48 replies to this topic

#1 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

EDC (Every Day Carry), What it is...How it should work.

Every day carry, or EDC, is a common practice amongst not only LEAF professionals and EMS, but common citizens that have the desire to never be caught off guard or unprepared for a myriad of situations.

EDC for most people consists of normal every day items, wallet, watch, pocket knife, extra money in your shoe...stuff like that. However for some of us EDC takes on a new shape as tools used with specific training that help us through situations both seen and unseen.

The very root of EDC can be traced very simply back to OSS trade-craft, and more recently through the cold war and present day spy games. Does this mean we have pens that turn into guns? Watches with laser beams? A movie camera that turns into a sniper rifle? No of course not, what it does however mean is that we have as much wearable and innocuous kit on us as possible at all times. Items to help us achieve goals when an out of the norm situation arises.

Most of the common EDC items that people carry (or should if they are smart, in my opinion) are things that have more than one use, not necessarily something that was designed for multiple uses but can be used through creative manipulation to achieve many tasks. For example, a wedding ring, can easily be used as a bottle opener. A bicycle chain can be used to break padlocks. A quality watch can be used to start fire. A proper pen can be used as a defense weapon.

Once again most of this boils down to your brain, your training and your willpower to carry on. I will not be giving you really much insight into macgyverisms however suffice it to say that how well you train and study coupled with your ability to think far outside the box will help you shape your EDC in a way that allows you to do more with less.

The problem that we face with EDC is how to carry everything that we perceive as a needed item without carrying extraneous items that would be convenient but not necessary. As mentioned before there are a couple ways to attack this, and we will talk about them more a little bit later. With that said, this is where you really have to either temper your paranoia or flat out become a realist about what you think you will need based off a situation that not only hasn’t happened but likely will never happen.

So first, like all kit and preparation, you have to identify your mission. Sounds fairly easy right? It really isn’t, in the military its clear...here is what you are doing, here is your intel, and if everything goes right its in out and done. Though you hear military people exclaiming how FUBAR everything is the fact of the matter is with proper intel and planning most missions go to plan 90% of the time. Usually things only go bad when A intel is off and they are not prepared for X to happen. Or B an x factor just comes along and messes up the entire party, much like “The Lone Survivor”.

So really take stock of what you think will happen, this will put the mirror in front of your face and you may say to yourself “Wow... its amazing how crazy paranoid I really am”. However when you come to terms with that and can clearly identify the actual perceived threat beyond the veil of your unreasonable paranoia allowing you to clearly define the tools you will need to persevere, or at least the tools needed to get you to an actual bug out bag or just your B element.

The above is absolutely critical in planning EDC. If you do not heed this you will have your pockets stuffed with a bunch of extraneous crap that not only wont serve your needs but will keep you from seeing the items you actually need.

Why we carry EDC.

Well the obviousness of the personalities that partake in EDC, Prepping, BOB's etc are that we are all to a certain degree dented. You can get as mad as you want at that statement but at your core you will know its the truth. Whether you are ex LEAF or just someone that doesn’t trust his fellow man in the least, somewhere in your brain some stuff is misfiring. That isn’t a bad thing. All of the genius people in this world had the same issue, our genius is just in profiling people and situations and tailoring our lives to being able to circumvent issues that may or may not arise.

People call me crazy and paranoid all the time, it really isn’t that big of a deal to me. I get that I have issues, but my issues have always served me well constantly pushing me to know and do things other people can't. You all would be wise to view it the same way. Let it fuel your fire. Going right when everyone else went left, moving to the open when others moved to cover. These facts are what have kept me alive, and allowed me to thrive when others fail. Remember a simple fact; sometimes digging in may be the textbook answer, but isn’t the best plan.

So we have covered that your paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing, however paranoia can cloud your view. The trick is to hone your perception through your paranoia, to allow your brain to imagine the worst case scenario and then compartmentalize it into a realistic scenario that you can readily prepare for. Again, this is easier said than done, but I can promise once you do this your life and preparation will become so much easier.

