• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

So I currently wear a brown leather (Old Navy) belt for EDC, but I'm wanting something more designed for carrying a firearm and associated gear, but yet doesn't scream "TACTICOOL" if I don't have any of that stuff on. Heard some good stuff about Galco's belts, but wanting to see what else is out there. Mainly looking at black leather belts, but open to suggestions.

Edited by mangeface, 01 August 2014 - 06:45 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

+1 for Glaco being awesome when it comes to leather products. Safariland also makes leather belts and all there stuff is pretty top notch and lastly, Boston Leather is another good brand to look at. They make some really superior leather products but you do tend to pay for them. 

• mangeface likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Disse gear makes some nice thick leather belts made for carry as well. I bought one of their buckle-less models and its very nice.

Edited by Geist, 01 August 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

I've been wearing either a brown or black 5.11 Apex Gunners belt every day for the last two years or so. They are fantastic! From what I gather they are very similar to the Liger Belts, except you can find them instock. While they may be a little plain look really good, completely non descript. On the rare occasion that I need to wear a suit, the black one blends in perfectly with that as well. They have a flexible comfort, but support the weight of a full size 1911 and spare mag without any deformation whatsoever. 

• mangeface likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

There is the "UNICORN" of belts by Maxpedition called Liger belts but good luck finding those.

I've heard good things about the 5.11 Apex Gunners belt but I'm not sure on the fastening system... Spenceman, can you comment?

A step up price wise would be the Ares Gear Aegis Belt (http://www.aresgear....products_id=454)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yes I can, there's a double hook sort of deal....

Attached File  belt2.jpg   63.46KB   6 downloads

It's very durable, this belt only suffered a few minor scratches after being draged down a dirt road during a mass cas. exercise.

Attached File  belt1.jpg   46.68KB   1 downloads

A couple years old and they both look pretty much brand new, no stretching, warping, or any other deformation.

Attached File  belt3.jpg   59.1KB   3 downloads

• DStevenson and DieselD like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

I have the 5.11 Apex belt as well, it is very durable and strong, it was once described to me that the material is essentially what they use to make the lifting straps/bands for elevators, so it's tuff as hell. This is the same material for Stevenson's "Unicorn" belt. My biggest complaint of the Apex is the buckle, it is very sturdy and strong, I just personally prefer a buckle that the end passes through.    

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#8 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

I use a homemade cobra belt. You can get webbing for $0.60 per foot!

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

I like the idea AaronK but don't like that the cobra buckle doesn't fit through the belt loops, you have to refasten it everytime.

Edited by DStevenson, 03 August 2014 - 08:10 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#10 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Contact Charles Byrd - 1-855-Gun Belt from Tucker and Byrd Holsters best damned leather belt i've ever had. It's considerably thicker than the Galco, in fact a good friend of mine traded his Galco in for one of these at the gun show a few months ago. He had good things to say about the Galco but was very happy with his new belt from Tucker Byrd. 

www.tuckerandbyrd.com 

Here are some pics I took of my belt.

Attached File  WP_20140807_08_05_57_Pro.jpg   59.33KB   1 downloads

Attached File  WP_20140807_08_06_54_Pro.jpg   72.7KB   0 downloads

Edited by nroeber78, 08 August 2014 - 12:44 PM.

• mangeface likes this

#11 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

I like the idea AaronK but don't like that the cobra buckle doesn't fit through the belt loops, you have to refasten it everytime.

While Mike is the standard cobra buckle with the drawback you mentioned, there are cobra buckles where the male end can loop through belt loops.

#12 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Are you saying you take your EDC off...Ever?! Just wear that shit to bed and learn the art of the dynamic sponge bath.  I have been looking at the Ares gear Aegis for a while now.  Maybe I will give the 5.11 another look as well. 

• mangeface and Jersey0311 like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#13 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Dynamic sponge bath? Epic

#14 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Been looking for a good EDC CCW belt. So far that 5.11 belt seems to fit the bill. Gonna have to invest in one and give it a go.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#15 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

Awesome suggestions gents. Made my decision 10x harder cause so many good ones.

VQz5Nwz.png

#16 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

This is ITS, you knew what posting such a question would do... You knew the risks... 

• mangeface likes this

89BccLb.png

#17 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

I like to live dangerously.

VQz5Nwz.png

#18 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

I like to live dangerously.

So you're saying you don't plan on getting any SKD Zombie Condoms for the Zpoc? Bold move my man, bold move.

• mangeface, Davis, Jersey0311 and 1 other like this

#19 AKFiremedic

AKFiremedic

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

I just order the Crossbreed Instructor belt this morning. Looks nice, and there is no belt buckle. Might help for appendix carry. I'm not sure what there is instead of a buckle.

CrewLeaderSignature_zps95b560b9.png

#20 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

So you're saying you don't plan on getting any SKD Zombie Condoms for the Zpoc? Bold move my man, bold move.

Well I would love to, but I'm allergic to latex. Maybe if they make a latex free version.

VQz5Nwz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users