• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Not to take away from Davis 1911 thread here: http://itstactical.c...r-pro-tlerl-ii/ (which by the way is a nice deal)

I wanted to ask a quick question about another Kimber 1911 that I have been offered.

The gun in question is the Kimber 1911 Classic Custom Target pictured below.... It was purchased new by my seller in December of 2001 making it almost 13 years old.

Understanding that the 1911 is technically an old design to begin with, would you consider a 13 year old hand gun with an estimated 500 rounds down the pipe too old to pay premium dollar for?

Attached Files

• Davis likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Firstly, thanks for the mention and note of my Kimber, much appreciated!

In my opinion, assuming the gun is still in top condition and the internal and external parts/components do not show signs of excess wear and tear, than age is not really a factor. It may be 13 years old, but if it is in the same exact condition of a 3 year old gun, and is not a completely outdated model than I would personally feel that it is still worth it. 

Edited by Davis, 09 July 2014 - 05:32 PM.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

I am not sure if they did it on these models but I know there was a lot of net hype about how unreliable external extractor Kimbers are so its worth verifying that it doesn't have an external extractor.  Again ymmv just what I got doing a little reading.  Other then that 500 rounds total through the gun as long as it was relatively well maintained and oiled which it looks like it was 13 years really isn't bad at all.  Hell I know a guy up in kodiak that has an origional tupperware gen1 Glock that I am pretty sure is older then me and still runs like a champ. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

So, the trade went without a hitch, and since it was done through Craigslist we both came strapped =)

(I don't feel like being a Craigslist rape victim)

Anyhow, I took it to the range today and H-O-L-Y Sheite Muslims!

I have never had a pistol shoot so straight!

It was a laser beam right out of the box and I didn't even get a chance to clean it and prep it yet.  It has not reached the recommended 500 rounds before being broken in and already runs as smooth as butter.

5-10 yards it was right where I put the sights.  The .45 out shot my 9mm and .380 without question.

Up to 10 yards I was seeing 1.5" groups with a ton of keyholes.  15-20 yards I got 2-2.5" groups.

I think with more time I can reduce that size considerably.

With all the above said I will be the first to admit I'm not the most accurate shooter.  I'm freaky fast but that's about it... even when I try to slow it down to improve my groups I am usually a bit all over.
Double taps gave me similar results, everything was on target.

Edited by DStevenson, 12 July 2014 - 03:57 PM.

• mangeface and DeathwatchDoc like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

Nicely done deal, you just keep trading up. Nice acquisition overall.

89BccLb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users