The bad part about you facing your paranoia and not caring what others think is a double edged sword. It will indeed give you more confidence and push you to think outside the box, while at the same time it will make you not care what others think about you. How you look and how you act, this is not a good thing for you. I know, I know... I just told you not to care what people think, and you shouldn't. However you should temper it in order to achieve your mission goals. Remember the origins of EDC... OSS and other secretive services, embrace that. If you do not... you risk making yourself a target when the situation comes. Remember EDC is more about clandestine operations than anything else. It is supposed to help you achieve goals, and most times the goals cannot be achieved in the spotlight.

Typical EDC Theory.

The typical theory around EDC is that you can carry items that can either carry you through a normal day all the way through the rapture. This always sounds great in theory, but in itself is unrealistic, as is bugging out for most people(I will explain this in another paper, why I hate bugging out ideas).

So what we do here is formulate our mission scenarios and plan accordingly, once we do that we can formulate a kit to accomplish the missions at hand. However for it to be a true EDC kit you have to take the items you just chose to carry and cut them down to the bare bones, to about 25% of what you originally picked. I know this sounds crazy, however its not. It will do a couple things. One it will show you the path to better training, the less gear you need the better off you are and the more likely you are to think on your feet. Two it will cut down on weight and force you to look at your gear in a better more objective light. Three it will be far more innocuous to the casual observer.

So with all that said you have the very complicated task of clearly defining mission parameters, assessing possible threat, assessing egress, and determining what gear you need to accomplish these goals, then cutting your kit down.

Once you figure this out and have the training to match, there will be no situation that you cant just walk in or out of without relative confidence. As a bonus, imagine how well you will do when you have a fully operational kit instead of just a bare bones EDC kit.

Typical EDC Items.

Now for the part that all of you will skip forward to read, which by the way is what is wrong with most people that carry EDC, they just want the gear list without the understanding of its uses or the philosophy behind it. But that is neither here nor there for this section, This is merely a list of items that I carry every day, I will split them up into wearable, carried, and packed. (I hate to do this because it will show my paranoia but here it goes.)

Worn Items

• Discrete tactical pants, or other cargo pants. (Vertex, Columbia, Northface, 5.11)

• (2) upholstery needles in the belt line

• Small amount of high strength thread in belt line.

• Undershirt (any tshirt, doesn’t matter)

• Over shirt (could be really anything I tend to wear tactical polo's or button ups.

• Extra money and ID in inner pocket

• Small amount of duct tape in inner pocket

• Arclite Sidewinder Riggers Belt

• Milspec Monkey Tactical Hat

• Innerband looped snare line

• Under Armour OPS Boot, or Danner TFX

• SnakeKnit Double Loop Necklace with Circular Neodymium magnet pendant

• Small Diameter Surgical Tubing inside weave

• Small Diameter razor wire in plastic sheath inside surgical tubing.

• ReFactor Tactical Ops Bracelet

• Snare line in bracelet

• Small fish hooks in bracelet

• Fishing Line Inside bracelet

• Suunto compass

• p-38 canopener on bracelet

• small ferro rod on bracelet

• hidden handcuff key in bracelet

• Oakley X-metals or Oakley Jawbones

• Shemagh

• Oakley Watch or Suunto Core Watch

• Titanium Wedding Band

Carried Items

• Wallet

• Cash

• ID

• Flat Titanium Lock Picks

• Shove Picks

• Surefire Fury

• Small ITS Rite in Rain Notebook

• Surefire Pen

• Benchmade Infidel

• Benchmade SOCP

• Leatherman Wave & Bits

• Sig Sauer P226 Dark Elite (Comptac minotaur)

• Spare Magazine (9mm 124gr ball ammo)

• Zippo

• Galaxy Note 3 with a myriad of downloaded goodness.

• Bose Noise canceling Ear buds with Mic

• Small Admin Pouch

• Superglue

• Small roll of duct tape

• (2) 123 Batteries

• (4) Antiobiotic Ointment

• (1) Large Bandage

• (6) Small Bandaids

• (2) Scalpel Blades

• Tweezers

• (2) Upholstery Needles

• (2) Black Diamond Locking carabineers

• Key Ring

• Common auto jiggler

• Southord Folding Pick Set

• Kuboton

Packed Items

• AAC Tirant

• Petzl Exo

• (4)Black Diamond Carabineers

• Sidewinder Leg Straps

• Set of Rain Gear

• Seal Socks

• Full Lock Pick Set

• (4) CR123 Batteries

• (50ft) 550 Cord

• Small Roll of duct tape

• Exotac Metal Match

• Exotac Matchcap XL with windproof matches

• Goal Zero Small panel with recharger kit and (4) Rechargeable AA Batteries as well as phone adapter.

