this)

Yeah dude, it's like the primate brain contains the mamalian brain that contains the reptillian brain. Live in the now, bro :cool:

#17 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Speaking of now, orange is the new black, and Laura Prepon is the same old hot.

• Davis likes this

#18 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

I stopped looking for a rear plate carrier for my Eagle Rhodesian chest rig. Also decided that my chest rig as currently laid out is uncomfortable in the prone position. I also don't want to run steel plates.

I seem want a light weight, low pro plate carrier. I am converting my kit from chest rig to HSGI Sure grip belt. I want to be able to walk up and down hills, without huffing and puffing, and 30+ lbs. of chest rig is too much.

What to consider? SST, Pig, PlateMinimus, other?

#19 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

The plateminus 2 seems pretty awesome on paper, they're releasing it in green first and coyote next. The the pig systema rig might be a good option too, you can keep it pretty low profile.

#20 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I found the DKX line that seems lightweight but thick. Don't know if the First Spear gear will accommodate the thick plates.

The PIG stuff has my attention. I don't like the feeling of marshmallow man.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SKD, Fight light, HSGI, Tactical Tailor, Blue Force Gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users