• Camelbak bladder

• Spare Magazine

• Benchmade SOCP

• (3) Runners

• Petzl TiBloc

• Quickclot

• Tourniquet

• Ace Bandage

• Aspirin

• Bleeder Set

• Trach Kit

• (4) Protein Bars

• MIOX

Seems like a lot I know, but its really not that pack doesn't weigh much maybe 20 pounds. As for the rest being carried on me day to day. I look like every other trendy shemagh wearing hipster in Portland, until you look at my hat and my shoes.

This level of kit... even without the pack, the pack is what I call comfort items, but even without the pack I am confident on my ability to escape nearly anything. 

Edited by SteveSOS, 04 August 2014 - 03:36 PM.

• spenceman, iExpresso, headrusch and 4 others like this
Posted Image

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Good shit as always brother. Is your website up and running yet? More YouTube vids on the way?

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Moved, Merged, and Squared Away!

Also, well written Steve.

89BccLb.png

#4 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

thanks sorry for mis posting it

Posted Image

#5 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

I cant believe I didn't get any questions on the gear I carry, normally I get a metric ton of that.

Posted Image

#6 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

I cant believe I didn't get any questions on the gear I carry, normally I get a metric ton of that.

OK, fine. What pack do you pack your pack items in? And can you use the word pack more than three times in a sentence?

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Steve, first off man it's good to see you back on here, you were gone for awhile.

That was a long post and I'm going to read through it again, but the first thing that jumped out to me was the 124 gr. ball ammo you noted in your spare mag. The way you noted it makes me first wonder if you carry different ammo in your P226 than in your spare, and my second question is why 124 gr. ball vs. a +P?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#8 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome back.

And I use a fight or flight tactical llama pack.

As for the ammo I always use ball. I never use defense ammo never use +p a couple reasons why:

1 it's cheap to train with and I train with what I carry.

2. 124gr is slower and has less chance of through and through.

3. I run a suppressor a lot, slower the better

4. No the spare mag and what's in the gun are the same forgot to specify.
  • Davis likes this
Posted Image

#9 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Typical EDC Items.

Now for the part that all of you will skip forward to read, which by the way is what is wrong with most people that carry EDC, they just want the gear list without the understanding of its uses or the philosophy behind it. But that is neither here nor there for this section, This is merely a list of items that I carry every day, I will split them up into wearable, carried, and packed. (I hate to do this because it will show my paranoia but here it goes.)

Worn Items

• Discrete tactical pants, or other cargo pants. (Vertex, Columbia, Northface, 5.11)

• (2) upholstery needles in the belt line

• Small amount of high strength thread in belt line.

• Undershirt (any tshirt, doesn’t matter)

• Over shirt (could be really anything I tend to wear tactical polo's or button ups.

• Extra money and ID in inner pocket

• Small amount of duct tape in inner pocket

• Arclite Sidewinder Riggers Belt

• Milspec Monkey Tactical Hat

• Innerband looped snare line

• Under Armour OPS Boot, or Danner TFX

• SnakeKnit Double Loop Necklace with Circular Neodymium magnet pendant

• Small Diameter Surgical Tubing inside weave

• Small Diameter razor wire in plastic sheath inside surgical tubing.

• ReFactor Tactical Ops Bracelet

• Snare line in bracelet

• Small fish hooks in bracelet

• Fishing Line Inside bracelet

• Suunto compass

• p-38 canopener on bracelet

• small ferro rod on bracelet

• hidden handcuff key in bracelet

• Oakley X-metals or Oakley Jawbones

• Shemagh

• Oakley Watch or Suunto Core Watch

• Titanium Wedding Band

Carried Items

• Wallet

• Cash

• ID

• Flat Titanium Lock Picks

• Shove Picks

• Surefire Fury

• Small ITS Rite in Rain Notebook

• Surefire Pen

• Benchmade Infidel

• Benchmade SOCP

• Leatherman Wave & Bits

• Sig Sauer P226 Dark Elite (Comptac minotaur)

• Spare Magazine (9mm 124gr ball ammo)

• Zippo

• Galaxy Note 3 with a myriad of downloaded goodness.

• Bose Noise canceling Ear buds with Mic

• Small Admin Pouch

• Superglue

• Small roll of duct tape

• (2) 123 Batteries

• (4) Antiobiotic Ointment

• (1) Large Bandage

• (6) Small Bandaids

• (2) Scalpel Blades

• Tweezers

• (2) Upholstery Needles

• (2) Black Diamond Locking carabineers

• Key Ring

• Common auto jiggler

• Southord Folding Pick Set

• Kuboton

Packed Items

• AAC Tirant

• Petzl Exo

• (4)Black Diamond Carabineers

• Sidewinder Leg Straps

• Set of Rain Gear

• Seal Socks

• Full Lock Pick Set

• (4) CR123 Batteries

• (50ft) 550 Cord

• Small Roll of duct tape

• Exotac Metal Match

• Exotac Matchcap XL with windproof matches

• Goal Zero Small panel with recharger kit and (4) Rechargeable AA Batteries as well as phone adapter.

• Camelbak bladder

• Spare Magazine

• Benchmade SOCP

• (3) Runners

• Petzl TiBloc

• Quickclot

• Tourniquet

• Ace Bandage

• Aspirin

• Bleeder Set

• Trach Kit

• (4) Protein Bars

• MIOX

Seems like a lot I know, but its really not that pack doesn't weigh much maybe 20 pounds. As for the rest being carried on me day to day. I look like every other trendy shemagh wearing hipster in Portland, until you look at my hat and my shoes.

This level of kit... even without the pack, the pack is what I call comfort items, but even without the pack I am confident on my ability to escape nearly anything. 

A few points....

1.) If that's only 25% of what you want to carry, I would hate to see the original list.

2.) Another great post, and one of my favorite things about ITS is that we really get at the WHY? behind things. On that note, roughly what distance are you commuting to and from work usually, and what sort of terrain are you crossing. Those are important factors that I know you've taken into account, but should definitely be part of your original post (as I'm sure that drives your decision to carry snare wire).

3.) Can you go into a little more detail on the necklace and post a couple of pictures when you get the time? I've been contemplating starting to wear one, and possibly with a neck knife, and I like the multi-purpose design you're using.

4.) You've definitely turned me on to the SOCP, it seems to be a more functional idea than a neck knife. I watched a couple of youtube videos that the designer made, and I REALLY don't like his tactics in the videos (partly because he's trying to use them to sell the knife), but the idea behind the knife and it's employment is great.

5.) Can you talk a little more about the upholstery needles and your ideas for employing them. Shimming hand cuffs comes to mind as one use, and some quick gear repair is another, but what else do you have in mind?

And a couple of suggestions.... 1.) Consider carrying another 50-100ft of non-550 cord with little to no stretch and a bit more strength. 550 is fantastic, and cheap, but some applications its no good at least for me. I carry this stuff, it's a bit more expensive so I don't want to go and waste it on everything, but it's very stong, very thin, and its very flame and heat resistant. Again, not everyone needs that sort of line, but it has some very desireable properties for those that need it (and in a pinch I would trust it as a rappel line once or twice).

2.) Add a hook or two to the packed gear, not like a grappling hook to scale buildings, but a compact grappling hook for moving hazardous obastacles remotely, i.e. burning/very hot objects, razor/barbed wire type blockades, etc. I've seen some pretty slick two-pronged ones made from standard door hinges, it just requires a bit of cutting and welding. When you're on foot these work well, but in a vehicle heavy duty hooks with heavy duty line (like amsteel blue) are a better for heavy obstacles.

• Superman likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#10 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

This is a snake knot necklace. Ill make one in a video shortly to show you how to tie it and whats inside it.

http://www.cmstatic1...C4yMDM3NDg=.jpg

The terrain I cross every day is very mild unless im out of my normal area. Its simply small town, over a river, on the freeway, through an industrial park. I am never really worried about what is happening here at my home area, but you never know. its usually when I leave the area or am in a city. 

As far as the amount, that isnt 25% of my normal load, I have the hardest time practicing what I preach a lot of days. This is my normalish EDC, usually though the only stuff that gets ditched is the stuff in the pack or some carried stuff, and really at the end of the day it looks like a long list but its not. Ill post a picture of me dressed and with everything on then as I take stuff off and set it on the table. When it comes to it I may ditch my pistol, I may ditch my infidel or my surefire but past that most of that stuff i view as an absolute necessity. See this is where I make myself look crazy. 

As far as the 550 cord, I usually have a spool in the car, right now there are 8 spools in the car (just got back from the place i buy it from) the adding the hook i never thought about the Petzl Exo has a hook on it and usually there are gloves in my car or on my pack. 

and for not carrying 550 cord, there is 75 feet of 7.8mm heat resistant static line in a petzl exo. 

there are a lot of reasons why I carry the stuff I carry. Mostly for rapid egress. Some of it is for combat but most of it i just to get away. 

Posted Image

#11 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Steve, do you know if they ever run sales or significant discounts on that fight or flight pack?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#12 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

I don't know but I can tell you it's worth the cash. It's very well built and my only two complaints are the belt and the straps. The belt and straps aren't the original contoured design but they are still comfortable
  • Davis likes this
Posted Image

#13 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Wow, thats an amazing list there. I've looked up most of it as I wasn't sure exactly what it was (new to this). Thanks for the lengthy post as its opened my eyes to some things I hadn't even thought about.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, Steve does that to a lot of folks (myself included).

Thats one of the things thats amazing about this forum, we are always constantly learning from each other. 

• mangeface and CrazyD like this

89BccLb.png

#15 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

;) Deathwatch, I try to be as confounding as possible, forces people to talk to me. 

Any questions you have about the gear go ahead and ask CrazyD. I could speak on this stuff for days.

Posted Image

#16 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

And Spence to elaborate further on your questions:

The SOCP is a great carry choice, especially now that they have a serrated version more tuned to actual fighting instead of just poking people. I've began to use that as a staple knife in any knife defense class that I teach. Many of the tactics that surround that knife are kind of pointless, especially if you don't already have a background in hand to hand or knife fighting. However some of the base fundamental ideas behind knife fighting and hand to hand can make this knife and insanely effective tool for both offense and defense. 

Upholstery needles are always useful for a couple reasons. Top of the list is the tool it can become for defeating locks, even electronic ones. The other thing that I mainly use them for is suturing, curved upholstery needles are easy to thread when you are hurt, they are easy to suture with and keep a grip on. The only downfall is how painful a large gauge needle is when suturing, but that pain can be mitigated simply by finding the nearest hook to hand your purse on, after all if you are bleeding to the point of self suture it probably wont be an issue. 

Posted Image

#17 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ok Steve, you offered so I got questions haha.

Worn Items

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#18 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

LOL so just all of it?

Posted Image

#19 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Sorry, tried to edit and after filling it all in, it told me i don't have permission to. so here is the rest haha.

Titanium Ring? Usefulness of it being titanium other then style and preference?

Benchmade SOCP? You mentioned the tactics behind it being pointless to someone that doesn't have the training. Would you recommend a better knife more suited to someone with no training or is this still a great Carry Knife to have regardless of the training someone has had in Hand to Hand or Knife Tactics?

Common Auto Jiggler?

Kuboton?

Exotac Metal Match? i found the metal cap but what is the metal match?

itstactical.png

#20 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I use the titanium ring because its indestructible, personally tested it to 2.2 Knw So believe it or not I can use it as a wedge anchor. Also i can use it to wedge doors, elevator doors, jam gears etc. And it makes a really nifty bottle opener.

The SOCP can be used by either trained or untrained people well. The main reason is its a weapon that once deployed is hard to lose and only sharp about .5 inches of the point making it a great ditch stabbing weapon. The serrated one takes more training. When you have the proper training this can be an insanely good weapon for fighting and defense.

The Auto jigglers. On my keyring are three common auto jigglers for Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge from 1997 back. So if i need a vehicle most ricky tick I can find one of those makes before that date range and drive it away with relative ease.

Kubotans are often seen as key rings. They are in fact a solid piece of machine aluminum with a point that can be used to break glass or bone, as a fist pack, leverage tool, or pressure point exploiter.

Exotac firestarter is what i mean, I call almost all of these metal matches no matter the make. My bad.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users